• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First time on CAT scales with PB and TT

OP
OP
UGADawg96

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
Oh man, I feel ya. We couldn't fit our kayaks in the trailer so opted to sell them and get inflatables just to make em store easier, and I can put them in the trailer over the axles. They don't ride as nice but they are SO much more flexible for storage and transport!

I got one of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007REK28M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for tongue weight check but the on-board scales sound so cool! Would be fun to play with.

Have you ever hitched up without the WDH before? When I bought the 2500RL I moved my WDH onto it, and I temporarily had both my 2500RL and 2800BH in the same storage lot when we wanted to do the "move in" of all our stuff. Well I had to move the 2800BH closer through the lot so I hitched up with just the ball and safety chains. Hoo-boy without the weight distribution, the best I can describe the steering is the front feels very "watery" when the wheels are not planted with enough weight. It was so trippy...

When you say up one hole on "the hitch" do you mean on the shank or on the spring bar tension? I'm guessing the spring bars to try to throw more weight to the front axle. I think that may work without raising the nose height of the trailer. I'm curious how much one adjust notch will make!
This hitch is really a set it and forget it versus the chain type that can be more easily adjusted I think. I'm talking about these holes on the hitch itself. There is another set where I put the arrows. There is also a knob/thumbscrew that can be adjusted to change the downward angle of spring bars to determine the weight distributing load transferred to the ball mount. The bars on this hitch aren't adjustable once set. Being that the guy I bought the trailer from had this WDH set up for his Ram 1500 and included it in the sale, I had not adjusted it when we rented a few HD trucks over the last six months nor for this first pull with the PB. I think it looks right based on the instructions, but I am far from a pro on these. But if I could adjust it to shift 100 lbs to the front axles and 100 lbs to the trailer axles, that may help, just not sure if that's possible. I guess a diet may be in my future, but man I like to eat and hate to run. ;)

https://www.camco.net/recurve-r6-weight-distribution-hitch-1000lb-kit-48733

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0285/6098/2104/files/48731_33_83.pdf?v=1597176167

Ford F-150 Lightning First time on CAT scales with PB and TT 1641380226690

Ford F-150 Lightning First time on CAT scales with PB and TT 1641380511510
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
UGADawg96

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
Interesting info. Unfortunately, this info isn't working in my favor at all with our Imagine 2970RL. We've only had it on one outing since getting the '21 PB, and it performed well on fairly windy days, coming and going on a 60 mile round trip. 9 MPG with 8-10 locked out at speeds of 55-60. This was on 2-lane highway, so no semis passing and sucking me in. I'm going to scale it in March or April. Guessing we may need to consider downsizing.
IMG_2707.JPG
IMG_2708.JPG
In your pics, your TT looks slightly nose up. Your wheel wells look very similar to mine. I'd be interested in what the scales show for your setup.

OP
OP
UGADawg96

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
Oh man, I feel ya. We couldn't fit our kayaks in the trailer so opted to sell them and get inflatables just to make em store easier, and I can put them in the trailer over the axles. They don't ride as nice but they are SO much more flexible for storage and transport!

I got one of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007REK28M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for tongue weight check but the on-board scales sound so cool! Would be fun to play with.

Have you ever hitched up without the WDH before? When I bought the 2500RL I moved my WDH onto it, and I temporarily had both my 2500RL and 2800BH in the same storage lot when we wanted to do the "move in" of all our stuff. Well I had to move the 2800BH closer through the lot so I hitched up with just the ball and safety chains. Hoo-boy without the weight distribution, the best I can describe the steering is the front feels very "watery" when the wheels are not planted with enough weight. It was so trippy...

When you say up one hole on "the hitch" do you mean on the shank or on the spring bar tension? I'm guessing the spring bars to try to throw more weight to the front axle. I think that may work without raising the nose height of the trailer. I'm curious how much one adjust notch will make!
And my wife would kill me if I told her we had to trade the kayaks, the TT, or the truck. She gets upset when I tell her she needs to upgrade her five year old smartphone or that I want to recycle her VHS machine. Hah!

So I'm trying to really understand our setup currently and see if the hitch could be adjusted or if we have any options to redistribute weight. It is possible that the second battery and tempur-pedic bed are killing us, I just don't know. I really need to know what the current tongue weight is and using the onboard scales next time down should help with that. I was wondering if air bags like the ride right ones could be used to add minor lift to micro adjust the tongue weight based on changing loads, but I haven't done enough research to see if there would be any real gains or a waste of money.

