• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford needs to let us buy the pro with extended range

OP
OP
Skynetf150

Skynetf150

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 5.0 customized
Occupation
Construction
You were the latest to make the statement. So I'll ask you...why do you think Ford MUST sell this particular configuration for their survival as a company? That the 'might' lose you as a customer? That they 'may' not sell out every vehicle they produce?

Why is it
So they can be competitive and get more sales many people on this forum also want the extended range on the pro model, do you think sucking off Ford will do anything for you? Go pay 20 k more for the bigger battery than badass

3putter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilot
Were you waiting around for 8 pages for someone to agree with the OP just to jump on him and question his character? That's kind of pathetic, man. Just need to start an argument from behind your keyboard, I guess. It's OK. I forgive you.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Were you waiting around for 8 pages for someone to agree with the OP just to jump on him and question his character? That's kind of pathetic, man. Just need to start an argument from behind your keyboard, I guess. It's OK. I forgive you.
You're right. This was not helpful to the conversation. Comments will be deleted.
EDIT: I was not questioning your character, just your reasoning. I apologize that you took it personally.

Last edited:

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
For what it is worth to the conversation, remember the Ford guys at the Lightning Tour did say that Ford may very well offer the ER Pro to the public later, just not in 2022. I am hopeful that the ER Pro being exclusive to fleet customers is a launch year issue. ?

Sponsored

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The problem with that is if you don't already have a pre-order by now you won't be seeing a truck until the end of 2022-2023.
Although I am needing my Lightning by December 2022 (I have a son turning 16 that month and my daily driver will become the family car), those who get their Lightnings in 2023 or 2024 might get an ER Pro as a consumer. One would hope that as production ramps up that Ford may make it available to consumers.

I really want an ER Lightning, but I am trying to convince myself to just get the SR Pro now and upgrade to the 2nd Gen Lightning in 2025.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I really want an ER Lightning, but I am trying to convince myself to just get the SR Pro now and upgrade to the 2nd Gen Lightning in 2025.
This is exactly my thought process and the route I'm taking. I had a day 1 reservation (albeit late in the day), I hope I get one in 2022.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Although I am needing my Lightning by December 2022 (I have a son turning 16 that month and my daily driver will become the family car), those who get their Lightnings in 2023 or 2024 might get an ER Pro as a consumer. One would hope that as production ramps up that Ford may make it available to consumers.

Keep in mind that as it stands today, EVs are the domain of those with disposable income and therefore higher trims/features are expected. The Lightning is a new category, especially with the Pro SR treated as more of a tool. I'm not saying you would have a hard time reselling it anytime soon, but in 5-7 years the residual might take a bigger hit than ER and higher trims. How this launch goes might determine how accessible a 2nd generation is to you in the next 5-7. Personally I would "buy for keeps" which is likely to align with best value long term, even if you sell it.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
I'm in the same boat. I don't live in an area where cold is an issue, so should be a great daily driver for 3-5 years.

With the lack of used EVs on the market, much less EV trucks, I can't see resale being an issue.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
With the lack of used EVs on the market, much less EV trucks, I can't see resale being an issue.
Agree.

People keep mentioning the importance of ER for resale value. For that to make sense you'd have to get back as much (or more money) than your original investment to add ER (unless you'd regularly utilize the extra range, but then that's not about resell value it's about buying the features you will utilize). I have a hard time believing that in 4-5 years the resell value between a Pro SR vs Pro ER or a XLT SR vs XLT ER will make you back all of your original purchase or more from the SR to ER upgrade.

The demand will still be there and we shouldn't have issues selling/trading in our 4-5 year old trucks.

Buy what you plan on utilizing, not what you can get for the features 4-5 years from now...you'd just be throwing money away.

Tomf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Construction Operations
Also in 5-7 years I expect that the dc fast charging as well as destination charging infrastructure will have grown considerably. It might not be as big of a deal then to have 70 more moles of range of you can get that in 15 minutes at every freeway exit.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
Keep in mind that as it stands today, EVs are the domain of those with disposable income and therefore higher trims/features are expected.
If you consider the $10k I paid for my 2013 Ford Focus Electric the domain of disposable income then I'd agree with you.

However its better stated that buying a New BEV is a very costly endeavor and most BEVs (non-tesla) depreciate as rapidly as your cell phone. The 2013 FFE retailed around $39,2K and I got mine certified pre-owned off lease in 2015. Given the features, technology, and range of the F150 I don't anticipate nearly as bad depreciation.

Also the Ford folks on the tour were talking $10K+ for the ER upgrade price and if the quoted trim entry numbers stay about the same that means a $22K increase from Pro SR to XLT ER. As mentioned in other threads that's the price of most 4 door entry level ICE sedans and some hybrids. All to get ~50-70 miles in a single drive. There are already enough CCS chargers around for me to know I can live happily with ~230. Plus what you get for $22k is not nearly the right upgrades for my taste.

Needless to say I'm going with the Pro SR using the Ford Options route to lower my monthly payment and claim any tax credits still around when my order number comes in. This will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased/leased new. The only (need) options I'm looking to add are 80A EVSE, Cloth seats and pwr/heated if possible, running boards if not std. Everything else is a want or a nice to have use 1-2 times a year. Cloth is only a need for South Florida sun and I can settle for the vinyl seats as they are comfortable and my 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport had manual seats windows and just about everything else pretty equivalent to the Lighting Pro package.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

I'm in a different boat. My MME is and will remain my daily driver. I only want the Lightning for when I need to haul stuff. I have no actual need for ER battery. If I were to make Lightning the daily driver, I would be getting Lariat with SR battery. As it is I'm getting Pro and the only options I'm getting are seat covers, window deflectors, basic running boards, and possibly 360 degree camera. All the other creature comforts, I already have in MME.

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Needless to say I'm going with the Pro SR using the Ford Options route to lower my monthly payment and claim any tax credits still around when my order number comes in. This will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased/leased new.
I really want the ER Lariat + trim. But my heartburn is that I'm paying $80k+ for something that 5 years later I may wish I had waited. It seems like chargers and batteries are improving rapidly. There is also the 2nd Gen Lightning in 2025. What improvements will I wish I had waited for in 2025? My biggest fear that is that the 2nd Gen will have 300 miles on a SR battery and the fast DC charges will be able to recharge it in 15 minutes. Then I will kick myself for having spent so much on something I want to upgrade. As @Kiggulak said, it is a $20k jump from SR Pro to a ER XLT. I can't imagine the depreciation on the SR Pro will be that bad.

My goes like this: $40k for SR Pro less $7.5k credit. So for $32.5k I sell it in 2025 to buy the 2nd Gen. Depending on what the federal credit looks like then (I don't believe it will be around in 2025), I should be able to sell my SR Pro for around $25k. Let me know if you think my thinking or math is off.

By the way, can someone tell me why Ford Options is the way to go on the Lightning? It seems that I am paying off the balance or walking away from the Lightning just like a lease with Options. Why not just buy with normal financing?
Sponsored