• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Forgive the newbie towing question... Powerboost vs Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I use propane at a very slow consumption rate. The hot water heater is set to electric rather than propane. (dual fuel)
The refrigerator is similar and set to electric.
Microwave and Air/fryer-convection oven is electric.
So only very cold weather, requiring cabin heat using propane, results in noticeable consumption.

Having said all that, with the Powerboost you could certainly reduce the weight of 2 30-gallon tanks to 1 20-gallon tank without propane anxiety. :)

I also recommend a high quality air conditioner soft-start. Even though the mighty Powerboost can handle the temporary surge of the cheap compressor, the softstart is a really nice modification.
Sponsored

Gman61

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
If your goal is to tow and this is the first trial/test, you are not looking at the big picture. There are all kinds of situations involving towing we get involved with that can be done, but practically and safely should not be done. Your PB could tow the crap out of just about anything with wheels, but you need to look at what is safe. First of all if towing is what you want you really need to step up to at least to a F250 or a F350. Plus if you are not planning on using your RV for other than the two weeks of vacation from your work, it is going to sit quite a bit. I'd vote B&B right there. Or you need to go small...your payload goes south in a hurry, with totes of clothes, firewood, camping stuff , fishing gear, and safety gear you can stuff in the back, not to mention your weight and passegers weight. You might be at max payload before putting an RV on your hitch. You really should watch towing vehicle videos on youtube, you will see some pretty ingenious ways people try and beat the system - and pay for it. Some states have strict laws which could shut you down on the roadway because of too much weight. I have towed since I was a kid in the 70's. I'm not an expert by any means, but if your towing more than jet skis it can be down right depressing to try and max out a F150 for towing an RV. Which the RV is a story in itself, parking, winterizing, breakdowns, $$$.... I may sound like a downer about the towing. I still tow, but with the F150 - I keep it small. Sorry for the rant...it's my personal opinion and it's based on what I've seen on the road and while camping in America.... Long live the Superduty....Stay Safe....consider the B&Bs

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Expedition; 2022 F150 Lariat PB on order
I've been thinking about this in the context of trailers. With the PB, and as more trucks come out with effectively "generator" capability, the need for propane, and associated tanks and weight, as well as potentially some battery weight might go down. Certainly for cooking you could see switching to an electric or induction hot plate.
As long as we're paying a penalty for having those batteries in the PB, it would be good to be able to use them.
Maybe. A hot plate is certainly possible, and as others have said, dual fuel water heaters and refrigerators are already fairly standard. However, changing over the oven/stovetop, outdoor grill, and heating system from propane to electric would be fairly large expenses if you're doing it yourself, and would likely be high energy draws on the PB battery. I would assume that the truck would have to turn on fairly often to keep the PB battery charged, which might in turn limit its value if you are effectively trading propane for gasoline to power the same appliance.

If you're suggesting that RV manufacturers would switch their default standard appliances from propane appliances to electric appliances at the time of construction...it's possible, I guess. I would think that hybrid trucks and/or EV trucks would have to be a MUCH larger share of the market (like near 100%) for them to risk alienating potential buyers who don't have that type of vehicle.

I guess I view the PB generator as augmenting my current capabilities and expanding my options, but I'm not sure that I'm looking for it to fully replace the systems that work pretty well as currently designed.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Expedition; 2022 F150 Lariat PB on order
First of all if towing is what you want you really need to step up to at least to a F250 or a F350.
Respectfully, I disagree. I've towed my 6500 lb. travel trailer probably 30,000 miles with a half-ton (back and forth across the country twice, plus numerous other trips). It's perfectly safe, if you stay within the towing limits (all of them; not just max towing weight that all of the marketing materials focus upon). I do agree with you that there are lots of folks (maybe most) who don't take the time or don't understand what all of those limits are, and end up towing beyond their vehicle's capability.

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Maybe. A hot plate is certainly possible, and as others have said, dual fuel water heaters and refrigerators are already fairly standard. However, changing over the oven/stovetop, outdoor grill, and heating system from propane to electric would be fairly large expenses if you're doing it yourself, and would likely be high energy draws on the PB battery. I would assume that the truck would have to turn on fairly often to keep the PB battery charged, which might in turn limit its value if you are effectively trading propane for gasoline to power the same appliance.

If you're suggesting that RV manufacturers would switch their default standard appliances from propane appliances to electric appliances at the time of construction...it's possible, I guess. I would think that hybrid trucks and/or EV trucks would have to be a MUCH larger share of the market (like near 100%) for them to risk alienating potential buyers who don't have that type of vehicle.

I guess I view the PB generator as augmenting my current capabilities and expanding my options, but I'm not sure that I'm looking for it to fully replace the systems that work pretty well as currently designed.
Well, you're not going to be running the cooktop/oven/grill that frequently, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that draw. Heater in cold temps and a big RV...that's a different story. A PB wouldn't wouldn't do as well with that kind of load. But on the other hand, people are setting it up so that a PB can power their house during outages. If it can do that, it can run most RVs for a couple days.
You're completely right about manufacturers not making a switch until there's a much bigger market. I'm not expecting that anytime soon. The post was more just me trying to think outside the box relative to PB capabilities and reducing the weight that propane adds to trailers.

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry for the newbie question about towing... but my PowerBoost is my first truck, and I have never towed anything.
(Yes... if I do this, I promise to post a warning to the group with my route so that everyone can steer clear!) :)

I am going to be heading East from California soon and I am trying to decide if I should stay in AirBnB's along the way or if I should just buy something like a Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring trailer and just try the RV nomad life.

The very first question I would have to answer, is if my 2021 PowerBoost could pull this thing.
I do not have the max tow package or tow mirrors, but I do have the "Trailer Tow Package."

Specs:
Length: 35' 5"
Base Weight: 6096 lbs
Carrying Capacity: 1404 lbs
Hitch Weight: 690 lbs
Axles: 2

My other concern (never having owned a trailer) is if I'd be too claustrophobic with an interior height of 78" when I am 76" tall. Hmmm.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
(Even if it's brutally honest... "You'd be getting in over your head with this as your first trailer")
Thats a huge camper for just you and a dog.

I would get something smaller. Can get a 19-21 ft camper with a queen bed and bath/shower.
Also, get one with slide out for kitchen or dining area. Makes a huge difference.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
First of all if towing is what you want you really need to step up to at least to a F250 or a F350. Plus if you are not planning on using your RV for other than the two
Its not the 70s anymore., needing at least an F250 or F350 to tow???

The new F150 properly equipped with Max Tow can do 10,000lbs+ safely and easily. If you're not packing 500lbs of clothes and 300lbs of fishing poles.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA

The new F150 properly equipped with Max Tow can do 10,000lbs+ safely and easily. If you're not packing 500lbs of clothes and 300lbs of fishing poles.
they may be rated to tow 10,000+ but the f150 will typically run out of payload/GVWR before they hit that towing number, especially the PB.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer
In my opinion this (https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2022/travel-trailer/imagine-xls/floorplans/17mke) is the perfect spacious layout and specs for going solo with a dog. There was a youtube couple that did a year in one towing it with a jeep SUV. The full size bathroom and huge kitchen counter space make it seem like less compromise than most small trailers.
Thats a nice layout. Get dinette instead of theater seating. Murphy bed is nice, seem same layout wit just bed instead of folding couch.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer

Yeah, thats outdated. You can equip an F150 these days that can handle way more than an F250 could 15 yrs ago.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB

no, but if you have 500lbs of people/pets, 850lbs of tongue weight, and 200lbs in truck mods, you'll run out of 1500lb payload very fast and before you put anything in the bed. :)
Sponsored