• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Forgive the newbie towing question... Powerboost vs Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150, '05 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Sorry for the newbie question about towing... but my PowerBoost is my first truck, and I have never towed anything.
(Yes... if I do this, I promise to post a warning to the group with my route so that everyone can steer clear!) :)

I am going to be heading East from California soon and I am trying to decide if I should stay in AirBnB's along the way or if I should just buy something like a Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring trailer and just try the RV nomad life.

The very first question I would have to answer, is if my 2021 PowerBoost could pull this thing.
I do not have the max tow package or tow mirrors, but I do have the "Trailer Tow Package."

Specs:
Length: 35' 5"
Base Weight: 6096 lbs
Carrying Capacity: 1404 lbs
Hitch Weight: 690 lbs
Axles: 2

My other concern (never having owned a trailer) is if I'd be too claustrophobic with an interior height of 78" when I am 76" tall. Hmmm.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
(Even if it's brutally honest... "You'd be getting in over your head with this as your first trailer")
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
  1. What is the payload capacity of your specific truck (yellow and white sticker inside drivers door)?
  2. What do you expect to have in the car with you? Just yourself? You and your SO? You, your SO and small kids? You, your SO and teenagers?
  3. Will you have anything else in the truck with you (which would increase payload)
I've never towed before either and based on my novice reseach I would not tow that with my powerboost with me and my family (Me, Wife,3 kids (6, 8, and 13)). My payload is 1,468lbs though and until I lose some of this weight, that would be too much for me based on my specific circumstances.

I think others will need those questions above answered to give you good advice. Dont' take what I would or would not do as any indication if you should or should not do it. I'm just giving you my opinion on what I would do as someone else who has also never towed a TT before.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
That’s a fairly long trailer for the PB. Would highly recommend a weight distributing hitch if that weight is in spec for your GVWR

OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
  1. What is the payload capacity of your specific truck (yellow and white sticker inside drivers door)?
  2. What do you expect to have in the car with you? Just yourself? You and your SO? You, your SO and small kids? You, your SO and teenagers?
  3. Will you have anything else in the truck with you (which would increase payload)
I've never towed before either and based on my novice reseach I would not tow that with my powerboost with me and my family (Me, Wife,3 kids (6, 8, and 13)). My payload is 1,468lbs though and until I lose some of this weight, that would be too much for me based on my specific circumstances.

I think others will need those questions above answered to give you good advice. Dont' take what I would or would not do as any indication if you should or should not do it. I'm just giving you my opinion on what I would do as someone else who has also never towed a TT before.
Paylod capacity: 1,434 lbs
It'd just be me (220 lbs) and a small dog for passengers... maybe another 600-800 lbs of "cargo" (stuff I just need to live on while I travel), which could be spread between the truck and the TT.

GVWR 7,350 lb.... so I think I'd be pushing it with this trailer.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Lariat Screw, 22 Lariat Screw on order
What is your payload according to the yellow sticker on the B-Pillar post of the driver's door? Your rated hitch weight is probably going to be significantly heavier than 690 lb. when the trailer is loaded. If you assume 800 lb hitch weight, then that plus your weight and the weight of any passengers, gear loaded into the truck, and hitch weight cannot exceed the number on the payload sticker. If that is within spec, your truck will pull the trailer but you need the hitch to be a stabilizer/weight distribution hitch (~80 lbs with tension bars) to keep your rig straight down the highway.

Notes about trailer life: I'm 72" tall and my trailer is a bit cramped, but the layout of the one you identified is more open, IMO, so it might be better. After 5 years, I'm kinda burnt out on travel trailers because they require a lot of upkeep. All the caulking/sealant around windows, doors, on the roof need to be refreshed regularly (the window sealant from the factory on my slideout was inadequate and needed to be extended the first year), wheel bearings need to be repacked regularly, interior construction needs to be repaired regularly, and comfort of supplied furnishings are marginal. My wife still likes RVing, but she doesn't have to do any of the maintenance (or driving). The one big plus from my perspective is that I'm always sleeping in my own bed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
The base weight and tongue weight are guaranteed to be considerably optimistic.
Or put another way, the tongue weight will be more than that, by as much as a couple of 100 lbs.

And the length is more than I'm comfortable with unless the Powerboost had the longer wheelbase and the Payload capacity of an HDPP F150.

As for will the Powerboost "pull it"?
Yes, like a freight train. 600lbs of torque will pull almost anything. But "carrying" the weight on its chassis? Another story altogether.

I know some real pro's at dialing in the suspension and WD of a 1/2 ton with Condo-on-wheels. They would be able to get a rig described like yours tow worthy, even if it was a bit over the official numbers. But that took years of experience, if you know what I mean.

