• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
We took delivery of our Lariat ER on Thursday and took a 210 mile day trip to the local San Diego mountains on Sunday. Here are some of the facts:

1. ER version with Max Tow
2. Standard 20" tires, pressure 45 lbs. (as received from the dealer)
3. Bak 2 tonneau cover (bought through Ford and dealer installed)
4. Yakima hitch mount bike rack with two mountain bikes
5. Temperature ranged from 70-94 degrees
6. Light to no wind
6. Started and ended at 440 feet above sea level and maxed out at 5,700 feet
7. Approximately 135 miles on the interstate at 65MPH and the balance on two lane highways at speeds 30-55

At the start the vehicle showed 97% and 294 miles of projected range. The trip planner estimated 80 miles of range at the finish (28%). At the conclusion of the trip, which was a blast, we had 30% of the battery left and an estimated range of 90 miles. That works out to 2.38 mi/kw (if my math is correct😬).

I was very pleased with the actual range given the elevation changes and the overall performance of the truck on the mountain roads. Very easy and relaxing to drive.

The only real downside was the Ford Nav and Trip planner. What a shit show! As previously advised on the Forum I had both ABRP and Google Maps running as a backup and highly recommend doing as well.

A couple of examples. About halfway through the trip the Ford Nav said that we still had 127 miles to go when in fact it was only 104. Also, it had us turning off on every dirt road that we came upon. It was very annoying and we finally just switched over to Apple Car Play. Another annoyance was that the trip that we had "planned" on the FordPass App and uploaded to the truck had to be re-started through the touch screen every time we stopped and turned off the truck. A real pain.

Hopefully these, and other issues/shortcomings of the app and touch screen can and will be addressed by Ford through over the air updates.
Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Excellent information! Thank you for sharing. Any pictures?

Simpso57

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Nice summary.

I have driven an EV for a few years now (not a tesla), so I know how unreliable relying on a "one size fits all" app is for charging. Best to use multiple apps and just assume you will run into issues with chargers and plan accordingly.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Very nice! Same build and color without Max Tow, with ETA of today through the eighth. Can’t wait!

Sponsored

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
FWIW, my 2021 F150 also had the same NAV problems in that it would keep trying to make turn me onto weird or illogical roads. I always used CarPlay instead.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
The manual doesn't go into much detail on the navigation settings, but there are several options to tailor your desired route. I have it set to avoid tolls and to use the fastest route. There are other options to avoid unpaved roads and to use the most eco-friendly route.

Tap the little tools icon in the bottom left of the navigation screen and then tap "settings" to explore all the options.

OP
OP
LSP

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The manual doesn't go into much detail on the navigation settings, but there are several options to tailor your desired route. I have it set to avoid tolls and to use the fastest route. There are other options to avoid unpaved roads and to use the most eco-friendly route.

Tap the little tools icon in the bottom left of the navigation screen and then tap "settings" to explore all the options.
Good tips. Thanks!

OP
OP
LSP

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I should also add that I had 1PD on the whole time. It seems from other more experienced drivers that having it off on the freeway may have even raised my average mi/kWh a bit more.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
I should also add that I had 1PD on the whole time. It seems from other more experienced drivers that having it off on the freeway may have even raised my average mi/kWh a bit more.
I've always wondered whether coasting on highways was more efficient than regeneration. I can see how it could be. I plan on turning off 1PD from my upcoming road-trip that's nearly 1000 highway miles.

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
We took delivery of our Lariat ER on Thursday and took a 210 mile day trip to the local San Diego mountains on Sunday. Here are some of the facts:

1. ER version with Max Tow
2. Standard 20" tires, pressure 45 lbs. (as received from the dealer)
3. Bak 2 tonneau cover (bought through Ford and dealer installed)
4. Yakima hitch mount bike rack with two mountain bikes
5. Temperature ranged from 70-94 degrees
6. Light to no wind
6. Started and ended at 440 feet above sea level and maxed out at 5,700 feet
7. Approximately 135 miles on the interstate at 65MPH and the balance on two lane highways at speeds 30-55

At the start the vehicle showed 97% and 294 miles of projected range. The trip planner estimated 80 miles of range at the finish (28%). At the conclusion of the trip, which was a blast, we had 30% of the battery left and an estimated range of 90 miles. That works out to 2.38 mi/kw (if my math is correct😬).

I was very pleased with the actual range given the elevation changes and the overall performance of the truck on the mountain roads. Very easy and relaxing to drive.

The only real downside was the Ford Nav and Trip planner. What a shit show! As previously advised on the Forum I had both ABRP and Google Maps running as a backup and highly recommend doing as well.

A couple of examples. About halfway through the trip the Ford Nav said that we still had 127 miles to go when in fact it was only 104. Also, it had us turning off on every dirt road that we came upon. It was very annoying and we finally just switched over to Apple Car Play. Another annoyance was that the trip that we had "planned" on the FordPass App and uploaded to the truck had to be re-started through the touch screen every time we stopped and turned off the truck. A real pain.

Hopefully these, and other issues/shortcomings of the app and touch screen can and will be addressed by Ford through over the air updates.
I gave up on the Ford Nav app the day I got the truck. I'm sticking with Waze. Yes, it does not compare the miles remaining (for the trip) to the miles remaining (of the battery.) But I can do that in my head; first and foremost, a Nav app needs to be able to handl Naviation!!

Reactions: LSP
OP
OP
LSP

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've always wondered whether coasting on highways was more efficient than regeneration. I can see how it could be. I plan on turning off 1PD from my upcoming road-trip that's nearly 1000 highway miles.
I just learned that when the cruise control is activated the one pedal driving is deactivated so it may be a relatively moot point.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I gave up on the Ford Nav app the day I got the truck. I'm sticking with Waze. Yes, it does not compare the miles remaining (for the trip) to the miles remaining (of the battery.) But I can do that in my head; first and foremost, a Nav app needs to be able to handl Naviation!!
I actually think the navigation is pretty good. It is excellent at identifying which lane to be in, it accounts for traffic, and the time estimate is relatively good. You can also use voice commands to input a destination relatively reliably. I don't think it takes into account the speed or elevation changes on the route, however. At least it didn't appear to do that on my first long highway trip.

I just learned that when the cruise control is activated the one pedal driving is deactivated so it may be a relatively moot point.
Cruise control is zero pedal driving! :D

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Y’all be Wildin actually using in built Navigation, the only serviceable one is Tesla’s and that fucks up sometimes as well. CarPlay/Android Auto is the best thing for navigation and Waze is a godsend. You can pre plan your trip via ABRP and send it directly to Waze.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Y’all be Wildin actually using in built Navigation, the only serviceable one is Tesla’s and that fucks up sometimes as well. CarPlay/Android Auto is the best thing for navigation and Waze is a godsend. You can pre plan your trip via ABRP and send it directly to Waze.
@monsterlag I agree on the benefits of CarPlay and of Waze. Thanks for the eduction on ABRP. I've just down-loaded it and will give it a try!
Sponsored