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
For the hitch, I'd start from scratch and set it up for your truck based on the directions. You want to be careful not to take off too much tongue weight. I made that mistake once, and hello wagging the dogs tail. I adjusted it a bit, but also added sumo springs, which compounded the issue. Trailer was very tail happy.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
This hitch is really a set it and forget it versus the chain type that can be more easily adjusted I think. I'm talking about these holes on the hitch itself. There is another set where I put the arrows. There is also a knob/thumbscrew that can be adjusted to change the downward angle of spring bars to determine the weight distributing load transferred to the ball mount. The bars on this hitch aren't adjustable once set. Being that the guy I bought the trailer from had this WDH set up for his Ram 1500 and included it in the sale, I had not adjusted it when we rented a few HD trucks over the last six months nor for this first pull with the PB. I think it looks right based on the instructions, but I am far from a pro on these. But if I could adjust it to shift 100 lbs to the front axles and 100 lbs to the trailer axles, that may help, just not sure if that's possible. I guess a diet may be in my future, but man I like to eat and hate to run. ;)

https://www.camco.net/recurve-r6-weight-distribution-hitch-1000lb-kit-48733

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0285/6098/2104/files/48731_33_83.pdf?v=1597176167

1641380226690.png

1641380511510.png
My bad. That adjust you are showing is the shank height so your nose will change with an adjustment there. I saw this and thought the extra holes were to shift your spring bar tension for more/less as needed. Maybe it doesn't adjust?
Ford F-150 Lightning First time on CAT scales with PB and TT 1641409474708

Good luck with the weight distribution! Understand about the wife and her things. I wouldn't have been able to switch to inflatables until a friend of hers had them and the latest technology is pretty impressive. So it was either hold onto kayaks we can't take camping, or get ones we can!

Sponsored
OP
OP
UGADawg96

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
My bad. That adjust you are showing is the shank height so your nose will change with an adjustment there. I saw this and thought the extra holes were to shift your spring bar tension for more/less as needed. Maybe it doesn't adjust?
1641409474708.png

Good luck with the weight distribution! Understand about the wife and her things. I wouldn't have been able to switch to inflatables until a friend of hers had them and the latest technology is pretty impressive. So it was either hold onto kayaks we can't take camping, or get ones we can!
No worries, to adjust the tension on the bars, the knob/thumbscrew is used. Those holes you posted are for different size trailer frames I believe.

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
No worries, to adjust the tension on the bars, the knob/thumbscrew is used. Those holes you posted are for different size trailer frames I believe.
correct. No adjustment on those.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Isn't it easier to spend $120 on a tongue weight scale to know for sure what our tongue weights are?

LaHerencia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XL SCrew SB Powerboost 4x4, 2018 F450
So finally had the opportunity to hitch up and run across the CAT scales.

Truck specs:
'21 Oxford White, 302a XLT PB 7.2kw 157, 4x4, Max Tow, Tow mirrors, 360* camera, Sport package, 20" Sport wheels, Co-Pilot360 assist 2.0, Interior work surface, Power adjustable pedals, 8 Sp B&O, Onboard scales, Tailgate step/work surface, Box link, Wheel well liners. Factory Payload 1523 lbs.
Added: LINE-X Premium. XPEL PRIME XR tint. WeatherTech HP mats. Rugged Ridge shackle isolators. Sporthfish rear seat release. Geolandar G015 LT285/60r20.

TT factory specs:
Grand Design Imagine 2250rk, UVW 5546 lbs, Hitch Weight 515 lbs, GVWR 7495 lbs, Length 27' 11", Height 11' 0", Axle Rating 3500

The chains were able to reach and connect to the hitch when straight, but they were too tight for my comfort for turns. So I used some shackles to provide a little more reach. Plus, a little more red on this truck never hurts ;)

Before hitching, the front fender was 38 1/4 and the rear was 41 1/8
After WD hitching, the front fender was 38 1/2 and the rear was 39 1/2

1641165369377.png

Not sure if you've had the chance to re-weigh. I used to tow a TT w/2013 Ecoboost. By the axle weights shown, I agree that you've hit you max GVWR. You really need to get the weight of the trailer when its ready for camping because you need your tongue weight to be in that 11-15% range.
Based on my experience, constant measuring, shifting weight around in TT and using a tongue scale, don't worry about the rear fender height. Focus on the front fender height before and after. I always shot for 1/4 to 1/8" higher on front fender after attaching spring bars. Anymore than that and you can feel the TT pushing the trailer while stopping and in turns.
Once you are there, which it looks like you are, is your trailer level or just slightly nose low? Not more than 1". If it is, you are good. I believe I read where you were thinking of raising the tongue of the trailer. This is done by raising the hitch head not by adjusting the spring bars. Most hitch heads raise/lower tongue height no more than an inch so don't go past level or you induce sway.

