• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Factory spray in bed liner -- done in house, or outsourced?

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Who does the spray in bed liner for Ford? Is it done in house, or another company?
Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
It’s done at the ”Mod Shop” that is co located at the Ford assembly plant. I would think that is considered in-house since the spray in bed liner would be listed on the Monroney label as an OEM option rather than an after market accessory that you purchase from the dealer after the fact.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The place is called Ground Effects. It's a couple of miles away from the plant.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
It’s done at the ”Mod Shop” that is co located at the Ford assembly plant. I would think that is considered in-house since the spray in bed liner would be listed on the Monroney label as an OEM option rather than an after market accessory that you purchase from the dealer after the fact.
We don't do the spray in liners on site. Only the drop in.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
We don't do the spray in liners on site. Only the drop in.
I still consider that the Mod Shop because it is done along side the factory even if it is a few miles from the physical plant. This is the same concept for when I order Ford specialty vehicles for police and fire. The extra wiring and lighting up fit is done after the vehicle comes off the assembly line at a mod shop that is co-located (whether next door or a few miles away does not matter) with the plant as opposed to a third party upfitter that is hired by the dealer or the receiving agency. Items that are done at the factory or Mod Shop are covered by the new car warranty if there is a problem down the road. The same cannot always be said of after market.

I have also noticed that there is a small Ford sticker on the back glass for spray bed liners that are installed by Ford’s Mod shop. In this case and based upon what @Pioneer74 said above, it appears that Ground Effects is the upfitter contracted by Ford to install the spray in bed liners.

I did not mean to imply that Ford employees were doing the work.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
The place is called Ground Effects. It's a couple of miles away from the plant.
Yep, I see it on Satellite view. I wonder how many they can do a day, and how long it takes to apply the liner.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Yep, I see it on Satellite view. I wonder how many they can do a day, and how long it takes to apply the liner.
Good questions. I wish I had an answer for you.

Sponsored

tkittlitz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14Ram1500ED, 20FordEscapeHybrid, 22LightningOrder
I totally should have left that option off and got it done locally. Too late now - But good to know for the future (well 10 years from now when I need my next truck)

Capertrj

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Can you remove it as long as the truck hasn’t started production?

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
No reason to change... Really there's unlikely a key difference... You can just an easily find comments that people have had no issues w/ Factory liner... Even in the video referenced:

Ford F-150 Lightning Factory spray in bed liner --  done in house, or outsourced? 1656017281449

Also, probably not the best to rely on the competitor company for a review.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
As stated by others, it would be good to see if there is a comparison from a more impartial choice.

The video is almost 6 years old. Much could have changed in that time. Also, LineX shops are franchises. One may not be as good as another. Based on the video, I'd go to that shop in a heartbeat. But another one may not be as professional, especially with the difficulty in finding competent help these days.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Give me the reason a spray in is the best option.

I was set on a spray in but now just getting a bed mat. What's the purpose of spray in? Yeah it looks good but really not needed. They say it protects the bed, but you scratch it up to install a spray in?
Sponsored