• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A Oxford White (on order)
I'm waiting for the video where they spell out the cost savings for someone like you. Where the actual cost per mile difference between gas and electric (charged at HOME!) is calculated.
Anybody who bought a Lightning to regularly tow large trailers long distances didn't do their research.
This is what you're looking for. You may have to do some math on your utility rate and local fuel prices

Sponsored

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
I have no doubt it's a great commuter vehicle. I am talking about using it as a TRUCK to tow or haul, as this is the point of this thread. Why do yall keep missing this point?
I think it's semantics. Most agree this is not the vehicle for you if you want to tow more than 100 miles on a regular basis. There are way too many articles trying to "prove" something that everyone should already know... ICE is much better for long distance towing or hauling than an EV truck.

Unfortunately, articles on how it's the perfect single vehicle for those who want to commute daily, haul the boat to the lake 30 miles away on the weekend, and bring home a load of mulch in spring don't get enough clicks, so the journalists sensationalize how bad an EV is at towing.

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think it's semantics. Most agree this is not the vehicle for you if you want to tow more than 100 miles on a regular basis. There are way too many articles trying to "prove" something that everyone should already know... ICE is much better for long distance towing or hauling than an EV truck.

Unfortunately, articles on how it's the perfect single vehicle for those who want to commute daily, haul the boat to the lake 30 miles away on the weekend, and bring home a load of mulch in spring don't get enough clicks, so the journalists sensationalize how bad an EV is at towing.
And to be fair, I'm definitely looking at this from just my point of view too. I live on the lake, so when I tow my boats, I am taking them a good distance as the closest beach is 150 miles. And for the road trips that we regularly take, we would have to stop to charge at least once, which is right out of the question having a 1 year old. We need to minimize total trip time as much as possible.

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
The thing with people is that they always make generalizations.

Lightning will be perfectly fine for my towing needs with a large, heavy camper. I simply don’t drive hundreds miles when I’m camping so the range is of zero significance to me.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Have we seen a range test at max payload?
Yes, out of spec did one and it was about a 5 percent range hit. Pretty much nothing.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
And to be fair, I'm definitely looking at this from just my point of view too. I live on the lake, so when I tow my boats, I am taking them a good distance as the closest beach is 150 miles. And for the road trips that we regularly take, we would have to stop to charge at least once, which is right out of the question having a 1 year old. We need to minimize total trip time as much as possible.
Plenty are close to a water source ... around me I could launch a boat at 10+ different places in a 50 mile radius.

As they get older, kids will have to go pee plenty of times on road trips. Unless you plan on keeping them in diapers forever :) You want to drive for 2-3 hours straight? Nope. Kids got to pee every other hour.

Everyone has different use cases and tolerances. And, the f150L can do about 90% of regular truck use cases, yet there's some guy who thinks the only thing trucks do is tow a large load 200+ miles.

Back in my day, the only thing people used trucks for where to haul hay on a farm. If you wanted to boat, you'd build yourself a boat by the water whenever you wanted to use one.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
We were right on the limit for needing weight distribution bars. We couldn't add them as these are not our trailers. I will say after doing these tow tests on just about every truck for the last 12 years I can say this was far from unsafe. Andre mentioned a slight sway event at the beginning, this was quickly fixed by lowering speeds below 65. From there on out it performed wonderfully with no sway. Thanks for watching all!
Appreciate being corrected - thanks for the great video.

Sponsored

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understand the people who don’t think the Lightning will work for them.

I don’t understand the people who insist the Lightning won’t work for anyone.
Who said that?

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Love My Platinum Power boost. Tow 5 ton of rock and dump trailer, lumber, flagstone, crushed concrete, Kubota, 23' Boat, Two wave runners and lumber, shingles, etc;. Most of the daily total miles never exceed 80-90 miles. I think the ER Lightning Paired with our Solar is going to work for us 95% of the use cases. We'll see as Im keeping my Platinum 21 Hybrid to be sure.

Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning Towing Test vs GMC Denali (not Ike Gauntlet) by TFL Screenshot_2022-06-26-22-28-57-17_f00ec1ee0f85cd6de9c4e48e1fd76ea5

Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning Towing Test vs GMC Denali (not Ike Gauntlet) by TFL Screenshot_2022-06-26-22-28-13-71_f00ec1ee0f85cd6de9c4e48e1fd76ea5

Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning Towing Test vs GMC Denali (not Ike Gauntlet) by TFL Screenshot_2022-05-12-16-42-47-68_ff785028b59b747d09873fc0674450df

Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning Towing Test vs GMC Denali (not Ike Gauntlet) by TFL IMG_20220512_182706

ftms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Titan
This was a great video that showed what i wanted to see, real life towing. My primary reason for having a truck is to tow my bass boat, 5,000 lbs. I don't commute, most of my lakes are 120 miles round trip. I thought the Lightning would work but i am rethinking this as the mileage is not good. Just too close to empty and with the lack of charging around here, not good. Yes, my boat is more aerodynamic than their trailer but i think weight is the more the factor. They were not really cruising fast enough that the box of a trailer would play into effect to the point it would make a big difference.

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
There are just too many generalizations out there. It might be the perfect vehicle (including towing) for you if you are just rubbing your bot to the lake and back and it isn’t that far. It probably isn’t the right vehicle if you expect it to haul another car across the country in a speedy manner. What a lot (not all) of people ignore or don’t mention in these towing related threads is that an ICE truck loses a great deal of range when towing too. It’s just easier and faster to replenish at the moment, but it can’t be ignored.

In my case, the lightning is a great choice. I have to carry around a ton of sports equipment, rakes, canopies, chairs, etc. almost every day…plus at least one and often 3 other people. The lightning is fantastic for this purpose (with bed cover). Sure beats the old Suburban used for the same purpose. I will also use it for general utility around the yard.

For towing my 24’ enclosed car hauler going across country on the interstates at speed I have a 3500 Ram. It will get about 19-20 mpg without the trailer and then 12ish with the unloaded trailer and 10.5ish loaded with a car. That’s a significant range reduction for a trailer that isn’t pushing the capabilities of that truck. As the Out of Spec guys have seen while testing the electric trucks - it’s not weight that kills range but aero.
Sponsored