• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
So Ford just threw some big batteries and a couple of electric motors in an F150 frame and called it a day?

Ummm, that's not exactly how this works. Ford built the First electric F150 about 3 years ago. (that we know of. Likely earlier) Then revealed to us that they were doing it better than 2 years ago.
Remember

Then showed us what it would actually BE, The F150 Lightning, about 8 months ago, or a year before anyone could have one in the driveway.

What do you think was going on all that time?

As for the Powerboost..... That's a far more technologically complicated vehicle and yet there are now many thousands of them out there. The 15 or 20 on this forum reporting the issues mentioned? That's pretty much typical of every make/model on the planet.

I'm not in denial about first year teething problems. That's inevitable. But when it comes to trucks? I'll take a first year Ford Truck over First year anyone else, except perhaps Toyota. And that's not because I particularly like Toyota trucks, but as a manufacturer they have earned respect.
Sponsored

Last edited:

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT SR , '93 Mustang GT, '11 E450
People need to also realize that EVs are often so fast/powerful because it's just the nature of the electric delivery system.
People need to also realize that you can't break the laws of physics. Ford has set a limit for how many Kw the battery can supply. That in turn is going to limit the acceleration of a 6,750lb truck no matter what kind of mechanical/electrical trickery is employed.

I anxiously await the first real instrumented drag strip test of the new Lightning. I expect the ER to trap no more than 104mph in the quarter mile with an ET in the high-12 second range due to the great off-the-line performance of an AWD electric vehicle. That's not bad but it is not faster than my current 2018 5.0 and certainly no supertruck.

Consider that the 835hp Rivian R1T which is just a few hundred pounds heavier than the ER Lightning and DOES have instrumented testing can only manage 11.7@111mph in the quarter mile. Yeah I know that sounds jaded - who ever thought 20 years ago that we'd be able to buy vehicles like these...

Bottom line for me is that I am NOT going to cancel my order just because I can't get an inexpensive ER Lightning. Disappointing as it is, I'm going to shoot for a SR Pro/XLT for my daily driver and get my performance jollies elsewhere, for now. The premium for the ER battery is just too much for me to stomach.

Shady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150xlt
Might need a bit more than that for the 0-60 times (not sure how good the latest tunes are on the 3.5), but a Coyote with a supercharger will get you there. Above ~60-70mph Any of the ICE trucks (except maybe the base NA 6 cyl) will be significantly faster than the Lightning - EV's don't have a great top end.

At that point its more about the driver than the vehicle

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
You're kidding, right? All you need on the 2021 is 4wd, 3.5 Ecoboost, a tune and E-85. Maybe you're forgetting that a gas truck weighs 1,500lbs less than a Lightning ER? Surely a non-newbie like yourself understands the effect of weight on performance.
So wait. All I need is E-85 and a tune?

Is that right? Could you please point me in the direction of the tuning shop that will do that for me on my 2021 Powerboost? Or my friends 2021 EB?

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So wait. All I need is E-85 and a tune?

Is that right? Could you please point me in the direction of the tuning shop that will do that for me on my 2021 Powerboost? Or my friends 2021 EB?
5 star turning seems to be many peoples go-to

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I can't think of company in the world to make their first EV truck better than Ford, so yes.
and yet the powerboost, a “half EV” is plagued with problems. Ford might be the best one to make it, but doesn’t mean it’s gonna be a good product out the gates. Their track record backs that up.

Sponsored

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT SR , '93 Mustang GT, '11 E450

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum

That's a website error.
5* is really really good at tuning the 3.5 Ecoboost. And have done thousands.

But not the 2021. Not yet anyways.
And the one company that has cracked the encryption has just gotten started and they haven't even touched the Powerboost. It's probably intimidating to even consider it at this point.

Edit : After reviewing the links above, I realized that they point to a new product that is not the website error that had previously been reported on another forum regarding 5* tuning of the 2021.

This new product is technically a tune, but a very different approach than traditional pcm flashing.

Regardless, it does not apply to the Powerboost, so the original post regarding tuning a Powerboost is still not accurate.

Edit 2: I visited the forum for that piggyback product that 5* is selling for the 2021 and there IS a Powerboost owner posting that he's using it.

I don't know. Piggybacking feels too.... I don't trust that approach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.