• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
This was on a short 27 mile loop with speeds ranging from 45-70 mph towing a Micro Minnie 2100BH (22'x10'x7', 4100 pound dry weight). there were no major elevation changes on the route. We get about 1.9 mi/kWh without a trailer on the same loop.

This was the efficiency hit we were expecting given our experience with the Ram 1500 Hemi eTorque and this trailer. We got about 7-8 MPG highway towing with the Ram and 17-18 mpg highway without the trailer.

The Lightning towed like a dream compared to the Ram. The lightning was more stable at speed, super quiet, and had smoother and more confident acceleration and deceleration. Having the ability to accelerate immediately, without waiting for gear shifts is a game changer.

I think we can make the range work with our typical towing needs, but I'm worried about the lack of redundancy in the DCFC infrastructure in our area of Middle TN. Access to Superchargers would alleviate about 90% charger-related anxiety.

Ford F-150 Lightning First test ride towing our travel trailer (1.0 mi/kWh on 40-70 MPH loop) 20220710_103009
Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
That is a really nice trailer, I've never really thought about getting a trailer but after checking out the Minnie on the winnebago site I just might be using my Lightning to tow. Towing milage yeah it sucks but it can only get better with more chargeing stations coming.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That is a really nice trailer, I've never really thought about getting a trailer but after checking out the Minnie on the winnebago site I just might be using my Lightning to tow. Towing milage yeah it sucks but it can only get better with more chargeing stations coming.
Definition of getting better?

132kW battery. 0.8 - 1 mile per kW towing. Range between stops, i.e. 80% down to 20% (60% battery) is therefore 79.2kW x .8 or 79.2kW x 1 = 63 - 79 miles. Yes, you can leave your house with 100%, and yes, you can charge higher than 80% (although slower), and yes, you can go down to 10% or lower if you want.

In short though, you're driving an hour to an hour and a half and stopping to charge for 45 minutes or so. That can get real old real fast.

Yes, with charging stations every 50 miles, it won't be a "oops, I can't make it situation".

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Remember to check campsites for 220v hookups. That’s a game changer for rural areas.
Thats what I was thinking, too.

The first TFL Lightning to Alaska video has a comment about folks getting a little upset about their charging at a campground. He didn’t expand with details, it’s about 6 minutes in from the start of their first video about the trip. I’ll bet it will become an issue as more thirsty EV trucks start showing up and slurping up 100 kWh.

Sponsored
OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
The Micro Minnie is nice because it's only 7 feet wide. It makes for much easier towing due to maneuvarability and visibility advantages and helps with aero drag.

vbaker4444

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select AWD
Thats what I was thinking, too.

The first TFL Lightning to Alaska video has a comment about folks getting a little upset about their charging at a campground. He didn’t expand with details, it’s about 6 minutes in from the start of their first video about the trip. I’ll bet it will become an issue as more thirsty EV trucks start showing up and slurping up 100 kWh.
$20 and a case of beer will take their worry away 😉

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
In short though, you're driving an hour to an hour and a half and stopping to charge for 45 minutes or so. That can get real old real fast.
You gotta start somewhere.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Since drag is the biggest factor in towing range, I'm thinking of researching the Trailmanor low profile trailers(used to be Hi Lo). I'm guessing they will do much better than a traditional travel trailer due to aerodynamics. Wonder if I could possibly get 1.5 mi/Kwh with something like this?

TrailManor – Light, Easy-Towing Travel Trailers

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for this report, more points of data for my use case, 7x14 V-nose box twin axle weighing ~4K with race bike and pit equipment.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You gotta start somewhere.
Agreed. As long as people understand what they're getting into.

I expect to get an invitation to order a 2023 at some point. I'm debating doing it, we love our Mach-E and just switched to a 2022 from a 2021. If I buy the Lightning, then I have to either sell the Mach-E, sell the 2013 F-150, or store it outside. Not ready to go 100% EV, and the Mach-E gets much better efficiency on the highway vs. the Lightning. I think I'd be able to drive the same distance on the highway at 70mph, but at the cost of using 80% of a 132kW battery vs. 80% of a 91kW battery.

Guess I'll wait and see when/if I get the invite.

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
coming from the RVing and camping experiences for many years, in a big diesel pusher motorhome with 50amp 240v service, the 'EV charging at a campsite' might create some questions for campground and rv park owners - they can be a very 'rules oriented' bunch. While you have access to possibly the 240v 50amp outlet, the owners of the park may not be so understanding if you plug your truck into in, versus plugging your camper into it.

