• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
My date changed to Apr 13th a couple of days ago. Think it's back in Dearborn getting a new battery!
Anecdotal evidence suggests that appears to have happened for a few folks.

I am hopeful that even with all of those updates, my extended battery Lariat is still showing next week for delivery, in both trackers. 🤞
Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
According to Tesla's service manuals, replacing the battery pack requires a whopping 314 steps.
Yeah, that “structural battery” is smoking hot garbage. As someone who walked away after being rear-ended at speed in a Porsche EV, I feel very lucky that it wasn’t a Tesla.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I intentionally cause damage to OEM EV batteries through multiple methods (overheating a cell, puncturing cells, overcharging a pack, dropping a pack from height, submerging a pack, crushing a pack, etc.) for a living and I STILL bought an EV.

As I tell tours to my lab, if the battery guy is still buying an EV after all I've seen, EVs are pretty safe. Cell imbalances and bad BMS are the most likely way an EV will catch fire without external causes.

Remember all the Hoverboards that were catching fire? It was a faulty BMS that overcharged the cells. Heard about all the eBikes catching fire? Poor quality/counterfit cells are the main reasons.

I will confirm that the fires are very hard to put out. If you think back to the fire triangle, you need fuel, heat, and oxygen for a fire. Lithium is an oxidizer and the cells are fuel. The only way to put it out is to remove the heat. We are starting to see companies come through that are testing different extinguishing methods.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Anecdotal evidence suggests that appears to have happened for a few folks.

I am hopeful that even with all of those updates, my extended battery Lariat is still showing next week for delivery, in both trackers. 🤞
Mine is showing delivery next week still also, but if this whole ordeal has taught me anything it's this: the tracker is accurate until it isn't.

Hope we get our trucks soon though!

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Yeah, that “structural battery” is smoking hot garbage. As someone who walked away after being rear-ended at speed in a Porsche EV, I feel very lucky that it wasn’t a Tesla.
I'll take that structural battery pack any day. Waiting on delivery of a new Y, unfortunately it was built in Fremont.

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll take that structural battery pack any day. Waiting on delivery of a new Y, unfortunately it was built in Fremont.
Sorry to hear it. Enjoy your lack of parking sensors. Hope that your steering wheel doesn’t fall off.

• Haha
Reactions: GDN

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Not sure why this thread and the one below were combined. I don't see them as the same issue.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...-ford-battery-replacement-needed.14433/page-9

My truck is a May 22 build and I got the email/phone call that I had a module that needed to be replaced. I just dropped my truck off for the service work to be performed. I have almost 20,000 trouble free miles on the truck. @TaxmanHog, If there is another thread discussing earlier truck builds battery module replacements, can you point me to it? I don't feel like the current battery issue that stopped production and my issue are the same topic.

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
I lived tnru the Boeing 787 battery fire and response. Im confident all vehicles will be thoroughly checked and repaired. Provided they correctly identified the problem and solution. Which I think they have. Last thing they need is a fire in the fleet with risk of injuries or death. People wont touch a F150 with that risk.

My production date was Feb 6 as well. So its likely getting a new battery in the assembly line. Im glad the problem was found and happy I wont have to return a truck to who knows where for the replacement (I kinda doubt my dealer is ready for that yet). Ill wait.

PS. The 787 is a great airplane despite the battery, fuselage fit and other problems it had. Ground breaking technology tends to have its challenges. Ill be flying in one again in June.

Sponsored
OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any take delivery of a Lightning that was held in transit yet? My tracker is still showing next week for delivery (2/6 was the original week) and I am starting to get hopeful that my truck might actually show up.

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Any take delivery of a Lightning that was held in transit yet? My tracker is still showing next week for delivery (2/6 was the original week) and I am starting to get hopeful that my truck might actually show up.
Not yet (1/16 build week). I was thinking about this some more and remembered that Ford said in their recent truck-is-delayed e-mail:
We will notify you when your vehicle is ready and preparing to ship.
Since I haven't gotten anything I figure I shouldn't expect anything. :( That said, maybe Ford is referring to their usual you-truck-has-shipped e-mail here and there might not be anything for those who are stuck in transit. Very frustrating not hearing anything for two weeks now...

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Has time exceeded anyone's delivery ETA without a delivery? My latest ETA was 3-10 to 3 - 16. Today is the 17th, yet no truck or shipping notice. This is a first since my truck has been built since January.

Has this ever happened to anyone here while checking Ford's online tracker? :unsure:

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150, 2020 Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Occupation
Asset Management
My delivery window this morning showed 3/10-3/16 which was yesterday.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Recalling 18 Lightning Vehicles After Battery Fire 1679065824057

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not yet (1/16 build week). I was thinking about this some more and remembered that Ford said in their recent truck-is-delayed e-mail:

Since I haven't gotten anything I figure I shouldn't expect anything. :( That said, maybe Ford is referring to their usual you-truck-has-shipped e-mail here and there might not be anything for those who are stuck in transit. Very frustrating not hearing anything for two weeks now...
I spoke with Ford today. They told me that at the moment, the week of 3/21 is still my date. Per this Ford person, no vehicles that have been held in transit have been released yet, but that will likely change next week. "Det, I will give it to you straight, there's a 50/50 chance that you'll actually get your truck next week". He also said that he's heard the rumors of trucks going back to Dearborn and said that it is unfounded. He asserted that no trucks have been sent back -- each truck being held in transit is being inspected at those holding locations. Very informative conversation. Hey, there's a chance that my truck may well show up next week as scheduled.
Sponsored