• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Gotta think they will add longer cables too, at least eventually.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I've read what seems like hundreds of posts about how the cable from Tesla chargers won't work. I do know that we back in with Tesla in almost all of their installations, but if Tesla will retrofit the chargers on the right end of the installs I'm about 99% certain that pulling head in with the truck will almost be a perfect fit. I do know that it would throw things off because pulling in I would use a cable that the car in the next stall over would use if they were backed in.

I think this is nothing more than a little about logistics. Tesla will make it work.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I'm assuming only V3 superchargers will get the magic dock. Unfortunately most of the locations I'm most anticipating are V2's.
Our trucks can't take true advantage of v3 speeds anyway. As long as it isn't a v1 station (shared power) or an Urban station (75kw) then v2's are the perfect setup.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
So I’ve been reading other forums and have a feeling that we may get some retaliation from angry Tesla owners about having some of the chargers converted with the magic dock and taking up those chargers first regardless of other available Tesla only chargers at a location.
will we be getting “Dock Blocked” soon?

• Haha
Reactions: GDN

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
So I’ve been reading other forums and have a feeling that we may get some retaliation from angry Tesla owners about having some of the chargers converted with the magic dock and taking up those chargers first regardless of other available Tesla only chargers at a location.
And then they will receive retaliation when they show up at any charger that’s non Tesla…..

It’s pretty funny though, I remember not so long ago Tesla owners rejoicing over Musk forcing Legacy automakers to convert to EV and how everything was going to be great…… and now? Lol

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
The good thing about that particular location is that in a Lightning you can always pull up in the grass parallel to the chargers on the back side to plug in. Pretty sure that would piss off the Tesla kool aid types, but if you need a charge in a pinch I guess you could figure it out.
Anyone who tows with their Tesla, or even hauls bikes on the rear, knows you have to get creative at most supercharger locations. If a Lightning owner has to pull up on the grass or a median beside a charger to access it, I doubt most Tesla people are going to care. As long as the truck is charging and not blocking any of the other chargers/spaces, it's all good. Long-time Tesla owners know as well as any of us that all this charging stuff is going to take years to get sorted out and optimized for best use cases. ....But yeah, I'm sure there will be a Karen or two out there with something to say. Starting with the ones trying to tell others "hey, you can't charge here! you're not a Tesla!"

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Some Tesla owners who frequent very busy charger locations are stressing over this. And that does make sense, but I don't think they have much to worry about. Tesla is trying to make huge increases in the number of chargers over the next couple years and I think most of the Magic Dock locations will be new chargers. Opening up any of the already over-crowded supercharger locations is a concern that Tesla has already acknowledged.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Tesla is adding chargers at a pace unseen before. North Texas area has exploded. Added 7 or 8 new locations. Added large numbers to almost every Buccee's (rednecks dream store).

I think the key is noted - as long as non-Tesla owners just act normal and don't try blocking stations or being stupid then there won't be a major issue. I will say it will still be nice to have a Tesla in the garage and have a key card in my pocket to show I'm still part of their crowd too.

Quite sad though to see the number of non-Tesla's on the road and not one of their manufactures did anything to support their owners and improve the charging situation.

Make no mistake - I'll love the Musk cussing hating people to stop and use his chargers. Those are likely the ones to be the biggest assholes.

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
Make no mistake - I'll love the Musk cussing hating people to stop and use his chargers. Those are likely the ones to be the biggest assholes.

Make no mistake, I am one of those Musk hating people. However, I also bought 4 different Tesla's before the Model 3 or Model Y rolled out and I am one of those people who bought Tesla products while the future of the company was still in doubt. Even though I am over Tesla, I have spent more money lifetime on Tesla products than 98% of the people out there.

That being said, I am also one of those people that will use a Tesla supercharger only as a last resort. And, if I have to use a Tesla supercharger, I will certain not invite any bad karma by blocking multiple chargers to charge my truck or my Taycan. I certainly will not do anything other than charge my truck or Taycan and be a polite guest. No need to be an a$$hole, life is too short for that $hit.

Hell, I don't even mind if Tesla wants to charge my non-Tesla vehicle $.50 per KWh since if I am there I will be desperate for juice.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The Superchargers getting the Magic Docks are in areas where the chargers are never full. I'm curious if Tesla doesn't roll these out to the areas where chargers are often fully utilized, to avoid the angry Tesla owners. It makes sense to do the trial in these locations, stalls are always open.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some Tesla owners who frequent very busy charger locations are stressing over this. And that does make sense, but I don't think they have much to worry about. Tesla is trying to make huge increases in the number of chargers over the next couple years and I think most of the Magic Dock locations will be new chargers. Opening up any of the already over-crowded supercharger locations is a concern that Tesla has already acknowledged.
I have to agree. They are extremely good at standing up charger very quickly. With an injection of federal funds I see this happening pretty rapidly. Win for all

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Each of my last two EA stops had a Tesla CCS adapter charging. Maybe they were getting ready for the next few years.
I do find it funny at one stop I frequent to commute. It’s a mandatory stop for pretty much all EVS. This particular stop has only 4 EA posts with one chronically out of service while literally across the street, Tesla has 34 stalls and I still pull up to a Tesla taking one of the EA posts. They have every right to use it but why!?
Sponsored