• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Lightning Top 5 things to make a fantastic tuck better

KingKilowatt

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion, 2004 Chevy 2500
Occupation
Enginner
Long-time reader, first-time poster. A huge thank you to everyone creating content about the lighting. It's educational and fun to learn.

1. As Flibble said, when discussing software updates, allow owners to see how fast the truck is charging from a station. Seeing charging speed can be helpful when plugged into a non-fast charge too. It can be small or put it in a subscreen.
  2. Show the % charge left in the battery while driving. Maybe I missed this, but I haven't seen it.
  3. Allow a user to turn down the charge rate. This is especially important if the portable charger draws 32A, and I want to use it with a circuit that's not rated for 32 amps.
  4. Sell us a ford portable charger adapter for an L14-30 (Twist lock power plug in the bed of the truck)
  5. Sell us a 30 amp plug, e.g., 14-30, or 6-30 plug so that I can charge off of an existing dryer plug at the NEC-derated 24amps.
  6. A good customer always asks for one more :) Pet mode! I don't even have a pet and see this as a priority.

For item 1&2, I have a 2010 ford fusion hybrid, which is my favorite vehicle, in the display, you pick from 4 driver modes that go from basic information to advanced. For the lightning, they could give us two modes one that shows all the juicy info (pun intended) (e.g., temperatures, as Kyel requested in his video) and keep the default screen simple for the rest of the world.

For item 3&5, Without a charger cord that automatically reduces the charge current or the ability to reduce my charge current, I'll have to buy another charger to charge at 24A and plug into a 6-30, 10-30, or 14-30 outlet. This is important to me as I'm one of the lucky ones who got a wave 1 order and picked a Pro, and I'll be pushing the range in a few select drives to friends and family. However, the locations that worry the most have 14-30 plugs in the garages, so I will find an option to charge there. I prefer that option not to be buying another portable charger to do it.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Long-time reader, first-time poster. A huge thank you to everyone creating content about the lighting. It's educational and fun to learn.

1. As Flibble said, when discussing software updates, allow owners to see how fast the truck is charging from a station. Seeing charging speed can be helpful when plugged into a non-fast charge too. It can be small or put it in a subscreen.
  2. Show the % charge left in the battery while driving. Maybe I missed this, but I haven't seen it.
  3. Allow a user to turn down the charge rate. This is especially important if the portable charger draws 32A, and I want to use it with a circuit that's not rated for 32 amps.
  4. Sell us a ford portable charger adapter for an L14-30 (Twist lock power plug in the bed of the truck)
  5. Sell us a 30 amp plug, e.g., 14-30, or 6-30 plug so that I can charge off of an existing dryer plug at the NEC-derated 24amps.
  6. A good customer always asks for one more :) Pet mode! I don't even have a pet and see this as a priority.

For item 1&2, I have a 2010 ford fusion hybrid, which is my favorite vehicle, in the display, you pick from 4 driver modes that go from basic information to advanced. For the lightning, they could give us two modes one that shows all the juicy info (pun intended) (e.g., temperatures, as Kyel requested in his video) and keep the default screen simple for the rest of the world.

For item 3&5, Without a charger cord that automatically reduces the charge current or the ability to reduce my charge current, I'll have to buy another charger to charge at 24A and plug into a 6-30, 10-30, or 14-30 outlet. This is important to me as I'm one of the lucky ones who got a wave 1 order and picked a Pro, and I'll be pushing the range in a few select drives to friends and family. However, the locations that worry the most have 14-30 plugs in the garages, so I will find an option to charge there. I prefer that option not to be buying another portable charger to do it.
For your #2 - that is displayed in the gauge cluster (left hand side, where the Tach would be on an ICE truck). Left hand side of the that gauge is current power draw/regen and the right hand side is remaining battery. Not sure if there is a way to show the actual percent as digits (in the Mach-e this is based on drive mode), but you can clearly see what you have left.

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/ERogo/s3/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-instrument-panel.webp

OP
OP

KingKilowatt

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion, 2004 Chevy 2500
Occupation
Enginner

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I would get a thrill if they included a Tach on the dash.

Love to show off my 13,800 RPM!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I would get a thrill if they included a Tach on the dash.

Love to show off my 13,800 RPM!
Do we have that as the number for the Lightning? I know the Mach-e has the 13,800 limit but I haven't heard a good number for the Lightning. Maybe I missed it.