When had the TT, I always loaded all cargo in the trailer as I was always at max GVWR for the truck and hitch. One last thought, by calculating a tongue weight of 12% for your trailer using the TT GVWR, i get about 900lbs. This should leave several hundred pounds of payload. Maybe you have too much cargo weight towards the front of your TT? My brain hurts now......

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster
Good intel., we've got our eye on a 2600RB and I've run all the numbers using a really great spreadsheet produced by Marc Leach from KYD. Note that I think there is some confusion in the comments above between GCVW & GVWR. https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/

Sponsored
OP
OP
UGADawg96

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
Good intel., we've got our eye on a 2600RB and I've run all the numbers using a really great spreadsheet produced by Marc Leach from KYD. Note that I think there is some confusion in the comments above between GCVW & GVWR. https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/
Yeah, we've followed KYD for a few years. In their video, they ran ~280lb over their GVWR on their F250 for some time. But then again, they buy new rigs almost every year or so.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, we've followed KYD for a few years. In their video, they ran ~280lb over their GVWR on their F250 for some time. But then again, they buy new rigs almost every year or so.
Payload is easy to violate if you're not careful... I would propose that most don't think about GAWR, and frankly I never did until Marc's video.

OP
OP
UGADawg96

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
Not sure if you've had the chance to re-weigh. I used to tow a TT w/2013 Ecoboost. By the axle weights shown, I agree that you've hit you max GVWR. You really need to get the weight of the trailer when its ready for camping because you need your tongue weight to be in that 11-15% range.
Based on my experience, constant measuring, shifting weight around in TT and using a tongue scale, don't worry about the rear fender height. Focus on the front fender height before and after. I always shot for 1/4 to 1/8" higher on front fender after attaching spring bars. Anymore than that and you can feel the TT pushing the trailer while stopping and in turns.
Once you are there, which it looks like you are, is your trailer level or just slightly nose low? Not more than 1". If it is, you are good. I believe I read where you were thinking of raising the tongue of the trailer. This is done by raising the hitch head not by adjusting the spring bars. Most hitch heads raise/lower tongue height no more than an inch so don't go past level or you induce sway.

When had the TT, I always loaded all cargo in the trailer as I was always at max GVWR for the truck and hitch. One last thought, by calculating a tongue weight of 12% for your trailer using the TT GVWR, i get about 900lbs. This should leave several hundred pounds of payload. Maybe you have too much cargo weight towards the front of your TT? My brain hurts now......
I have not yet. I have an appt on Feb 1 to take the TT in for a couple small warranty items. When hitching up, I'm going to recheck the tongue weight with the scales. I'm also going to get their feedback on the hitch setup since I don't currently have the tools to readjust it. I also need to get the updated truck weight since I added LINE-X and LT tires.

f150lifer75

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150XL, ordering a 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Pipeline Controller
Oh man...after reading these posts I guess we are definitely in the market to downsize. I got the Max Tow package on my ordered '22 F150 PB CC to make sure we could handle the overall weight of the TT, but honestly I just did not understand the importance of hitch weight/GVWR/GAWR enough before selling my 250. I just hated that gas mileage for my daily driver and the rough ride. We've got a Keystone Springdale 293rk that is just under 34' from bumper to hitch and none of you have anything that close and you're talking about downsizing...yikes. Well, we were talking about downsizing anyway...

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh man...after reading these posts I guess we are definitely in the market to downsize. I got the Max Tow package on my ordered '22 F150 PB CC to make sure we could handle the overall weight of the TT, but honestly I just did not understand the importance of hitch weight/GVWR/GAWR enough before selling my 250. I just hated that gas mileage for my daily driver and the rough ride. We've got a Keystone Springdale 293rk that is just under 34' from bumper to hitch and none of you have anything that close and you're talking about downsizing...yikes. Well, we were talking about downsizing anyway...
You'll probably be within the towing specs. but you're tight on payload with that hitch weight, not to mention the length. Download the calculator in the attached link and run the numbers for yourself. https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/
Sponsored