• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
March 1st! That would be great.
Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Which means the Tesla app will need an update and you'll need to create/register an account and add a form of payment.

Edit - actually a Tesla app update hit just 2 days ago. Notes say the changes are for Solar and Powerwall.
There's been a 'charge your non-tesla' section for a while, but never showed any chargers in the US yet, still doesn't. I'll be sure to be checking it on the 1st.

I already have it all set up from when I had a model 3, but also I still have solar and powerwall.

Reactions: GDN

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
I.T.
Just stopped by the new stations, it’s going to be tight! The cord is 6’ long from the end of the Tesla plug to the base. Add on the CCS adapter you’ll get a little more length but it will be tight.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
On the “Charge your non-Tesla” portion of the Tesla app they specifically ask people to not park sideways, so that will likely limit Lightning drivers to the end stalls only. Of course, the superchargers around me are almost never full, so I don’t think anyone will care.

Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharger with ‘Magic Dock’ CCS Adapter for non-Tesla electric cars spotted in the US. Charges up a Rivian C953CDDD-459C-42A5-9806-251AD4B6A0D0

Sponsored

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
On the “Charge your non-Tesla” portion of the Tesla app they specifically ask people to not park sideways, so that will likely limit Lightning drivers to the end stalls only. Of course, the superchargers around me are almost never full, so I don’t think anyone will care.

C953CDDD-459C-42A5-9806-251AD4B6A0D0.png

Even Tesla sees the upcoming $hit show at some of their chargers. How the hell is a Hummer EV going to fit in a single spot without blocking either parking spot beside it?

I am going to have to keep an eye out for busier Tesla supercharger locations in the greater Denver area and then try to find a good parking spot nearby to watch the party. I may have to get a comfy chair to put in the back of the Lighting just so I can watch some of the upcoming "entertainment" that might arise from a supercharger location after the great opening occurs!

I was thinking a couple of days before Memorial Day weekend or July 4th weekend would be perfect time to sit back, eat Chik-Filet and watch Tesla owners give the evil eye to any non Tesla that shows up to try to charge! Can't wait!

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Tesla is adding chargers at a pace unseen before. North Texas area has exploded. Added 7 or 8 new locations. Added large numbers to almost every Buccee's (rednecks dream store).

I think the key is noted - as long as non-Tesla owners just act normal and don't try blocking stations or being stupid then there won't be a major issue. I will say it will still be nice to have a Tesla in the garage and have a key card in my pocket to show I'm still part of their crowd too.

Quite sad though to see the number of non-Tesla's on the road and not one of their manufactures did anything to support their owners and improve the charging situation.

Make no mistake - I'll love the Musk cussing hating people to stop and use his chargers. Those are likely the ones to be the biggest assholes.
The buccees I stopped at had 40 supercharger stalls...I was pretty amazed.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
On funding at the state level - I don't know which money was spent and used, but Oklahoma has had chargers now every 50 miles for a few years. Francis Energy got money and made it happen. OK is not necessarily EV crowded, but they made it happen, why did no other state get that done? Politics and inaction are likely high on the list. On a side note Francis is kind of like EA and although the chargers are there, most don't work - it is hit and miss, but they did get them installed and with more usage will keep them up better I'm sure.

Af far as the supply chain issues you note - why haven't they impacted Tesla and their Superchargers? Don't blame a supply chain in general for a poorly managed supply chain by a given manufacture. That is poor management not a supply chain issue. Same situation Ford is in with having to pull features from trucks.
Ya I have been pretty shocked to see way more stations in Oklahoma than north Texas.

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

Meccanica

Threads
Reaction score
Website
sdturo.com
Vehicles
Lightning, Model S Plaid, 3 & Y, e-Golf
Occupation
Consultant
As a Lightning and multiple Tesla vehicle owner, I'm not super excited about the Magicdock concept. The design is to comply with the regulations to receive the NEVI funds and to me risks the legendary supercharger reliability.

It would have been better if people had to buy a Tesla adapter that had some firmware in it to tie it to a Tesla account for plugin charge-like functionality.

Removing the need to physically retrofit these chargers with a mechanical device that needs to properly lock and unlock an adapter that is going to get jammed back in its dock 100s of times a month, especially concerning in cold weather climates.

Also the port location on the lightning and so many other EVs is dumb. It should be on the front or back and if not possible as far forward or back as possible. Using short charging cables makes a ton of sense (less weight, less resistance, less chance of the connector being dropped and broken, lower charger costs)

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
This is what happens when you don't have a universal standard. I hate a lot of things about what our government regulates, but there should be a standard charge connector and location.

In all honesty, I think the location should be on the passenger side to aid in on street charging while parked. I couldn't care less about which connector. Pick one. But the longer there is no standard the worse it will get.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I think the location should be on the passenger side to aid in on street charging while parked.
And, while we're on the subject, public Level 2 street charging should involve private cables. (Bring Your Own Cable) Facilitates more aesthetic installations, less easily vandalized, cheaper to install and maintain, more universal availability, etc.

~"That's how they do it in Europe."~ But, I really don't know the extent.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Also being announced on March 1st ... new addition to the the Tesla store .... CCS Extension cords ... for the low price of $420.69 ... Available March 2024....
If they actually sold one and it just derated the charge to 100kW or something, then it wouldn't be a bad option for some people, even though this was a joke.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
That's a good idea. I wonder why most are on drivers side? Old habit of gas cap location?
Gas cap locations are on both sides of the car. Driver's side makes sense because there is/was always a driver on that side. Passenger side makes sense for street parking/charging.
Around here the public charging is all pull in/back in, so side does not matter.

Selfishly I prefer driver's side based on my home parking garage payout. My truck is pulled all the way into the garage (maybe a inch in between the front bumper and the 2x6 framing. In front, like a leaf/Kona/Nero would be very challenging (I have stuff stored above the front of the cars in the garage).
The front quarter panel did not seem as with our volt/bolt. The front end does not stick out that far from the plug, particularly with the bolt. Our phev Volvo has a long front end, but it is never going to DCFC. The lightning is just big. The rivian location is asking to get damaged in a front collision, but it is high enough to be mostly out of the way.
The drivers side rear (Tesla) location is not my favorite but it has the least downside.

If only there was an inexpensive way to have two charging locations per vehicle and if so at least one of them should be left rear/right front (really front, not lightning front). With towing in mind the front location would be better than rear because rear would become the middle. All of this could be solved with pull through charging spots and longer cables.

If a standard charge plug location is legislated what does one do if their vehicle is non-compliant? Could a retrofit be made available at low cost? This has gotten long as I am thinking any typing and thinking some more ...

Tldr: Having no standard is a mess and no location is perfect. What works best for one will be a poor choice for another and we are pretty far along to force a change to existing platforms that are wrong. We are all early adopters, but not that early.

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
I.T.
Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharger with ‘Magic Dock’ CCS Adapter for non-Tesla electric cars spotted in the US. Charges up a Rivian 9D88CEEE-31CA-4ABD-821E-D78FC7394208

Looks like it will fit! Not my truck but someone with my twin beat me to it.

Sponsored