• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First roadtrip, want some advice on preparation.

bucknut05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening Lariat
Hi all, been reading through all the threads as I prepare for a upcoming trip to Canaan Valley resort center. It’s about 180 mile drive, half interstate half back roads through the mountains. The resort has 4 charging stations, 3 Tesla Destinations and one J-1772. My questions:
1. With the Lariat ER, I assume I shouldn’t be worried about the range getting there assuming I’ll start the trip with 280 miles
2. With only 1 j-1772 at the resort and another one just up the road, should I buy a Tesla adapter just in case? If yes, which one have folks bought? Saw some other adapters on Amazon but not all are rated 80a.

thanks!!
Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
It's going to be difficult to give you some solid advice without knowing more about
half back roads through the mountains.
That would be my primary concern with this trip.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Hi all, been reading through all the threads as I prepare for a upcoming trip to Canaan Valley resort center. It’s about 180 mile drive, half interstate half back roads through the mountains. The resort has 4 charging stations, 3 Tesla Destinations and one J-1772. My questions:
1. With the Lariat ER, I assume I shouldn’t be worried about the range getting there assuming I’ll start the trip with 280 miles
2. With only 1 j-1772 at the resort and another one just up the road, should I buy a Tesla adapter just in case? If yes, which one have folks bought? Saw some other adapters on Amazon but not all are rated 80a.

thanks!!

Where are you starting? I am fairly familiar with the area. Is there a DCFC along the way you can just get a few KW of safety before you head off the highway into the mtns?

Is there a DCFC somewhere on the way home to stop for a top off if the resorts level2 stations are FUBAR?

OP
OP

bucknut05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening Lariat
Driving about 106 miles on the interstate going 70-75mph then once I get off interstate 68 there’s about 70 miles of driving left on two lane roads ( stoping at alpine lakes then on to Canaan).

OP
OP

bucknut05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening Lariat
Where are you starting? I am fairly familiar with the area. Is there a DCFC along the way you can just get a few KW of safety before you head off the highway into the mtns?

Is there a DCFC somewhere on the way home to stop for a top off if the resorts level2 stations are FUBAR?
starting Pittsburgh if that helps. So down 79 to 68

Sponsored

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
Don’t have my Lightning yet, but I’ve never had any issues with using ABRP and elevation loss materially exceeding those estimates. If you’re going uphill, one-way, for a significant stretch then maybe there could be an issue? I hope the ER can handle that with the 100-mile buffer you indicated.

We do have a TeslaTap 80-amp adapter. It’s been great on the ID.4, but we’ve never needed it. I treat it like insurance. The larger one I linked is cheaper than the mini and we’ve seen zero fitment issues.

OP
OP

bucknut05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening Lariat
I thought you were coming from the other way..oops
Friendsville would only add 8 miles or so to the trip so that's actually a great spot to charge up to make sure but agree with Sam that 100 miles buffer should be enough ( I would hope...)

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Friendsville would only add 8 miles or so to the trip so that's actually a great spot to charge up to make sure but agree with Sam that 100 miles buffer should be enough ( I would hope...)
You could always keep it as an option in case things go awry. I do think you'll be fine without it.

Sponsored

newF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Just an opinion but I think you'll be fine without stopping if you start out at 100%. I currently have a Mach-E GT which on paper is 270. In winter I've driven round trip 90 miles one way and 90 miles back starting with the GOM at 220 at 100% charge. Didn't bother to charge at my destination. Usually end up with the GOM at about 50-60 miles left and this would be mostly highway driving at a little over 70mph with heat set to about 69. Not apples to apples but hopefully Ford was also a bit conservative with the EPA estimate on the Lightning as well.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Did you check the power of the Tesla L2s at your destination? You likely won’t need an 80A rated adapter.

OP
OP

bucknut05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening Lariat
Did you check the power of the Tesla L2s at your destination? You likely won’t need an 80A rated adapter.
Looks like 40a based on a few reviews on Plugshare but thinking I should just get the 80a TeslaTap for future trips unless their is a different recomendation.

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
Looks like 40a based on a few reviews on Plugshare but thinking I should just get the 80a TeslaTap for future trips unless their is a different recomendation.
Agree with this. There were warnings in our TeslaTap box not to use a lower rated adapter than your EV can draw. I no longer have the sheet, but that’s why I went with the 80a—we knew we were going to get a Lightning. I’ve seen others on VWIDTalk also get the 80a even though the ID.4 can’t draw that, but not sure of their motivations in doing so.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Tesla L2 charger max is 48A, you just need a 40A or even 30A Tesla -> J1772 adapter if so.
Sponsored