• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FCSP Installation/Mounting Recommendations - Surface Mount

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Now that my FCSP is enroute to me, and after reading about the heat-developed and related shutdown cycling issues, I am evaluating the mounting configuration of my FSCP especially in-light of Ford planning to increase the safety shutdown limits by ~10 deg. F to address the cycling issue.

I need to surface mount on the garage interior of an exterior wall. Should I consider having my electrician use a FR backer-board or other wainscoting? Any other suggest from this learned group would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
Below is my temp installation. Plan to install the FCSP where I have the paper template taped to my board.

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP Installation/Mounting Recommendations - Surface Mount PXL_20220716_203655477

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I used rear-entry for the wiring, so I surface mounted a shallow-depth4x4 square box to the right of center and routed my conduit in, then I mounted a 2x4 to the wall on its left to provide the appropriate stand-off so that the wires could enter the cable gland. I lagged the backing plate to that 2x4.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I used rear-entry for the wiring, so I surface mounted a shallow-depth4x4 square box to the right of center and routed my conduit in, then I mounted a 2x4 to the wall on its left to provide the appropriate stand-off so that the wires could enter the cable gland. I lagged the backing plate to that 2x4.
Are you having temp issues? Did you use #3 copper?

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you having temp issues? Did you use #3 copper?
Yes on both counts. If I remove cover and blow a fan on the board it charges fine. The issue appears to be convective heating from the bottom contactor that heats the terminals from the upper contactor and causes it to reach 165 degF.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Yes on both counts. If I remove cover and blow a fan on the board it charges fine. The issue appears to be convective heating from the bottom contactor that heats the terminals from the upper contactor and causes it to reach 165 degF.
Can we assume the air space behind the unit from offset mounting did NOT help?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Can you think of another orientation for the charger that might mitigate the issue?

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Can you think of another orientation for the charger that might mitigate the issue?
Sounds like if the heat is rising from one terminal to the other, if we rotate the charger 90 degrees either way, both terminals will be in line horizontally. Granted, this will probably look stupid.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can we assume the air space behind the unit from offset mounting did NOT help?
Correct. Unit is sealed well and blowing a fan on the closed unit doesnt seem to stop charging problems.

The contactors and their terminals are such that you'd have to mount it at a very odd angle so that the they did not cross each other in a vertical plane.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds like if the heat is rising from one terminal to the other, if we rotate the charger 90 degrees either way, both terminals will be in line horizontally. Granted, this will probably look stupid.
They're offset, so it's going to be CCW, 60 degrees or so if I remember right... it would look awfully goofy.

Ford says another 10 degrees margin seems to let it work ok, so we should see how well that works out.
Sponsored