• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford pro Charge station coming.

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Hey everyone, I got an email that my pro charge station is on the way. Ive been using the travel charger plugged into my wall outlet. The charging has been going pretty slow. Im sure the information is buried in the thousands of posts in this thread but i wonder if someone would be kind enough to give me the 411 for my situation? I don't intend to use the truck to power the house through the pro charger. I also don't intend to change the plug on my wall from what I have got. Given the 50amp breaker and the plug Ive got -what is the best way forward for me?

Does the charger come with a mating plug? Would I be able to push more power if i hardwire the charger? If all I can pull is 40amps of charging how can i limit the charger to only provide that much? Given I don't need the full capability of th pro charger should I sell the pro charger and go with a cheaper aftermarket charger? I already own a charge point for my wife's volt and I can dial back the max provided power on that charger.

Thanks in advance.

steve

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford pro Charge station coming. IMG_4352
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
There is no plug on the charger. It has to be hardwired. You'll have to figure out how much of a sustained load you can pull out of that panel.

If you remove the 14-50 outlet you can use the 50 amp breaker to install the charger and set it to only pull 40 amps.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Unless you get an electrician out to hardware that FCSP into a 100 amp outlet you are better off selling your FCSP and buying a NEMA 14-50 40amp 3rd party charger. That would allow you to maximize your charging capacity with your current infrastructure, assuming you don't want to invest in infrastructure changes or the Automated Home Backup feature.

OP
OP

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Hey Perfect! Thanks for the assist on this. Good to know that the pro charger can be dialed down. Also go to know it needs to be hard wired. I probs will go with a 3rd party charger.

steve

OP
OP

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
So a couple things. 1) I see that the Ford pro charger is selling for $900-1000. The replacement level 2 charger from charge point i want is within $100 of this. So, Im thinking of just going with the Ford and dialing the current down to 40 amps 2) Is there any reason that I cant put a 14-50 plug onto the Ford pro charger? I mean vs hardwiring it?

Thoughts?

steve

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I believe the installation instructions specify hard-wiring. It is an NEC violation to not follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

Using a cord & plug introduces an unnecessary potential failure point and, depending on what code cycle you’re on, may require a GFCI breaker that would not be required if hard-wired.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Check your utility to see if they have a discounted charger or rebates on them.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
You can go to a hardware store and buy a 14-50 cord with a plug on it. Put it on the pro and set it to 40 amp charging. That is what I plan to do with mine if I can not put in a higher circuit.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You can go to a hardware store and buy a 14-50 cord with a plug on it. Put it on the pro and set it to 40 amp charging. That is what I plan to do with mine if I can not put in a higher circuit.
Those range cords sold in hardware stores aren’t designed for continuous duty. Never mind that the terminals on the FCSP aren’t designed for that fine-stranded wire.
Sponsored