• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
We will let you help us understand the shortcomings since the article didn't.
"Because as good as Supercharger network may be in terms of uptime and operation, all charging networks—Tesla's included—have a long ways to go in terms of overall user experience. Functional and fast chargers in a safe, well-lit location are only table stakes. All charging networks should also offer protection from the elements, trash and recycling bins, and clean restroom facilities available at all hours."

I guess you think that connecting up a Supercharger in the pouring rain and blinding sun and not having a restroom available after several hours on the road without a restroom break is not part of shortcomings of the Supercharger experience.

It's also interesting how people spin the "worsening marketing conditions". When you are the sole leader for years and you still have 60% of the market and other manufactures are just getting to market, yes your share will decline every day. However reality is - your share is declining, but you are producing more vehicles than ever and charging more.
Tesla stock is down more than 50% from its' peak, Tesla PE ratio is still running at several multiples of most other automakers and Tesla keeps lowering the price of the Model 3, further reducing profit margins, to stay competitive. If you don't see those as worsening market conditions, you're blind.
Sponsored

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
"Because as good as Supercharger network may be in terms of uptime and operation, all charging networks—Tesla's included—have a long ways to go in terms of overall user experience. Functional and fast chargers in a safe, well-lit location are only table stakes. All charging networks should also offer protection from the elements, trash and recycling bins, and clean restroom facilities available at all hours."

I guess you think that connecting up a Supercharger in the pouring rain and blinding sun and not having a restroom available after several hours on the road without a restroom break is not part of shortcomings of the Supercharger experience.

Tesla stock is down more than 50% from its' peak, Tesla PE ratio is still running at several multiples of most other automakers and Tesla keeps lowering the price of the Model 3 to stay competitive with the competition. If you don't see those as worsening market conditions you're blind.
Sometimes I stop to take a bathroom break without needing to gas up…. Weird right……

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Although we would all like to have both charging ports available on 2025 Fords, I think the odds of that happening is about 0%. The bean counters will make sure that doesn't happen.

Two different ports would be a significant cost per vehicle. No way Ford is going to add redundant charging ports. Instead customers will buy CCS to NACS adaptors just like Tesla owners do today.

Also why install a second inferior connector on your vehicle when you have just switched to a superior design? Maybe this time Betamax will win out over VHS.....

The market is reacting as positively to this new as we are in this thread. F is up 7.5% so far today.
Will they change the Ford Charge Station Pro to NACS or will we use the adapter for V2H as well as charging I wonder?

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
There are standards - and then there are things that just work - and now you see Ford even starting to wake up and realize - the govt standard isn't always the best.
In this case I fault Tesla's timing. They created their charging port first and never offered it to other companies until very recently. If they made the port available from the start, there never would've been a J1772, CHAdeMO, or CCS option for other car companies to choose from when designing their EVs.

Meanwhile, European regulators are notorious for forcing companies to create technology standards, which is why Apple must put USB-C ports on future iPhones, we all have to click cookie consent popups... and Tesla uses the bigger, less efficient CCS on European Teslas.

Now that Ford adopted the Tesla connector, I hope all other companies adopt it and we can move forward.

It makes me wonder what the charging companies like Electrify America, ChargePoint and EVGo will do. Their market will stop growing as fewer vehicles use the old CCS ports, and it's hard for them to match SuperChargers for power capability and reliability.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Will they change the Ford Charge Station Pro to NACS or will we use the adapter for V2H as well as charging I wonder?
Absolutely. I'm sure they'll sell both for a little while, until the demand for the older chargers dries up.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
So is Ford really giving existing owners an adapter or do we have to buy it? I missed that part.

Sponsored

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
So is Ford really giving existing owners an adapter or do we have to buy it? I missed that part.
Not 100% clear at this point. Farley says “everyone gets one” on interviews the notification on FordPass App says “pricing and availability coming soon”
🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: GDN

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Not 100% clear at this point. Farley says “everyone gets one” on interviews the notification on FordPass App says “pricing and availability coming soon”
🤷🏻‍♂️
It's almost like Elon is rubbing off on Jim a little too much.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
It makes me wonder what the charging companies like Electrify America, ChargePoint and EVGo will do. Their market will stop growing as fewer vehicles use the old CCS ports, and it's hard for them to match SuperChargers for power capability and reliability.
The connector type and even chargers are not the big factor for the service providers. The providers can easily change out plugs and chargers. The big factors are real estate and power infrastructure.

So what if there is a Tesla station sitting across the street from a EA station and they both use the same charging plug type? That’s no different than a Racetrack gas station sitting across the street from a QT gas station. And believe me when the EV economy really starts taking off we are going to need all the DCFC stations we can get.

Some of EA locations are already on their third generation of chargers. Changing out a charger can be done in a couple of days but negotiation access to a location and bringing power to a location can take many months. Once a provider has access to a location and has power to it, they can easily install whatever charger types are in demand.

Did you know that the first automobile owners had to buy gasoline at pharmacies? When the pharmacies closed at night and the owners had to go someplace and were out of gas, they were just out of luck. Even crude gas stations as we know them didn’t exist for several decades after the first automobiles hit the road.

EV production has really only been going on a little over a decade. Personally I’m extremely impressed that EVs and EV charging infrastructure have advanced so much in that timeframe. We all want EV charging infrastructure to be better but we need to remember that we are still in the early days of this transportation revolution and who knows which way technology will go in the future.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Speaking from experience from someone that’s on their 5th EV, people buy the EV they need, not the one they want.
I think that you are an outlier. Most people aren't on their 5th EV, and many, many Tesla owners stretched their budget beyond what is responsible to get the EV they wanted rather than the one they needed.

If we were all driving the EV we need, we'd mostly be driving plug-in hybrid Priuses.
Sponsored