• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford adding automatic lane changes to next version of BlueCruise (version 1.2) in MY2023 vehicles

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Ford BlueCruise Adds Automatic Lane Changing, Starting with Mustang Mach-E

There's no mention of the F150 ICE or Lightning and they're going to start with the 2023 MME. The article says that they have no current plans to offer this feature in an update for older vehicles. It's not at the top of my "want" list, so I don't really care if my MY2022 Lightning gets updated with this feature. I can't imagine that the ADAS hardware is that much different from MY2022 to MY2023, though, so maybe they will update older vehicles eventually.
Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
My interpretation of this is that they are starting with the 2023 MME and will roll it out to others later on. I haven’t read anything that says older vehicles won’t be getting these features.

Reactions: GDN

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
My interpretation of this is that they are starting with the 2023 MME and will roll it out to others later on. I haven’t read anything that says older vehicles won’t be getting these features.
Its the third bullet point at the beginning of the article.

• Ford says the newly added features won't be available to older vehicles via an over-the-air update, at least not yet.
I know the atleast not yet bit is the cya but considering they expect people to pay for blue cruise then they need to make it worth paying for.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The automatic lane change but isn't that important to me, but it also adds better corner negotiation and shifting over in the lane when next to large vehicles, so it would be nice to have.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Its the third bullet point at the beginning of the article.

• Ford says the newly added features won't be available to older vehicles via an over-the-air update, at least not yet.
I know the atleast not yet bit is the cya but considering they expect people to pay for blue cruise then they need to make it worth paying for.
I’m assuming you’re referring to the BlueCruise subscription fees? The only reason for them to exist is for ongoing support and new feature development. So it’s most likely just a matter of time until they add these features to existing vehicles with BlueCruise.

Also they need as many people as possible using BlueCruise so they can collect enough data to improve it.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
On one hand, I don’t need BC lane change so badly that I should care; but on the other hand, to have Ford provide capabilities to other models/years that appear ripe for simple OTA upgrade would be … offensive.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This isn't a must have, but it is very nice and convenient. I've probably only driven 10 miles using Bluecruise, but it is a bit weird after driving a Tesla. If the truck is pretty much driving itself and I press the blinker I'm used to it making the lane change for me. Literally the first time in the truck I sat and waited and was wondering why it wasn't changing lanes. It finally dawned on me.

The key is that likely all the sensors are there. Just needs a little software.

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
The automatic lane change but isn't that important to me, but it also adds better corner negotiation and shifting over in the lane when next to large vehicles, so it would be nice to have.

Amen to this.

It’s scary how close blue cruise will hug you next to a huge semi.

Seems inevitable someone is going to have a very bad outcome one day from this, if it isn’t fixed.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
Wondering if anyone would pay for this feature ? It’s worth maybe $300-400 for me as a software upgrade . I’d rather just have automatic side cameras engaged on the screen when I put my blinker on though.

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E
Just an idea, but it may need more processing power to enable the lane change feature and hence why it may not come to older vehicles. Even Tesla has to do a core cpu upgrade to enable some of their features.

I won’t be mad if that’s the case, but I would like more transparency as to the reasons why.

Sponsored

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
If Ford is going to make us pay a subscription, then they need to add these features to existing vehicles, whenever possible.

I don't know if you guys read another article though, but right at the top...

"The new driver-assist feature is part of the Version 1.2 upgrade to BlueCruise and Lincoln's ActiveGlide system and will roll out to other vehicles later."

Willebrew

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Pre-Order | Lightning Lariat ER Owner
Occupation
Software Developer & CEO - ADAS research and development for fun
Ford claims they are releasing a Lightning OTA update near the end of summer with phone as key, so maybe it will also come with CoPilot360 2.1 with BlueCruise 1.2? I have some experience with ADAS development and these new features shouldn’t make much of a difference on the processing power requirements, and I’d be surprised if they don’t release 2.1 and 1.2 to 2022 Lightning’s. Some of the new features such as “in-lane repositioning” and “lane change assist” can be very helpful, as if someone gets too close to the side of the vehicle, the system can respond, and with lane change assistance may come better overall system confidence. My truck is being built next week, and if it doesn’t get an update with these features, I’ll be disappointed in Ford.

xycarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Sasquatch, Lighting Lariat ER on order
It would be incredibly disappointing to get a new expensive technology centric truck, and not have it not get updates. It would invalidate the whole technology theme, and disappoint all recent purchasers… having said that, I sure hope Ford sees it that way too.

Reactions: GDN

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Has there been any more info on this?
No confirmation about OTA yet, but some MME owners have started taking delivery of BC 1.2 cars. It looks like it’s the exact same sensor suite and seemingly the same hardware too, which is encouraging for the potential of it being OTA. But right now that is still speculation.
Sponsored