Sponsored

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Do we have that as the number for the Lightning? I know the Mach-e has the 13,800 limit but I haven't heard a good number for the Lightning. Maybe I missed it.
https://insideevs.com/news/529286/ford-eluminator-crate-motor-specs/

"Now, we have some basic specifications and even pricing for Ford’s electric crate motor, courtesy of the product page that we came across via Autoblog and Bozi Tatarevic. As expected, the unit (part number M-9000-MACHE) is sourced from the Mustang Mach-E GT and makes 281 horsepower (210 kW) and 317 lb-ft (429 Nm) of torque.

The motor spins at a maximum of 13,800 rpm and comes with a gear ratio of 9.05:1. It weighs 205 lbs (93 kg) and it’s roughly 370 mm (14.6 in) tall and 345 mm (13.6 in) wide. The assembly is 570 mm (22.4 in) long.

Ford Performance charges $3,900 for the motor, which comes with low- and high-voltage wiring harnesses, and a vent tube. The traction inverter, control system, and battery are not included."

I am guessing, as you are. But Lightning 2 Motors = 563 HP (M-9000 = 2 X 281 = 562 HP) and Lightning Torque = 775 (M-9000 = 317 Torque). Just a guess on my part that Ford is able to increase torque with software and gear ratio. :unsure:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager

"Now, we have some basic specifications and even pricing for Ford’s electric crate motor, courtesy of the product page that we came across via Autoblog and Bozi Tatarevic. As expected, the unit (part number M-9000-MACHE) is sourced from the Mustang Mach-E GT and makes 281 horsepower (210 kW) and 317 lb-ft (429 Nm) of torque.

The motor spins at a maximum of 13,800 rpm and comes with a gear ratio of 9.05:1. It weighs 205 lbs (93 kg) and it’s roughly 370 mm (14.6 in) tall and 345 mm (13.6 in) wide. The assembly is 570 mm (22.4 in) long.

Ford Performance charges $3,900 for the motor, which comes with low- and high-voltage wiring harnesses, and a vent tube. The traction inverter, control system, and battery are not included."

I am guessing, as you are. But Lightning 2 Motors = 563 HP (M-9000 = 2 X 281 = 562 HP) and Lightning Torque = 775 (M-9000 = 317 Torque). Just a guess on my part that Ford is able to increase torque with software and gear ratio. :unsure:
No - I really think the Lightning motors are different units from the Mach-e. The casings look different and the Lightning doesn't seem to have the thermal limit issues the Mach-e does.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
No - I really think the Lightning motors are different units from the Mach-e. The casings look different and the Lightning doesn't seem to have the thermal limit issues the Mach-e does.
Understood. But my tongue-in-cheek post was just about projected RPM so I would expect that number to be similar.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager

I am thinking that for items 3&5 it will be necessary to obtain a third party mobile charger that has a selectable maximum current draw, especially if you think you may be charging another EV that also does not have a selection to limit the current from the EVSE. It would have been nice if that was a feature on the Ford mobile charger included with the Lightnings.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Definitely agree on #2 as a numerical readout and not just a bar graph. I’m just having too much fun in my Leaf coasting downhill or to a stoplight and watching the % go up. Easily entertained, I know.

Sponsored

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
#3-5 are easily addressed with aftermarket solutions. I think the 14-50 plugs are rapidly becoming the standard for EV charging, so I don't think many vehicles are going to come with the hardware needed to charge using other outlets going forward.

It would be nice if Ford provided all these adaptors and chargers, but it's probably a low priority and may not happen.

I agree with numbers 1, 2, and 6.

GreenLady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Maverick
When I owned my EV I ended up purchasing a 25’ charging cord on Amazon with five different plugs since friends I visited did it or not all have the same dryer vent plugs. It worked great and fortunately I still have it 👍🏻 One less thing to buy😏

PlinyTheElder24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma

Does anyone know the Gear Ratio on the Lightning as of now? We know the torque at the motor, but that really doesn't matter all that much if you dont know the final ratio. Also, do we know if the ratio is the same in the Front and Rear drive axles? They looks similar front and rear, so I suspect they are the same. But it would be cool if they differentiated them for power and efficiency.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
Just so I understand properly, we need a 40 amp outlet or higher for the portable charger?

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

I want to buy that crate motor to install on my travel RV trailer to help with the range issue. lol I know it's not a simple as that but I know they are working on it.
Sponsored