• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
FORD JOINS THE VIRTUAL POWER PLANT PARTNERSHIP AS A FOUNDING MEMBER TO SUPPORT GRID RESILIENCY AND EMISSIONS REDUCTIONS

JAN 10, 2023 | DEARBORN

DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 10, 2023 – On Tuesday, Ford announced the formation of the Virtual Power Plant Partnership (VP3), a coalition led by the Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) aimed to scale the market for virtual power plants to help advance affordable, reliable electric sector decarbonization and support grid resiliency.

VP3 includes founding members Ford, General Motors, Google Nest, OhmConnect, Olivine, SPAN, SunPower, Sunrun, SwitchDin, and Virtual Peaker.

"Electric vehicles are introducing entirely new opportunities for consumers and businesses alike, creating a greater need for sustainable energy solutions to responsibly power our connected lifestyles," said Bill Crider, head of global charging and energy services, Ford Motor Company. "Supporting grid stability through the introduction of technologies like Intelligent Backup Power is central to Ford's strategy, and collaborating to advance virtual power plants will be another important step to ensure a smooth transition to an EV lifestyle."

The full press release from RMI is below:

RMI Launches “Virtual Power Plant Partnership” With Support from General Motors & Google Nest
The “VP3” Initiative will Help Catalyze Potential for Rapid Growth of Virtual Power Plants

Boulder, CO – January 10, 2023

RMI, a leading nonprofit dedicated to accelerating the global energy transformation, announced the formation of the Virtual Power Plant Partnership (VP3) Tuesday. In recognition of the critical work needed to tackle scaling the market for virtual power plants, initial funding of the VP3 effort was made possible by General Motors and Google Nest. Today, VP3 includes founding members Ford, General Motors, Google Nest, OhmConnect, Olivine, SPAN, SunPower, Sunrun, SwitchDin, and Virtual Peaker.

VP3 is an initiative based at RMI that works to catalyze industry and transform policy to support scaling VPPs in ways that help advance affordable, reliable electric sector decarbonization by overcoming barriers to VPP market growth. Virtual power plants are portfolios comprised of hundreds or thousands of households and businesses that offer the latent potential of their electric vehicles (EVs), smart thermostats, appliances, batteries, solar arrays, and additional energy assets to support the grid. VP3 follows in the path of successful institutional spinoffs in the electric sector space previously incubated by RMI including the Clean Energy Buyers Association and the Energy Web Foundation.

“Virtual power plants are poised for explosive growth, and RMI is committed to being at the forefront of their success by launching VP3,” said RMI CEO Jon Creyts. “Our analysis shows that VPPs can reduce peak power demand and improve grid resilience in a world of increasingly extreme climate events. A growing VPP market also means revenue opportunities for hardware, software, and energy-service companies in the buildings and automotive industries. For large energy users, VPPs can significantly reduce energy spend while providing new revenue streams.”

“The next 12 to 24 months are critical for policy and program development to seize the potential offered by virtual power plants, and VP3 is here to ensure that the energy transition doesn’t miss a beat,” said Mark Dyson, RMI Managing Director for Carbon-Free Electricity. “Policy change, customer and stakeholder education, and unilateral action by individual businesses or organizations all take time and resources. We’re excited to partner in this work with leading businesses in VPP-related sectors including electric vehicles, building controls, residential energy technologies, utility-facing software solutions, and more.”

More About VP3’s Goals:
With the guidance and support of its members, VP3 is working toward a future where businesses, households, and communities are empowered through VPPs which can help to support cost-effective energy, emissions reductions, and a more resilient electricity grid. To achieve this, VP3 will work to:

1. Catalog, research, and communicate VPP benefits
  2. Develop industry-wide best practices, standards, and roadmaps
  3. Inform and shape policy development
Statements From Founding Members General Motors and Google Nest:
General Motors:

“Virtual power plants present an exciting opportunity to unlock additional value for homes, businesses and communities, helping to drive greater energy independence and grid decarbonization” said Mark Bole, GM VP and Head of V2X and Battery Solutions. “This collaboration underscores GM’s commitment to creating a more resilient grid, with EVs and virtual power plants playing a key role in helping to advance our all-electric future.”

Google Nest:

“We are thrilled to partner with RMI to scale Virtual Power Plants and bring their benefits to households and communities across the US,” said Parag Chokshi, Director, Nest Renew. “Google is committed to building a more sustainable future and continues to lead and encourage others to join us in improving the health of our planet. VP3 will empower individuals and businesses alike to strengthen and decarbonize their local grid with the goal of making energy more affordable for all. Because when we each do a little, it adds up to a lot.”

More About Virtual Power Plants:
A virtual power plant (VPP) aggregates and coordinates distributed energy resources to benefit all those who rely on the electric grid. It is comprised of hundreds or thousands of households and businesses that offer the latent potential of their electric vehicles (EVs), smart thermostats, appliances, batteries, and solar arrays to support the grid.

In a VPP, these decentralized distributed energy resources (DERs) are aggregated into a portfolio. Customers themselves or their authorized energy management companies — with customer permission and the help of advanced software — can adjust charging, discharging, output, and demand from DERs in response to signals from markets and grid operators. In this way, VPPs can play an important role in seamlessly and efficiently matching energy supply and demand.
Sponsored

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
If this means I can plug in my truck and have it feed the grid (V2G), show me some hardware that doesn't cost $10k plus additional home electrical reconfiguration.

I'm imagining swapping out the vehicle wall connector with something that supports V2G like Emporia's charger that is supposedly coming out in 2024. It would be great if people could store excess solar generation in their parked vehicle and then use it or send it back to the grid during peak demand periods.

Mach N Cheese

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Analyst
If this means I can plug in my truck and have it feed the grid (V2G), show me some hardware that doesn't cost $10k plus additional home electrical reconfiguration.

I'm imagining swapping out the vehicle wall connector with something that supports V2G like Emporia's charger that is supposedly coming out in 2024. It would be great if people could store excess solar generation in their parked vehicle and then use it or send it back to the grid during peak demand periods.
Bummer, they had been saying 2023 all last year. I was excited about it until I saw your post, they better deliver soon or else rename it the CyberCharger.

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Bummer, they had been saying 2023 all last year. I was excited about it until I saw your post, they better deliver soon or else rename it the CyberCharger.
I thought it was 2023 as well. They must have delayed it. Likely because the standards around V2G don't sound finalized.
Sponsored