I would try to 'minimize' the look of charging a vehicle, if possible, and keep it discreet. Yes, park owners are not going to like the idea of the regular overnight fee encompassing a use of 100kwh or more of power. They may set their rate on an 'average' of 20kwh or less. I have even seen some parks that will ask, and then promptly INCREASE their rate, if you have TWO roof air conditioners, and they will also PROHIBIT the use of electric-based heating, in the winter months.

Will there be campgrounds and rv park owners that EMBRACE the EV lifestyle and WELCOME EV owners? Yes. and they will ADVERTISE and draw customers based on that. They see what's coming, and they are ready for it. They may adjust their pricing to reflect it, or may even put you into a site which has it's own METER, charging you the balance above the 'average' amount. That's actually a current common practice for monthly RV sites - the monthly price is for the site, you pay an additional electrical fee each month based on your usage.

It's going to be tough to 'hide' your Lightning's charge port door and charging handle, if needed, but you can get creative. Who knows, maybe you're actually allowing your truck to 'charge' your RV!

We have a somewhat 'local' campground, off I75 in middle Georgia, which advertising it's capability to charge EVs - you simply pay a fee, $10 I believe, to occupy a camp site for as many hours as you need to. Now, if you also have a camper, that's a different story - you pay the regular overnight rate, whether you're staying overnight or not. : )

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
coming from the RVing and camping experiences for many years, in a big diesel pusher motorhome with 50amp 240v service, the 'EV charging at a campsite' might create some questions for campground and rv park owners - they can be a very 'rules oriented' bunch. While you have access to possibly the 240v 50amp outlet, the owners of the park may not be so understanding if you plug your truck into in, versus plugging your camper into it.

I would try to 'minimize' the look of charging a vehicle, if possible, and keep it discreet. Yes, park owners are not going to like the idea of the regular overnight fee encompassing a use of 100kwh or more of power. They may set their rate on an 'average' of 20kwh or less. I have even seen some parks that will ask, and then promptly INCREASE their rate, if you have TWO roof air conditioners, and they will also PROHIBIT the use of electric-based heating, in the winter months.

Will there be campgrounds and rv park owners that EMBRACE the EV lifestyle and WELCOME EV owners? Yes. and they will ADVERTISE and draw customers based on that. They see what's coming, and they are ready for it. They may adjust their pricing to reflect it, or may even put you into a site which has it's own METER, charging you the balance above the 'average' amount. That's actually a current common practice for monthly RV sites - the monthly price is for the site, you pay an additional electrical fee each month based on your usage.

It's going to be tough to 'hide' your Lightning's charge port door and charging handle, if needed, but you can get creative. Who knows, maybe you're actually allowing your truck to 'charge' your RV!

We have a somewhat 'local' campground, off I75 in middle Georgia, which advertising it's capability to charge EVs - you simply pay a fee, $10 I believe, to occupy a camp site for as many hours as you need to. Now, if you also have a camper, that's a different story - you pay the regular overnight rate, whether you're staying overnight or not. : )
Another tactic if "called out" is just throw them an extra $10, 15 or 20 for the electricity. Still come out cheaper than having to find a DCFC to charge up.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
In short though, you're driving an hour to an hour and a half and stopping to charge for 45 minutes or so. That can get real old real fast
Yah! The lightning is really a lighter truck not for heavy duty towing. But its doable. And on my Tundra with 6-7 mpg towing some trips will cost me well north of $500. I can do it on the lightning with 3 hours or so extra for under a $100. Definitely what I would choose.

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
Definition of getting better?

132kW battery. 0.8 - 1 mile per kW towing. Range between stops, i.e. 80% down to 20% (60% battery) is therefore 79.2kW x .8 or 79.2kW x 1 = 63 - 79 miles. Yes, you can leave your house with 100%, and yes, you can charge higher than 80% (although slower), and yes, you can go down to 10% or lower if you want.

Yes, with charging stations every 50 miles, it won't be a "oops, I can't make it situation".

I completely understand that people are going to want to tow with the Lightning. But this truck seems very premature for being used for that purpose. If you use it as a commuter car, with some off road ability, and the ability to move some stuff around in the bed, then it seems like it is a dream come true.

My current F150 can pull a large camper if I need it to, but even it isn't that great. The motor does fine, even though my MPG drops down from 19-20 to 7-9, and with my massive gas tank it can do 250-300 miles while towing that load. But if I were going to tow a 25+ foot trailer very often, I'd really want to upgrade to a super duty, just for the weight and stability.

So I guess if you only two once or twice a year, the frustration of the charging network might be bearable.
Sponsored