• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A Oxford White (on order)
I've solved the problem, this is how you extend range while towing:

Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning Towing Test vs GMC Denali (not Ike Gauntlet) by TFL 1656512686219
Sponsored

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
The power consumption required to overcome the air resistance increases by the cube of the speed. The increase in wind resistance of 65 mph vs 55 mph requires 1.65 times as much power. The increase in wind resistance of 75 mph vs 55 mph requires 2.5 times as much power.

The difficult part without any test data is knowing what the overall losses are compared to the wind resistance friction. E.g. overall losses = Rolling resistance + non motive energy use + potential energy changes + wind resistance, etc.

As @Tmack7 noted, the TFL test didn't delve into the details of energy use seen at the different speeds. A valuable test would be to measure energy consumption of the truck with that exact same trailer at controlled speeds. Perhaps we would see 1.0 miles per KWh @55, 0.8 miles per KWh @65 and 0.55 miles per KWh @75 towing that same trailer.

The inevitable conclusion will still be exactly what TFL observed. The Lightning is not a good choice for towing large bulky trailers long distances. If you plan on frequent towing over long distances then there are better truck choices.

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The power consumption required to overcome the air resistance increases by the cube of the speed. The increase in wind resistance of 65 mph vs 55 mph requires 1.65 times as much power. The increase in wind resistance of 75 mph vs 55 mph requires 2.5 times as much power.

The difficult part without any test data is knowing what the overall losses are compared to the wind resistance friction. E.g. overall losses = Rolling resistance + non motive energy use + potential energy changes + wind resistance, etc.

As @Tmack7 noted, the TFL test didn't delve into the details of energy use seen at the different speeds. A valuable test would be to measure energy consumption of the truck with that exact same trailer at controlled speeds. Perhaps we would see 1.0 miles per KWh @55, 0.8 miles per KWh @65 and 0.55 miles per KWh @75 towing that same trailer.

The inevitable conclusion will still be exactly what TFL observed. The Lightning is not a good choice for towing large bulky trailers long distances. If you plan on frequent towing over long distances then there are better truck choices.
Thanks, you said it better than I did.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Well said and correct!

Speed is a big factor in range as well as the aerodynamics of the load being towed.

The Lightning is what @TFLtommy video showed - great for local towing - not for long distance at speed.

If you must tow long distances with heavy load / bulky loads then better to use a PB, diesel or HD/SD truck.

Remember, it's still an F150 (light duty ) truck.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

As noted by others….well said! If anyone else was expecting something different with this 1st gen EV truck, they were fooling themselves.

Being somewhat analytical, I love seeing all of these non-lab tests…and, I don’t find them dramatic (as the video presentations sometime portray). They pretty much confirm what I expected, though, I would have liked to be pleasantly surprised 😎

Last edited:

Sponsored

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
I appreciate that they included the Sierra as a benchmark. I just towed my 88-sq-ft frontal area fifth wheel 110 miles (175 km) and averaged 9.4 MPG (25 L/100km) in approximately similar conditions (55-65 mph). So that’s close to their 8.9 MPG. I’d expect to do about as well as they did with the Lightning on the same route.

Some of the stuff they say though is a bit sensationalized. Maybe I need more friends but I’ve never had a situation where I needed to tow a buddy’s camper. Most people with trailers that need to be towed have their own way of towing them. And in fact I do look at the aerodynamic profile and other factors when choosing a trailer for myself. It’s not like I’m an RV transporter who never knows what he’s towing from day to day.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Some of the stuff they say though is a bit sensationalized.
You think…..just a little! I love the factual and experienced information they provide….I could just use a little less of the seemingly manufactured drama/reactions……

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored
OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Can't charge any EV while its moving.
BMW i3 is technically an EV that charges while moving, but I think you're referring to the J1772 port not being usable while driving.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I have no doubt it's a great commuter vehicle. I am talking about using it as a TRUCK to tow or haul, as this is the point of this thread. Why do yall keep missing this point?
I don't think anyone is missing anything. You can haul a lot of things without a trailer. I don't anticipate having a problem with range when I haul my motorcycle or anything else in the bed, even if my destination is hundreds of miles away.

Your heavy-handed conclusion that "a Electric Truck is a poor choice for anything beyond around town" is just factually wrong.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
BMW i3 is technically an EV that charges while moving, but I think you're referring to the J1772 port not being usable while driving.
The BMW i3 REX is a hybrid, like the Volt. The engine is the range extender.

But yeah, having anything plugged into the CCS/J1772 port will disable the ability for the vehicle to move.

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wasn't sure if you knew that, because you suggested a gas generator to charge while driving (if you do use a generator to charge, it needs to be a pure sine wave inverter generator)
You seem to have missed that it was a joke.
Sponsored