• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F150 Lightning with Extended Range battery pack has 341 miles of calculated EPA range

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
It's right there on the Technical Specifications sheet if you really look at it. The note under the TARGETED MILES/CHARGE box states, "Range and charge time based on manufacturer computer engineering simulations and analytical projection consistent with U.S. EPA combined drive cycle." The TARGETED MILES/CHARGE box shows that the a 150kW charger will add 54 miles to an ER battery pack in 10 minutes and the TARGETED CHARGE TIMES box shows that a 150kW charger will add 65% to the ER battery pack in 41 minutes.

So 54 miles divided by 10 minutes, times 41 minutes gives 221 miles for 65% of the ER battery pack. Dividing 221 miles by .65 gives a 100% battery pack range of 340.6 miles. Using the same methodology the SR battery pack would have an EPA range of 277.5 miles.

I know these numbers are probably a little high because the charge rate will probably drop off a little after 50% SOC and the 54 miles is only based on a 10 minute span at maximum charging speed but the average charge speed shouldn't drop off by much. I know this isn't official but this information does come straight from Ford. I think it might be the best we can expect without pulling numbers out of the air until the official EPA numbers come out.
Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
My understanding is that the charge rates drop significantly. Fun math anyway :)

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Generally EV's have a high charge rate between about 10% and 50%. As it goes past 50 the rate drops and drops until the last 10% is really slow.

It's only practical to DC charge below 80% and even then it's a strain.

However judging what you can get out of a battery is different than what you can put in to it.

The only way I consider it other than my dash saying it is to use miles and how much I put in at night.

Lucid from what I read is maybe one of the most efficient motors. If Ford uses something different that Rivian then maybe one can guess battery pack size and typical miles per KW.

I just watched a video in CA where they had maybe 5 or 6 F150 EV's charging. Some stupid Tesla guy asked a lot of nonsensical questions. Overall the trucks looked good but one shot I couldn't see the miles/kw

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I know these numbers are probably a little high because the charge rate will probably drop off a little after 50% SOC and the 54 miles is only based on a 10 minute span at maximum charging speed but the average charge speed shouldn't drop off by much. I know this isn't official but this information does come straight from Ford. I think it might be the best we can expect without pulling numbers out of the air until the official EPA numbers come out.
I would love this to be true, but you're assuming a flat charging curve. The Mach-E's curve looks like this (pre-software update). The Audi E-tron SUV holds 150 kW to almost 80% so maybe they'll take a page out their book.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I would expect the final EPA numbers to not be that far off or they would have published a different 'targeted' range. If Ford knew they would be over 320 or 350 or whatever then don't you think they would have wanted to publish better numbers. I would guess that the EPA numbers will be 10, maybe 15 miles over at the most. Then, based on mach-e numbers, if imagine you should be able to get the EPA numbers on the freeway and then get 10% or so better in mixed driving. So ya 330-340 probably isn't totally out of the question but I don't know if your assumption about charging times vs total miles is necessarily correct.

It's possible I'm entirely wrong as well.

Sponsored

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Before the Chevy Bolt came out, GM was touting 200 miles of range and it came out at 238 miles. Different company, different marketing but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford is under promising a bit.

Seageo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60, ID.4
I would love this to be true, but you're assuming a flat charging curve. The Mach-E's curve looks like this (pre-software update). The Audi E-tron SUV holds 150 kW to almost 80% so maybe they'll take a page out their book.
So, the F150 probably has a usable 160ish kwh battery and maybe 170kwh total. The etron maintain the flst curve with great cooling and a big buffer. At 160kwh, charging at 150kw is abysma peakl relative to battery size (c rate). I honestly think Ford is referencing charging times on a 150kw charger just to set low expectations. That being said, it should be able to pull nearly 150kw up to 70% without much issue. For example, just mimicking the MME curve, at 70% the MME is at 0.8C, so about 135 to 140 kw for the assumed Lightning battery if they keep the silly charging curve (which I doubt).

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Before the Chevy Bolt came out, GM was touting 200 miles of range and it came out at 238 miles. Different company, different marketing but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford is under promising a bit.
Let's not forget that cold weather, climate controls, and driving styles has a huge impact on range.

Since battery chemistry changes with temperatures, when it gets cold, the capacity is reduced, thus drive miles per charge (range). Those that have cold winters will see it most.

Climate controls (heating & A/C) will impact range by drawing power from the EV batteries. Those that use climate controls will see a drop in range.

Then those that drive like F1 or speed demons will have a negative effect on range.

So people like me that drive like an old person without being in a hurry gently accelerating, feathering the accelerator, using lots of coasting & braking regen, leaving climate controls off, driving under 50MPH using city streets instead of freeways/highways, and gently accelerating from stop will benefit with more miles per charge and be rewarded with 100-125% range per charge.

OTOH my wife who drives like sportscar racer will drive without using regen, blasting the heating/cooling, driving at high speeds, and takes off like it's a 0-60 in 4 seconds - gets dinged with less than 75% range.

Figure that out!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
None of that works to determine the range. Just going to have to wait for the first OutofSpec motoring 70 mph road test to get the real world range.
Yup - real world testing is key. I expect we will get some good towing information from TFL for those who care.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
There is ample examples of EV cars and how they do under different conditions. The problem here is that a truck use can be much more demanding. I suspect a much larger battery.

Last edited:

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Even 150 miles daily is pushing it, especially if you live in an area with a cold winter.

Only way it works is if you have level 2/3 charging at your destination.
Sponsored