• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Financing vs Leasing the Lightning

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So this truck, like any other family truck these days, will over north of 70K and I usually always lease regardless. That being said, what options will there be for leasing the Lightning vs buying?
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
So this truck, like any other family truck these days, will over north of 70K and I usually always lease regardless. That being said, what options will there be for leasing the Lightning vs buying?
If you lease, you aren't eligible for current tax credit. That said, there is Ford Options. Basically, 3 or 4 year plan with a balloon payment at the end, but it gives you the ability to just turn it in to Ford. So lease-like.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
You will probably want to take advantage of the Ford Options program. It is a purchase with a balloon payment (take a loan out for) at the end that allows you to capture all tax advantages. You also have the option to turn the vehicle back in instead of making the balloon payment, making it lease-like in knowing you can turn it back in at a known cost of ownership. Below is an example based on MME:

Ford F-150 Lightning Financing vs Leasing the Lightning 1641319774373

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I am planning on Ford Options but I think for me at least it will depend on what they offer. I could opt for it, wait for all rebates to come in, put it down towards the Lightning and then refinance with DCU for 1.24% at 72 months.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So the issue comes into play is the unknown ALG residual value of the truck. With the Ford Options, it sounds like they still might use it still. So lets say you have a ALG of 50%... with a say 80K truck, at the end of 36 months it will be 50% of its value or 40K. So you are financing that 40K over 36 months with at 0% APR would be $1,111+ per month. This is assuming $0 down too.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I am planning on Ford Options but I think for me at least it will depend on what they offer. I could opt for it, wait for all rebates to come in, put it down towards the Lightning and then refinance with DCU for 1.24% at 72 months.
Same here - looking at Ford Options for the best of both lease & financing worlds.

If the MF (lease interest rate) is too high, I will look at financing thru my CU (currently at 1.5% for new cars).

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Same here - looking at Ford Options for the best of both lease & financing worlds.

If the MF (lease interest rate) is too high, I will look at financing thru my CU (currently at 1.5% for new cars).
So I was told that there are two ways to "lease" this vehicle. One is though Ford RCL, and Ford Options is like a lease but you get the inventive (if one exists by the time we get the truck) and has a balloon payment.

From what I was told, assuming the financing is the same as the Mach-E, the RCL will have a high MF, but a nicer ALG. While Ford Options, will have a bad ALG, but a good interest rate.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So I was told that there are two ways to "lease" this vehicle. One is though Ford RCL, and Ford Options is like a lease but you get the inventive (if one exists by the time we get the truck) and has a balloon payment.

From what I was told, assuming the financing is the same as the Mach-E, the RCL will have a high MF, but a nicer ALG. While Ford Options, will have a bad ALG, but a good interest rate.
The RCL also loses you the tax credit (Ford hasn't been taking it off the top on the Mach-e from what I have seen - unlike other brands).

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
Has Ford announced the Ford Options Financing Program will be available on the Lightning? I've seen that it is only an option on the Mustang Mach E.

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
Has Ford announced the Ford Options Financing Program will be available on the Lightning? I've seen that it is only an option on the Mustang Mach E.
Ignore this - I see the Options is now available on the Lightning and the MMe.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The lease companies were racking up the original $7500 credits and in some cases not really showing it as part of the actual costs.

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Model Y and Lightning on order
What is the difference between leasing and ford options? Doesn’t make any sense to me. Sounds like a way ford will get more money out of you vs a traditional lease?

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
What is the difference between leasing and ford options? Doesn’t make any sense to me. Sounds like a way ford will get more money out of you vs a traditional lease?
One big thing is Ford Options let’s you apply for the tax rebates as it goes into your name etc where leasing Ford keeps those incentives.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER