• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

For those with >$300k income, will you still buy a EV w/o $7500 incentive?

If you have >$300k income, will you still buy a EV w/o $7500 incentive?

• Total voters

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
For those with more than $300k income, will you still buy a EV without $7500 incentive?

In California, $2000 rebate has a cap of $200k for a family, that makes the gap to $9500.
Sponsored

jtownsend2266

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
sure will. wasn't buying an EV for the tax credit. credit was just an added bonus

SteelTerp87

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Lariat 2.7L (Platinum Lightning on Order
Occupation
Self-Employed
For those with more than $300k income, will you still buy a EV without $7500 incentive?

In California, $2000 rebate has a cap of $200k for a family, that makes the gap to $9500.
Iā€™m thankful to get the truck this year and not have to worry. I think I would still get the truck if it were next year and I was no longer eligible but Iā€™d probably get the Lariat instead of Platinum

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER, Taycan CrossTursimo4, 23 Canyon
I paid 180k in taxes last year, it is disappointing that Iā€™ll be excluded from future tax credits. Going forward Iā€™ll probably be looking to purchase 1-2 year old used EVs. Looks like used car prices are finally starting to decline.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I don't make $300k but if I did the tax credit wouldn't be a factor. I make a bit more than half that and the tax credit wasn't really a factor. The combination of price increases and loss of tax credit would've definitely knocked me out of the running for a Lightning, or at the very least would've had me considering the XLT SR more seriously.

Sponsored

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'll still purchase an EV, but the lack of rebate will affect how much I spend and what I buy.

For instance, if Rivian's attempt at having everyone sign a "binding contract" works out, I'll just buy the Rivian because it's a much better deal given the price difference.

I can't justify the cost of the Lightning Lariat with ER battery anymore.

By the time I can buy a 2023 Lightning, if I can buy one, there will be some other options... Assuming they don't get delayed:

Porsche Macan EV, Audi Q6 e-tron, Kia EV9, Genesis GV70, Cadillac Lyriq.

Most of these vehicles are predicted to have > 300 miles range. They also should all be equally as luxurious if not more than the top trim Lightnings.

The only downside is that they are not trucks. People needing EV trucks are still out of luck for a while.

Last edited:

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
For MY'22, the price difference for the Lightning vs. an equivalent-priced Lariat model with the same options present was about $11,500 or so. If you very roughly assume $0.20 per mile ($4 gas @ 20 mpg) vs $0.05 per mile ($0.10/kWh, 2.2 kWh/mi, with charging losses), you'll make that up in less than 100,000 miles. That doesn't address other maintenance savings.

So yes, even without the incentive factors, nothing is way out of whack.

That said, I doubt I'd option a gas truck with all those features, there are many I don't need -- but we don't get that choice with the Lightning.

(Yes, DCFC is more costly, some areas have higher electricity prices, etc. so your mileage may vary.)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I mean, worth reminding that Ford was in 2023 going to have little or no tax credits anyway

So the ā€œParmenides fallacyā€ here is that high income Ford buyers are loosing a tax credit starting 1/1/23, when in fact the reality is lower income earners are gaining a tax credit.

There is a narrow bandwidth exception really only for Ford: assuming Ford this quarter hits the 200k ceiling (that appears to be the projection), there would for high income earners still have still been a full credit available for those that took delivery in Q1 ā€˜24, then in Q2 ā€˜24 a $3,750 credit, then Q3&4 ā€˜24 a $1,875 credit, thereafter zero credit

So, for deliveries in 2023 there potentially are some Ford-buying high-income earners losing some credit value due only to their income levels. (But regardless of income level, they may instead be ā€œlosingā€ credit because their vehicle is >$80k, sources battery >41% of critical battery materials elsewhere, etc.).

But after 2023, high income buyers are ā€œlosingā€ nothing, and instead lower income buyers are gaining something whatsoever.

Ford buyers have things much better than folks that were looking to buy something assembled outside North America, starting two weeks ago!

bryan995

First Name
FranƧois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If the $7500 rebate were not available then I would not have purchased. One of the reasons I opted for the 22' XLT SR instead of waiting for the 23' PRO SR.

It would pain me to pay $7500-$9500 more for a vehicle than the average person is paying.

Also - 300k is not very much if you live in coastal CA ;)

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
For me the HOV access is more valuable than the rebate. Here in CA we've had to choose been 2k rebate and the stickers for a minute.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Disingenuous options - it's completely valid to say I can't afford 10% price increase when already stretched to the top of the budget and wait a couple years to buy a used EV or something cheaper like the bolt!
Sponsored