• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
The most efficient mode is the one with the least regen when not pushing the accelerator. One-pedal is the least efficient mode.
Thanks for the clarification. However 1PD is definitely the most fun in my Mach E!
Sponsored

Last edited:

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not really.. whether you press the brake pedal or simply lay off the accelerator the result is the same. The truck will use as much regen as it can until it cannot any longer, at which point friction brakes kick in. Maximum possible regen will happen either way.
Hard braking can cause unnecessary use of friction braking. That issue doesn’t come up when you use 1PD.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Hard braking can cause unnecessary use of friction braking. That issue doesn’t come up when you use 1PD.
If you need friction brakes to stop quickly 1PD isn't going to be used anyway--you'll press the brake pedal...so its a wash either way

GABAR67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
What’s up with EV range testers always driving at 70-80 MPH and then reporting the results.

Wouldn’t driving at 55-60 MPH give better results?

No need for any replies saying how fast people are driving on the interstate and the silly comments that usually follow.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt

No need for any replies saying how fast people are driving on the interstate and the silly comments that usually follow.
Wouldn’t 45 mph (min. legal speed on most interstates) give even better results? It soon becomes an absurdity.

The silly comment is one that unrealistically presumes it is prudent, reasonable, or safe to drive 10-15 mph under the 70 mph speed limit on many interstate highways. Keep it real.

Sponsored

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
What’s up with EV range testers always driving at 70-80 MPH and then reporting the results.

I think this also depends on where you are at. In the greater Boston area, highways are either 55 or 65; regardless the typical flow is 70MPH. I am unsure about the rest of the country, but I believe 65mph is the standard highway speed in most places, so 70 MPH seems pretty reasonable.

I do know some tests, like Edmunds, has a more conservative test with slower speeds.

The reality of EV range is that it is not nearly as neat as gas MPG. Impacts from the environment and speed have a much greater impact on EVs so I think it best to come up with a method that works best for you.

That is a big change that is not communicated well to new EV owners. My father is on his 2nd EV and still calls me when he has a range question asking how far be can make it. My answer is always "I have no idea, what are the numbers" and we work it out.

I know in my on Model 3 P my battery has degraded to the point I have about 66 kWh available. My lifetime high average is 330 wH/mi, meaning I get about 200 mile range fully charged in worst case. So in the worst case (cold and high speeds) 2 miles per % of charge is my rule. If I am getting 275 wH/mi I know I get about 2.4 mi/%. Thus I will never plan a trip more than 2 miles/% of charge and if I get good efficiency, those are bonus miles to maybe get me to the next charger.

Pardon didn't mean to go into a rant, but tl;dr - you need to know the math to have a worse case number and do some math on the fly if you want to maximize range and reduce range anxiety. Knowing the extreme (like these higher speed tests) help you know those numbers.

OP
OP
Beaux

Beaux

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Platinum, 2021 F150 Limited

I drove it as I normally would under the circumstances and thought others would like to know how the truck preformed.

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

When they use a constant 70 mph half the comments on the Forum ask why they're going so slow.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
When they use a constant 70 mph half the comments on the Forum ask why they're going so slow.
My apologies for the following rant……

(I am no expert, just a pragmatic reader)

What I’m (not) liking are some of the recent video reviewers that add a lot of their anecdotal comments complaining about how they’re not getting 300-320 miles of range when driving 70-75 mph...sorta like doing their own trolling out of one side of their face while saying how great the truck is out the other. This is followed by viewer comments chiming in agreeing with the mileage complaints…

What we’re they all, especially the testers, expecting? The EPA highway e-power-use rate is 63 MPGe using an indoor lab test, the highway portion which is nowhere near 70 mph, just roughly 1/2 of the High Speed Supplemental test

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
Ford F-150 Lightning First quick trip in my Lightning Platinum got a lot of attention 327083DD-791E-4184-8C58-F0C114D396F6
Ford F-150 Lightning First quick trip in my Lightning Platinum got a lot of attention EC7D9DD0-F07F-4C18-A5E9-AD341A8D102E

EPA Estimated Highway MPGe - 63: 63 mi/33.7kWh = 1.8694362018 mi/kWh

Most of what I’ve been seeing from real world driver experiences shared on this forum are “burn” rates between 1.6-1.9 mi/kWh, so the EPA test estimate is fairly close.

My issue is the blogger’s driving 70-75 mph (or greater) test cycles, while they’re complaining it doesn’t meet their ”range expectations“ of 300-320 miles (I.e., EPA est.)...They are driving like people are driving (which is ok), not as the EPA tests!

I welcome the “real world” data the testers and bloggers are generating and sharing…it is helping to ground us on what to realistically expect from the use of our vehicles.

What I’m growing weary of are the complaints that we’re not seeing/hitting the EPA estimates during sustained 70-75 mph drives…it is a false expectation, unless we choose to “drive” the same cycle as the EPA Dyno test, which many do not…

It is a free country, and it is about choice on the manner you wish to drive, provided you don’t kill or injure someone else (or damage their property) in the process🤔. It’s ok to wish Ford‘s design would provide more, but they didn lie or misrepresent the mileage. However, in being disappointed (if you are), we should keep our expectations about the mileage/range of this truck realistic……
Sponsored

Last edited: