• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Tesla superchargers are already opening up to others, whats new?
Tesla committed to opening 3,500 Superchargers by end of 2024 to everyone.

This is 12,000, to Ford EV owners, by early 2024.

Not the same thing.
Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Tesla opened up this standard well before mach-e or lightning were launched, Ford could have used it if they wanted. Theet chose not to. I don't think they are going to change now.
Iā€™m just sharing what was announced between Jim Farley and Elon muskā€¦Iā€™d say if Jim is comfortable taking that plan public it has a good chance of developing

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Ford switching to the Tesla NACS plug is HUGE news and is going to provide a way better charging experience for future Ford EV owners. I like it!
I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I can be convinced though. I have a Tesla, supercharging is better. The connector is better. The speed to communicate and start is just better. But the CCS network is already bigger now. Can we just get both please? How about CCS on one side and NACS on the other? At least until the whole industry locks on one?

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Is this real? So Ford will switch to Telsa ports and ditch CCS? That's a big and bold step if that actually happens. For us ford EV owners with CCS ports we will just use an adapter which I am good with and not have to wait for Telsa to convert all their Superchargers over to magic docks.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yes, it is real.

You won't need an adapter as of early 2024, Tesla charger will have it. Likely Magic Dock.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Is this real? So Ford will switch to Telsa ports and ditch CCS? That's a big and bold step if that actually happens. For us ford EV owners with CCS ports we will just use an adapter which I am good with and not have to wait for Telsa to convert all their Superchargers over to magic docks.
The way I read it, NACS port will be added. CCS doesnā€™t go away. But Iā€™ve been wrong before.

Editā€¦.turns out, I am wrong. Farley on CNBC this morning says all Fords will be able to use any charger by using an adapter. I think CCS on Fords will go away.

Last edited:

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Yes, it is real.

You won't need an adapter as of early 2024, Tesla charger will have it. Likely Magic Dock.
This is different than the magic dock announcement which is less ambitious in scope and probably limited to V3 and V4 Superchargers. The way I'm reading it Ford will have access to a portable adapter that can be used at any V2, V3 or V4 Supercharger.

Edit: the press release specifically calls out the V3 superchargers--unfortunately it looks like the adapter won't work with V2 which is going to be really confusing for people.

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Is Ford going to use dual CCS and NACS sockets, or going to NACS exclusively? The press release is a little vague.

And I hope they offer the adaptor and software upgrade to current owners
Would be neat to have both, although with adapters for either direction the biggest thing here will be the software upgrade to enable use of SC's. I'm very excited about this news.
Sponsored