You'll recognize a well sorted heavy hauling Ecoboost because it will have considerable aftermarket modifications.

Tires, shocks, Antisway bar, helpersprings, Airbags, and fancy WDH.

OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok... that was quick... (and not unexpected)...

I think I'll just forgo the TT and load up the bed with CostCo bins of stuff and "AirBnB" around the country. :)

That'll lead to my next thread... "How to secure my truck" (i.e. secure the Flex Armor tonneau cover, tailgate and catalytic converters).

Thanks for all the quick responses and advice! I think you've saved me a huge headache and saved the lives of countless people who would have been in my path!

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
If it's just you and your dog, you can get smaller TTs to pull without a problem. You could even do just a teardrop if all your'e looking for is sleeping somewhere.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just so you know, I have been a full-time RVer for several years and the Powerboost was a dream come true. It's magnificent for the lifestyle.
I have 4 different RV's and none of them are beyond the capabilities of the truck.

They range from tiny (teardrop) to small toy hauler (motorcycles) to a 30' but very light for its size. My permanent residence is ~22' and ultra light.

There's so many choices out there. You just gotta be reasonable and match up properly.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
The payload capacity of my 145" 501A Powerboost is 1480. I'll probably have 400 lbs of passengers and dogs, and maybe 200 lbs of gear in the truck. Therefore I am looking for a dry tongue weight between 600-650 lbs, and a maximum trailer length of 26' (my RV parking space is 27.5' long).

I don't want to be pulling a long trailer through the mountain passes. I reckon I'd be able to negotiate the twists and turns OK, as long as I don't have a trailer that is significantly longer than my truck.

Jus' Sayin

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it's just you and your dog, you can get smaller TTs to pull without a problem. You could even do just a teardrop if all your'e looking for is sleeping somewhere.
Agree!
A teardrop with a Powerboost is the boondockers dream machine. :)
Queensize, Air conditioned, and wonderful kitchen!

Ford F-150 Lightning Forgive the newbie towing question... Powerboost vs Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring WP_20170512_14_48_10_Rich_LI

Ford F-150 Lightning Forgive the newbie towing question... Powerboost vs Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring batavia

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Expedition; 2022 F150 Lariat PB on order
I agree with this.

Travel trailers will work with half-ton trucks, but you need to be mindful of your limitations. Powerboost trucks even more so, because they're not eligible for many ways to mitigate a low payload, like the Heavy Duty Payload Package. A 35' trailer that is 6100 lbs before you add any cargo, water, propane, batteries, food, etc. is probably too large for any F150 (even the HDPP trucks--they might be able to deal with the payload, but 35' seems...daunting). When looking at trailers, focus on the maximum weight rating of the trailer, because that's most likely going to be the weight that you'll be pulling when fully loaded with cargo, food, water, etc. The trailer tongue will likely be 50%+ higher than what the dealer lists as "dry hitch weight" because propane tanks, battery, and all of the gear in the forward hatch are all heavy and balanced towards the front of the trailer.

For example, my 24' travel trailer (that is: 24' of enclosed trailer; it's really 29' from bumper to hitch) is about 6500 lbs, including about 900 lbs of tongue weight (it fluctuates by +/- 50 lb depending upon where the cargo is balanced in the trailer). The maximum weight rating of this trailer is also 6500 lbs--I can't actually load it with water and stay within the weight rating because of all of the other cargo that we carry inside. The original marketing material described it as 5170 lbs (dry) and 570 lbs of dry tongue weight. So, with my 800 lb of passengers (family of 5), I'm going to need at least 1700 lbs of payload to be in spec...which is why I ordered a 4x2 truck.

In the OP's situation, you could probably pull a smaller trailer (20 - 24') fairly comfortably, especially if it's just you and a dog. And the powerboost will open up many more camping opportunities because you're not dependent upon finding a location to provide electricity.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I think you can even find smaller TTs to pull. For my family of 5 I was looking into this Jayco (or similar size). It's not as long, but at least can sleep 5 (# of peeps in my family)... My thought was that yeah it's small in side, but hopefully we won't be spending a lot of time inside the TT. :)

I'm still pondering it because even the <4k lb weight could be pushing it by time we add 5 of us in the truck plus other supplies in the truck and TT.

https://www.jayco.com/rvs/travel-trailers/2022-jay-feather-micro/171bh/

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
And the powerboost will open up many more camping opportunities because you're not dependent upon finding a location to provide electricity.
I've been thinking about this in the context of trailers. With the PB, and as more trucks come out with effectively "generator" capability, the need for propane, and associated tanks and weight, as well as potentially some battery weight might go down. Certainly for cooking you could see switching to an electric or induction hot plate.
As long as we're paying a penalty for having those batteries in the PB, it would be good to be able to use them.
Sponsored