• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jreed

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 XLT
Are we sure these 18 trucks aren't just the trucks that somehow made it to the dealers and possible into customer's hands? Does this also include the trucks that were left in transit? I'm worried that more trucks might be affected, but they only need to issue a recall to trucks that were delivered.
You are absolutely correct more trucks are affected but because Ford still owns them (haven’t been delivered to dealers or customers) we may never know how many trucks needed battery replacements. Which is the frustrating part of this whole process, does my truck need to have the battery replaced. All we know for certain is our delivery date keeps moving out and maybe it’s current location. Ford needs to contact every customer and dealer who has a truck in transit and let them know the current status.
Sponsored

abel408

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro
Some are special orders and some are dealer stock based on the window stickers that are still visible, about half are no longer visible and the production date tracker shows the others have been delivered.

If there are more trucks affected than what they listed above I would expect to see an amendment of the filing of affected VIN's at some point.
I also just checked all the order status's for the stickers that were available and they are all delivered or unavailable so it sounds like I may be correct in that the recall is just for trucks that some how made it's way to dealers during the stop transit and the actual number of "built" trucks affected is much much more.

EDIT: Actually, there is one that still has a status of shipped (1FTVW1EL5PWG11047). What is strange with this one is that the estimated delivery date doesn't look like it's changed and the build date is 2/03... Which is outside the 1/20-1/26 dates in the recall information. It's production date of 1/24 does fall within that date though so we may be looking at trucks that have a production date of 1/20-1/26 instead of build date.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Recalling 18 Lightning Vehicles After Battery Fire Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 12.21.37 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
I agree with the thinking that the 18 are the ones that just happened to get into customer’s hands before the shipping hold.

Reactions: GDN

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
The 8 digit of the VIN tells us these trucks were all SR models

1679491235201.png
Some are special orders and some are dealer stock based on the window stickers that are still visible, about half are no longer visible and the production date tracker shows the others have been delivered.

If there are more trucks affected than what they listed above I would expect to see an amendment of the filing of affected VIN's at some point.

Man.. you put in much work around here and I think that I speak for everyone when I say, we appreciate your knowledge, research and all that you do on this message board. Thank you! 🤩

Last edited:
OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Both the dealer and I are seeing an estimated delivery of this week, but we’ve also got this status. My optimism of it actually showing up is fading fast. 😭

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Recalling 18 Lightning Vehicles After Battery Fire imagejpeg_0

Sponsored

abel408

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro
Both the dealer and I are seeing an estimated delivery of this week, but we’ve also got this status. My optimism of it actually showing up is fading fast. 😭

imagejpeg_0.jpeg
Is that unitedroad? Do you have access to that or was that the screenshot your dealer sent you?

abel408

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro

imagejpeg_0.jpeg
Do you know if that's changed or has it always looked that way since the stop production was announced?

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you know if that's changed or has it always looked that way since the stop production was announced?
I can’t confirm as this is the first time that I was sent an actual screenshot. My dealer and salesperson have been awesome through this long and suffering process.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Probably not economically practical but you would think doing a CT scan on all battery cells in the process of manufacture could save millions of dollars in potential recalls and lawsuits down the line. And just like AI is better than human radiologists in reading mammograms, AI might be ultimately more thorough and reliable than humans in learning signs of potential danger in a CT scan of Li-ion battery cells. Perhaps the deformation that brings contact between anode and cathode only occurs during the heat of charging to a high level because of increased electrical resistance, but there must be some indication in the location or shape of the electrodes in the cold, manufactured state - or maybe every cell needs to have either a static or a "video" CT-scan during a stress test designed to emulate charging (rapidly?) to a high level.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...vehicles-after-battery-fire.14853/post-308387

Sponsored

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Wow, another whole week before they even communicate with us in which trucks could be affected. This is bullshit. They might not ship built trucks for several more weeks.
They're not going to necessarily communicate with those of us that have had their built trucks held up in transit. Ford is going to reach out to those 18 customers by then. Agree that we're probably looking at weeks though. 😕

abel408

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro
I wanted to try to find a better way to pin point exactly what trucks might be affected and in need of a battery replacement based on the vins found in the recall notice. As you may know, the last few digits of the vin do not necessarily tell you the order in which the trucks were built. So you could have a vin with a higher last 5 digit vin that was built before a truck with digits that were lower. Of the window stickers that are still available, they all have a blend date between 1-22 and 1-25. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of data to go by as only 5 trucks still have their stickers available, but with that information, my theory is that the date range of 1-20 to 1-26 in the recall notice refers to the blend date. Meaning that if your truck has a blend date of before 1-20, your truck may not be affected.

Here are the vins that had an available window sticker and their blend dates:
1FTVW1EL2PWG11054 01-24​
1FTVW1EL5PWG11047 01-25​
1FTVW1EL7PWG08599 01-22​
1FTVW1EL8PWG08143 01-25​
1FTVW1ELXPWG07639 01-25​

Last edited:

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I wanted to try to find a better way to pin point exactly what trucks might be affected and in need of a battery replacement based on the vins found in the recall notice. As most know, the last few digits of the vin do not necessarily tell you the order in which the trucks were built. So you could have a vin with a higher last 5 digit vin that was built before a truck with digits that were lower. Of the window stickers that are still available, they all have a blend date between 1-22 and 1-25. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of data to go by as only 5 trucks still have their stickers available, but with that information, my theory is that the date range of 1-20 to 1-26 in the recall notice refers to the blend date. Meaning that if your truck has a blend date of before 1-20, your truck may not be affected.

Here are the vins that had an available window sticker and their blend dates:
1FTVW1EL2PWG11054 01-24​
1FTVW1EL5PWG11047 01-25​
1FTVW1EL7PWG08599 01-22​
1FTVW1EL8PWG08143 01-25​
1FTVW1ELXPWG07639 01-25​

Hmm... my blend date was Jan 15. :unsure:

f150lntng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat SR
My Blend Date was 12/16. Been sitting in hot Florida sun for 2 months now at the rail yard 1 mile away from the dealership. Either this problem is WAY bigger than Ford is letting on OR they are completely incompetent at releasing the trucks that do not have the issue. If they are telling us the truth about the 1/20-1/26 dates, there is no reason for a majority or our trucks to remain stuck in transit. So this lack of movement and communication only leads me to believe they are not telling us the truth.

VTRedWingsFan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Escape
Occupation
IT delivery
My Blend Date was 12/16. Been sitting in hot Florida sun for 2 months now at the rail yard 1 mile away from the dealership. Either this problem is WAY bigger than Ford is letting on OR they are completely incompetent at releasing the trucks that do not have the issue. If they are telling us the truth about the 1/20-1/26 dates, there is no reason for a majority or our trucks to remain stuck in transit. So this lack of movement and communication only leads me to believe they are not telling us the truth.
My blend was 12/22 and took delivery 02/07, but I have an ER. Definitely some information gaps. This whole reservation/order process has lacked transparency.
Sponsored