• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Failed 1.7.1 update, eagerly awaiting BlueCruise, whats your plan?

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I bought my truck in September (PB Platinum w/ BC Prep package, job 1 truck built in March 2021). Since then I have only received the 1.4 and 1.6 updates and then failed on the infamous 1.7.1 OTA update several times with the last being early Feb. I'm jealous of the people who did their updates via FDRS, but I'm also a bit intimidated about doing the updates, and put off by the expense since I would have to buy the Mongoose ($500), Battery maintainer ($100+), not sure if my old laptop meets the requirements (but I'm pretty sure I have a good USB thumb drive :))

Since there are quite a few of us in the same situation, I figured I could make a thread just for us. Below is my plan:

Between now and our cross country road trip in June:
  • Patiently wait for Ford to fix. I hope for an OTA fix but with all of the time and effort it is taking everyone to update manually, I'm guessing the fix will be taking it to the dealer.
  • Learn all I can from the FDRS update thread and let the early adopters figure out all of the kinks for me in case I need to update myself
If by May there is no fix in sight, I will probably search eBay and this site looking for people trying to loan/sell their Mongoose and just chalk up the expense to an added vacation expense.

What is everyone else doing?
Sponsored

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Similar boat, also a powerboost, which I wonder if that’s somehow related since most failed 1.7.1 seem to be a powerboost.

My plan is to try the mongoose route, and if I’m feeling saucy I’ll record the process for public consumption via the YouTubes.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I got the original 1.7.1 update and one after this but all has stopped. I upgraded with a Nano a few weeks ago but still not OTA updates. My plan is to wait till the end of the month and if still no updates, get a Mongoose and update myself.

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
Same boat. Watching this thread.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
I bought my truck in September (PB Platinum w/ BC Prep package, job 1 truck built in March 2021). Since then I have only received the 1.4 and 1.6 updates and then failed on the infamous 1.7.1 OTA update several times with the last being early Feb. I'm jealous of the people who did their updates via FDRS, but I'm also a bit intimidated about doing the updates, and put off by the expense since I would have to buy the Mongoose ($500), Battery maintainer ($100+), not sure if my old laptop meets the requirements (but I'm pretty sure I have a good USB thumb drive :))

Since there are quite a few of us in the same situation, I figured I could make a thread just for us. Below is my plan:

Between now and our cross country road trip in June:
  • Patiently wait for Ford to fix. I hope for an OTA fix but with all of the time and effort it is taking everyone to update manually, I'm guessing the fix will be taking it to the dealer.
  • Learn all I can from the FDRS update thread and let the early adopters figure out all of the kinks for me in case I need to update myself
If by May there is no fix in sight, I will probably search eBay and this site looking for people trying to loan/sell their Mongoose and just chalk up the expense to an added vacation expense.

What is everyone else doing?
First, you are in the Dallas area which means you have access to @Jesse-Infotainment @iceman77 who are probably the top two experts when it comes to FDRS and all these damn updates. Money, beer, or food will probably get their help.

As for reading the FDRS thread definitely do that, but most importantly read the first post by Ice & the doc prepared by @Bob_Mac. Get yourself the recommended battery tender and the Mongoose adapter (NOT THE NANO) and you can get it updated. FWIW I waited almost a month for my USB update to kick and get me past 1.7.1. Once I got over that hump I was pretty good until I got stuck in the restart loop which was caused by a bad battery and low voltage. I'm now running Blue Cruise and have all the nice updates to Sync as well.

Sponsored

Bob_Mac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Cyber Security | Developer
First, you are in the Dallas area which means you have access to @Jesse-Infotainment @iceman77 who are probably the top two experts when it comes to FDRS and all these damn updates. Money, beer, or food will probably get their help.

As for reading the FDRS thread definitely do that, but most importantly read the first post by Ice & the doc prepared by @Bob_Mac. Get yourself the recommended battery tender and the Mongoose adapter (NOT THE NANO) and you can get it updated. FWIW I waited almost a month for my USB update to kick and get me past 1.7.1. Once I got over that hump I was pretty good until I got stuck in the restart loop which was caused by a bad battery and low voltage. I'm now running Blue Cruise and have all the nice updates to Sync as well.
I'm actually updating the doc and it will be available tomorrow.

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
My Job 1 Lariat 2.7 ecoboost is also stuck. I want the update but am too cheap to pay for a mongoose. I will wait until Ford fixes it, and in the mean time my ankle weight jammed in the hole on the lower right side of the steering wheel does hands free driving just fine without ever dinging at me and on any road

sailorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4
A few things to consider, coming from someone that is almost finished updating.
1. Unless you have a dealer that is extraordinarily helpful, there is little chance they are going to do these updates. The one available now that requires a USB to get past 1.7.1 takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 days for the truck to even read the USB. Do you want the dealer holding on to your vehicle for some unknown amount of time for that?
2. The updates to get current take a good 10+ hours of babysitting to load into the truck. One Instrument Panel Module update alone takes 5 hours to update near the end of the whole process. A dealer will probably tell you "if it ain't broke, we ain't fixing it under warranty". So I cant see them doing this for you. You would just have to wait for the OTA's to push to you, whenever that may be.
3. If you buy the Mongoose from Amazon, just return it when you are finished. Seriously. I think the ones people have been receiving now have been open boxes and have already been registered by someone else, because they are all returns.
4. The $50 for 2 days of FDRS sucks. No way around that. Particularly on the first update that can take 30 days. You are basically spending $50 for a small set of updates at first. When those finish and the USB update gets picked up by the truck, you'll have to spend another $50 to get through all the rest of the updates.
5. The original guide was easy to follow. I'm sure the updated one will be too. Those guys are doing a fantastic job. But you do have to put in the time to read through that thread and get familiar with it. A lot of the weird stuff was because of the VXDiag Nano used by the early adopters. Lots of that weird behavior goes away with the Mongoose Plus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ_Tex

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I’m sure you are totally right on #1 & #2. The only way I see the dealer solution working would be some sort of bare minimum update to get OTAs working again.
#3, the Amazon rental is tempting, but I don’t need any bad Karma if I’m going to tackle updates myself.

sailorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4
If your just looking to push through the initial broken OTA's part, a VX nano will get you that far for $100. But you would need to stop there.

Sponsored

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
I am optimistic that Ford will get this situation fixed sooner or later. I just hope it happens before my warranty expires....lol.
Sponsored