• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
As I stated previously, once the Tesla Supercharger to CCS1 adapter is available it will be available to all CCS1 EV owners, not just Ford EV owners. EVedept is already taking pre-orders for NACS-to-CCS1 adapters (that's right, the adapter already has a name). There is also some interesting information on the website and there are pictures of what the adapter will look like.

I also found a NACS extension cord but it's only good for 40 kW. Perhaps they will provide higher rated NACS extension cords in the future to help non-Tesla EV owners charge at superchargers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
As I stated previously, once the Tesla Supercharger to CCS1 adapter is available it will be available to all CCS1 EV owners, not just Ford EV owners
Source?

You may be correct. But, Tesla is going to have to let you and your bring-your-own-adapter into their billing and back-end systems at non-Magic Dock Superchargers.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Electrify America and Freewire Energy respond to the Tesla/Ford announcement. Freewire said that they will start installing NACS plugs starting in 2024 but EA is taking a wait-and-see attitude.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
It's only common sense. The only real impediment to non-Tesla owners using the superchargers is that there wasn't a NACS-to-CCS1 adapter. Once the adapter is available the flood gates will open.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
It's only common sense. The only real impediment to non-Tesla owners using the superchargers is that there wasn't a NACS-to-CCS1 adapter. Once the adapter is available the flood gates will open.
Careful there - Tesla is still in control of which Superchargers it will allow non-Tesla owners to charge there. Yes, you are correct in that it may make sense for Tesla to allow third party adapters (or sell one of its own) but they will still limit which Superchargers they allow non-Tesla to charge at, and Tesla has said nothing yet about this. So, while "it's common sense", there is zero official word about it.

Aminorjourney

First Name
Nikki
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Chevrolet Bolt EV Premiere, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
I make dumb videos about awesome cars.
I should probably caveat this post with the following disclaimer:

This is my personal opinion and not the opinion of Transport Evolved. I’m posting as a Ford owner not the host of TE.

Personally, while I think the news is good for expanding EV accessibility and adoption, I do have some significant concerns over a monopoly being established that will result in the metaphorical tears before bedtime.

Why? Because Tesla has never been a particularly strong team player. Its networks just work because it controls all aspects of the ownership and charging experience. Having other companies use the network will result in more hiccups and headaches. We should be prepared for that, and not expect plain sailing.

I think NACS has some benefits, but I also worry about what the switch in standard will do for owners of older CCS vehicles, and worry they may be left behind like CHADeMO cars have been.

Finally, while the Tesla experience is very easy, I’m worried about the extra cost of charging. I know Tesla charging is more expensive.

So cautiously optimistic, but guarded. I need to see more from both Tesla and Ford before I decide if it’s good or not long term.

That said, I also REALLY do not want to give Elon Musk any more money than I have to given some of his behavior of late, but that’s not for this forum. I miss the old Elon (who was reasonably pleasant).

heelyeah

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Bronco; 22 F150 Lightning; 21 Jeep JT (wife's)
Except that's not true. It's not a matter of just having an adapter and plugging it in. Tesla can and will software limit who/what can access and charge on the network using said adapter.

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I should probably caveat this post with the following disclaimer:

This is my personal opinion and not the opinion of Transport Evolved. I’m posting as a Ford owner not the host of TE.

Personally, while I think the news is good for expanding EV accessibility and adoption, I do have some significant concerns over a monopoly being established that will result in the metaphorical tears before bedtime.

Why? Because Tesla has never been a particularly strong team player. Its networks just work because it controls all aspects of the ownership and charging experience. Having other companies use the network will result in more hiccups and headaches. We should be prepared for that, and not expect plain sailing.

I think NACS has some benefits, but I also worry about what the switch in standard will do for owners of older CCS vehicles, and worry they may be left behind like CHADeMO cars have been.

Finally, while the Tesla experience is very easy, I’m worried about the extra cost of charging. I know Tesla charging is more expensive.

So cautiously optimistic, but guarded. I need to see more from both Tesla and Ford before I decide if it’s good or not long term.

