• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FCSP - Mounted Indoors with Cord Under Garage Door

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
For those who have mounted their FCSP indoors and ran the cable under the garage door to the truck in the driveway, how's it working out? Please share your experience and photos of your installation.

Debating about installing outdoors or indoors like this.
Sponsored

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
For those who have mounted their FCSP indoors and ran the cable under the garage door to the truck in the driveway, how's it working out? Please share your experience and photos of your installation.

Debating about installing outdoors or indoors like this.
I have an old Voltec charger that is in the garage that I use until the Ford charger is installed and I run it under the door when I need to charge. No problem and plan to do the same with the Ford charger.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Any chance one can make a through wall opening for the cable instead of running under door? Like a plastic dryer vent.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Any chance one can make a through wall opening for the cable instead of running under door? Like a plastic dryer vent.
I have to bore through a 12" ICF wall to install it, but your post got me wondering about doing this just for the cable. From the manual it looks like you can pull the cable off to do this. However, with all the issues I would not want to void the warranty, and don't know if there is a holster for the CCS handle (although I think someone posted a link to one).

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
In most cases you can do that, but then the cable has to be permanently outside, available for anyone to use when you're not home.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
We've been interchangeably parking our Teslas inside or outside for many years, with a Tesla wall charger mounted just inside the garage door. Garage door seals have plenty of cushion to seal around a fairly large charging cord, so we've never had any issue charghing in the driveway with the cord under the door. I wouldn't try to separately provision a way to get the cable through the wall - simple is easy and works fine.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
In most cases you can do that, but then the cable has to be permanently outside, available for anyone to use when you're not home.
I’m prettier you can disable it in the app when you leave home. No different than the numerous outdoor EVSE installations.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
No problems, I make sure my door doesn't go too far to crush the cable. My 1990s-era garage doors don't have the nice crushy seals that the new ones get.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I’m prettier you can disable it in the app when you leave home. No different than the numerous outdoor EVSE installations.
Don't know about other charger, but my ChargePoint does not have that capability. And if it did, it just would be more work.

hihosilver

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat - SR - Oxford White - MaxTow
I'm interested in solutions as I will be doing this when my truck arrives. I tried a board but the garage door does not close and seal completely at the top. Maybe a little piece of pvc to prevent cable crush and possible heat issues. Maybe an exhaust port like this?
Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP - Mounted Indoors with Cord Under Garage Door 1660656476071

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Don't know about other charger, but my ChargePoint does not have that capability. And if it did, it just would be more work.
The Ford Connected Charge Station does. We may have found the only thing it does better. 😂

But seriously, some people don’t even have a garage. I’d think they would want to secure their EVSE when away.

Tyler Durden

First Name
Cornelius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm keeping my Model S and I have a gen 2 Tesla HPWC in my garage, and will use that to charge both vehicles--using a TeslaTap for the F150L. F150L won't fit in my garage and my garage door won't close on the HPWC cable.

I already punched a hole through the side of my garage (stucco) with a hole saw and cordless drill (on the hammer setting and I knowlingly destroyed the hole saw, I couldn't find a masonry-specific version). I seated an RV cable pass-through in the hole, and set it with stucco RTV sealant.

I'll try to remember to report back here with pics in the nex day or two (I'm at work). Here's the pass-through I set in the hole....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFGMY6N?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
I plan to have it on the inside of my garage attached in the center column between garage doors. Then I want to hang it with bungie cables that allow it to unhook easy and pull outside to charge in the driveway.

Not sure if I got enough length to do it the way I want though.

Tyler Durden

First Name
Cornelius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm keeping my Model S and I have a gen 2 Tesla HPWC in my garage, and will use that to charge both vehicles--using a TeslaTap for the F150L. F150L won't fit in my garage and my garage door won't close on the HPWC cable.

I already punched a hole through the side of my garage (stucco) with a hole saw and cordless drill (on the hammer setting and I knowlingly destroyed the hole saw, I couldn't find a masonry-specific version). I seated an RV cable pass-through in the hole, and set it with stucco RTV sealant.

I'll try to remember to report back here with pics in the nex day or two (I'm at work). Here's the pass-through I set in the hole....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFGMY6N?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Adding some pics. First, the hole through the stucco. Like I said, I knowingly destroyed a (non-masonry) hole saw to do this. I still had to file the hole a bit afterwards. Next two pics are of the closed & open pass-through. Last is from the inside of my unfinished garage. Also, for the RV part listed in my previous post, I had to shave (I used a dremel) the plastic cable grips so that the Tesla HPWC could fit through.

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP - Mounted Indoors with Cord Under Garage Door cable_hole_garage

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP - Mounted Indoors with Cord Under Garage Door cable_finished_garage_outside_closed

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP - Mounted Indoors with Cord Under Garage Door cable_finished_garage_outside_open

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP - Mounted Indoors with Cord Under Garage Door cable_finished_garage_inside

chrislittle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning Pro
I think @Tyler Durden has the approach I'd take. install a cable hatch. that allows your FCSP to be indoors but use the cable externally. Example below (not my install personally).

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP - Mounted Indoors with Cord Under Garage Door 1660762740572
Sponsored