• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Flipper prices around MSRP now.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Anyone notice that the price of the Lightning on auction sites is very close to MSRP now?

There are 156-ish Lariats available on cargurus from dealers and they are still asking $20K over, but closed auctions on ebay and cars-n-bids are closing near MSRP. With tax, flippers are breaking even or even losing a little.

I wonder what this means for future value. Similar to Teslas, I expect depreciation to be pretty mild for at least 3 years, when there will be a lot more options.
Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm guessing that depreciation on a Lightning has more to do with what we don't know, than what we do know.

If the market is flooded with EV trucks, especially those with better specs at the same/lower prices, the Lightning will get destroyed in resale value.

If EV truck production ramp across the industry is slow, we likely will do pretty well with minimal depreciation.

I'd suggest that anyone who has a Lightning put in a reservation or two for upcoming EV trucks, to have options. I love the Lightning so far, but it does have some early adopter downsides. I'll continue to own the truck as long as it makes sense, until I can find a suitable replacement (perhaps Ford's next EV truck!).

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Selling is just plain stupid. There is no better car/truck available in the market. People talk about downsides blah blah, but the reality is that if you can afford the purchase, there is nothing else better. I am sure Munros Videos will confirm this. Towing 10’000pounds of water is over rated!!!

Get an extended warranty and keep the sucker for 8 years. The battery is serviceable so unless the truck rusts to ashes, this thing can last for double the 8 years.

The only people that will suffer will be the ones that should not have purchased it to begin with.

I priced an ICE Lariat with similar options and it is more expensive than mine once you account for the tax credit.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'd suggest that anyone who has a Lightning put in a reservation or two for upcoming EV trucks, to have options. I love the Lightning so far, but it does have some early adopter downsides. I'll continue to own the truck as long as it makes sense, until I can find a suitable replacement (perhaps Ford's next EV truck!).
It is always good to keep looking. I have zero interest in the Cybertruck or E-Silverado. I also don't trust any of the new start ups (except Rivian) to actually get anything to market.

Keeping an eye out for the Ram reveal and very interested in the Gen 2 Lightning.

Sponsored

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
Selling is just plain stupid. There is no better car/truck available in the market. People talk about downsides blah blah, but the reality is that if you can afford the purchase, there is nothing else better. I am sure Munros Videos will confirm this. Towing 10’000pounds of water is over rated!!!

Get an extended warranty and keep the sucker for 8 years. The battery is serviceable so unless the truck rusts to ashes, this thing can last for double the 8 years.

The only people that will suffer will be the ones that should not have purchased it to begin with.

I priced an ICE Lariat with similar options and it is more expensive than mine once you account for the tax credit.
And keep in mind it's an aluminum body so you won't get any of that ugly wheel well rusting or bed rust that plagues silverados.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Anyone notice that the price of the Lightning on auction sites is very close to MSRP now?

There are 156-ish Lariats available on cargurus from dealers and they are still asking $20K over, but closed auctions on ebay and cars-n-bids are closing near MSRP. With tax, flippers are breaking even or even losing a little.

I wonder what this means for future value. Similar to Teslas, I expect depreciation to be pretty mild for at least 3 years, when there will be a lot more options.
I sold my 2021 Mach-E for thousands over MSRP a year later, to a dealer. Today, 3+ months later, he still has it and others, and has it listed below what he paid me.

Interest rates and recession talk IMO are the drivers.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
IMO, a lot of the demand for EV’s is coming from people who started making a living off flipping EV’s. I know, it sounds crazy, but that’s what I believe. On Carvana they are starting to cut the prices off everything Tesla.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I'm hoping I didn't overpay but I just got a Lightning. It was an abandoned customer order and dealer sent emails to his reservation holders last night. It was $10K over sticker (Loaded Lariat ER). When you factor in the the MY23 $7500 increase + included mobile charger and the guaranteed $7500 tax rebate vs what I would be looking at for 23, I think I came out ahead. Plus it has the onboard scale and smart hitch (not deleted) and AM radio (actually something I still use)! Oh, and its in my driveway! My luck, I'll get an order invite tomorrow :p.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I'm hoping I didn't overpay but I just got a Lightning. It was an abandoned customer order and dealer sent emails to his reservation holders last night. It was $10K over sticker (Loaded Lariat ER). When you factor in the the MY23 $7500 increase + included mobile charger and the guaranteed $7500 tax rebate vs what I would be looking at for 23, I think I came out ahead. Plus it has the onboard scale and smart hitch (not deleted) and AM radio (actually something I still use)! Oh, and its in my driveway! My luck, I'll get an order invite tomorrow :p.
If your happy then stay happy. I think we will find out that either none of the lightning batteries will qualify for the IRA credit (mineral sourcing) or all except the platinum will qualify (lariat MSRP is $74,000, the ER is an option but who knows). So if it goes that route at worst you paid $2000-2500 over 23 msrp to have now and IMO thats not the end of the world if your happy.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
If your happy then stay happy. I think we will find out that either none of the lightning batteries will qualify for the IRA credit (mineral sourcing) or all except the platinum will qualify (lariat MSRP is $74,000, the ER is an option but who knows). So if it goes that route at worst you paid $2000-2500 over 23 msrp to have now and IMO thats not the end of the world if your happy.
Thanks, I forgot that I really wanted the Lariat ER which is what I got today. But that would not been possible for the tax rebate in 2023 since more than 80K. But it is eligible this year. So I guess I did get a better price than waiting.

Last edited:

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Would I like a longer bed? Yes. Would it be acceptable to reduce the passenger compartment size? Yes (i am 5'5"). Do I want to ever drive a non EV truck again? Nope. If you can afford it, just buy it and keep it and love it. It does all of the truck things that I want it to do acceptably, even towing as long as you aren't trying to tow hundreds of miles. It's the economy (recession concerns, interest rates...) That are driving the lowering of prices.

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Im genuinely happy to hear this. One of the biggest fears driving this truck is that I won't be able to replace it worse case scenario. If trucks are going for more or less MSRP now then I have less to worry about insurance wise. I wouldn't want to fight an insurance company over paying 25-30k marketing adjustment prices

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
If this is still a limited commodity, and there is a sold out line with no ability to order for a few years, and prices for retail are going up I just don't understand how the market allows you to buy one of these below msrp. We live in interesting times.

For the record, dealer near me still asking 30k over sticker. They have 3 on the lot. Probably why they have 3 lol

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If this is still a limited commodity, and there is a sold out line with no ability to order for a few years, and prices for retail are going up I just don't understand how the market allows you to buy one of these below msrp. We live in interesting times.

For the record, dealer near me still asking 30k over sticker. They have 3 on the lot. Probably why they have 3 lol
They probably wont get any dealer stock for 6 months. They aren't in a hurry to sell them
Sponsored