That said, I also REALLY do not want to give Elon Musk any more money than I have to given some of his behavior of late, but that’s not for this forum. I miss the old Elon (who was reasonably pleasant).
This might be the beginning of Tesla opening up and getting back to their original mission... It helps that Elon and Jim respect each other and are friendly competitors... Both see what needs to happen to make the shift to EV's a success..
Having just finished a road trip in my Lightjing where when EA and others worked (183kw max) and where a single CCS was broken but 4 feet away were 8 empty Tesla chargers, I the sooner the better (ended up next nearest charger at 62Kw).
So Tesla will get a cut, Ford will get a cut and the consumer will benefit... All good in my book...

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Except that's not true. It's not a matter of just having an adapter and plugging it in. Tesla can and will software limit who/what can access and charge on the network using said adapter.
I said real impediment. Tesla manipulating software to limit who/what can access and charge on the network using said adapter is an artificial impediment imposed by Tesla. If the adapter is not available, no amount of software re-writing will allow people to NACS-to-CCS1 charge.

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I should point out that, even though many people are complaining about EA chargers, I haven't really had any problems with EA chargers for a long time. The Plug&Charge feature has always worked great for me as long as I was willing to pay the FordPass price and I can get the EA Pass+ price by activating the charger before I connect up.

The biggest problem I have with EA stations is that they are not where I need them to be. There are Superchargers in some CCS1 desert areas that I travel frequently, and I will gladly use them if I can get an adapter even if I have to pay a much higher price than I do at EA stations. Right now, if there were a Supercharger station and an Electrify America station sitting side by side each other and I had a NACS-to-CCS1 adapter I would choose the EA station because I don't perceive Supercharger stations as being any more convenient, I perceive the EA station as costing less and I really don't want to support Tesla if I don't have too.

As the NEVI buildout progresses, the need to use the existing NACS stations will diminish. So many people think that NACS will dominate the industry but there is just as good a chance that NACS won't survive NEVI. At least if I can get a NACS-to-CCS1 adapter I can just watch the big boys slug it out and I'm good with whoever wins.

Last edited:

MacMike

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Link to the video of the InsideEVs podcast:

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Link to the video of the InsideEVs podcast:
I watch the entire podcast related to the Tesla/Ford announcement. I was disappointed they never got around to discussing how NEVI relates to the Tesla/Ford plans. I hope the guys really give some thought to NEVI and give a discussion on how the Tesla/Ford plans might impact NEVI in the next podcast.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
A couple things to keep in mind.
1) Tesla chargers have no user interface or payment device. The station has to be activated. At the moment that can only be done through the Tesla App, and only at Stations with Magic Dock. For a non magic dock adapter to work, the station has to recognize the car plugged in to authorize it. This only happens if there is software on the car side that is designed to interact with Tesla’s Ecosystem.
2) The announcement so far is only for V3 stations, not the whole network. In the areas I travel, over half of the station I would use are V2.
The image on the left is what people are assuming we will gain access to, the image on the right is the sites with at least some V3 stations. For me travels, the difference is huge….
Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! IMG_0485

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
A couple things to keep in mind.
1) Tesla chargers have no user interface or payment device. The station has to be activated. At the moment that can only be done through the Tesla App, and only at Stations with Magic Dock. For a non magic dock adapter to work, the station has to recognize the car plugged in to authorize it. This only happens if there is software on the car side that is designed to interact with Tesla’s Ecosystem.
2) The announcement so far is only for V3 stations, not the whole network. In the areas I travel, over half of the station I would use are V2.
The image on the left is what people are assuming we will gain access to, the image on the right is the sites with at least some V3 stations. For me travels, the difference is huge….
IMG_0485.jpeg
Excellent observation. It’s great to temper expectations as to not be again disappointed with DCFC on those trips not fully understanding what we’re getting however, that’s a still a LOT of pins on that map on the right! And it’s speculative but I assume that once Ford and Tesla have worked the backend software we will rapidly continue to gain access to the new stations seemingly opening up every day! Not really sure what happened with Magic Dock but it seems dead in the water since it was introduced back in February.
Sponsored