• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Out of Spec Kyle posted the edited video - not sure where the thread about the stream went, I would have posted this there if I could have found it.

Sponsored

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
This was real fun to watch live. Good to know the numbers line up great for highway speeds.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Looks like pretty close to the EPA highway rating. I haven’t watched the whole thing yet, though.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Can someone please summarize so we all don't have to click and watch!

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Reactions: GDN

heelyeah

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Bronco; 22 F150 Lightning; 21 Jeep JT (wife's)
260 miles to absolute zero (stopped wouldn't move)
Correct, but for others who won’t watch the video, he kept driving past zero, which is when it got to 260. It was about 250 or so when he hit zero, and he kept going for another 10 miles or so.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
that was a platinum, with 300 epa range, so not bad at 70 mph.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for sharing!
You were an absolute madman the last time you pulled out of the charging lot with 0% and 20% power. My wife and daughter couldn't believe you did that.

Thanks for doing the things we want to do, but don't want to do.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
That was a great one @OutofSpecKyle! Pushing the truck to the charger was truly epic! :LOL:

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Thanks for sharing!
Kyle, do you have any anecdotal stats/info you can share about your Charge from 0% after your road test? I know you said initially were seeing a 50 KWh charge rate at the beginning…just curious how the rest of the charge session went. Thx for your test!

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Correct, but for others who won’t watch the video, he kept driving past zero, which is when it got to 260. It was about 250 or so when he hit zero, and he kept going for another 10 miles or so.
So the range is 250 miles @70mph, slightly below EPA 267 miles range. Not bad.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Out of Spec Kyle posted the edited video - not sure where the thread about the stream went, I would have posted this there if I could have found it.

Ok, here is a raw, unedited transcript from YouTube using Google Translate….

0:00
this episode of out of spec reviews is brought to you by magna more on that later
0:10
hello good morning and welcome to another out of spec reviews video welcome to beautiful northern colorado
0:16
and welcome to the ford f-150 lightning that's right we are doing the 70 mile
0:22
per hour highway loop style range test that we do on every ev in our spot with
0:29
this f-150 excuse some of the combustion cars going by we're gonna see how far this thing
0:34
goes on a single charge on the highway from full to dead
0:43
so you guys know we do our range test here you've seen us hopefully do this with many evs at this point and well let
0:50
me tell you a little bit about the truck i'll tell you a little bit about our testing procedures and then of course
0:56
we're going to hit the road once it fully charges a lot of really interesting things here with f-150
1:01
lightning and keep in mind this is not a full review when we have exciting new electric cars like this we actually
1:07
break our full review into maybe 10 to 20 different pieces of content right here on this channel our out of spec
1:14
over landing channel and our out of spec motoring channel and this is one of the first tests that i always do as a nice
1:20
baseline to know what a vehicle does unladen without a trailer on a single charge and it uses it's a really great
1:27
comparison point for us throughout our testing to see what it does now onto the spec this is an f-150 lightning platinum
1:35
it's an extended range the platinum you can only get in a massive battery 131 kilowatt hour usable battery pack ford
1:42
doesn't tell us the actual gross capacity i'm guessing 140 145 i don't
1:47
know somewhere in that region would be my prediction we have a max charging rate i've seen of
1:54
about 170 kilowatts maybe 171 something like that it's got a pretty low pack
2:00
voltage dead it's about 330 volts full we're almost touching 400
2:05
and so with that relatively low pack voltage compared to maybe 430 volts nominal something like
2:12
that in a rivien r1t you need to dump a lot of current into this thing when you're fast charging it now the
2:18
nice thing about this particular truck is we actually have the max trailer tow package which adds an additional ac
2:25
compressor in the cooling loop to help cool things down and um i we're certainly going to be putting it to the
2:31
test because it's a warm week and we're going to be maxing out this truck's payload maxing out this truck's towing
2:36
capacity and the interesting thing with this particular spec that you know is an
2:42
interesting baseline i think we could say is it has these 22-inch wheels that come on the platinum and that means that
2:49
it's epa rated combined range drops from about 330 miles in the extended range
2:56
normal variance to about 300 miles uh somewhere around there these 22-inch
3:02
wheels really kill it and you know hard to say if that's the extra equipment that comes in the
3:07
platinum or the wheels or a combination my guess is a combination of everything but let's just say this is not the
3:14
longest range spec you can get on an f-150 lightning so if you're getting an xlt or a lariat or even if you're a
3:21
fleet customer and getting a pro with the big battery pack well you're certainly going to go farther probably
3:26
in the same conditions than we would today that's at least my guess the f-150 lightning only comes in one
3:32
configuration i don't need to tell you too much about the truck but i do just want to show you totally you know
3:37
unladen we have nothing in here whatsoever it is just sort of the raw shell a couple little bits and things
3:43
inside for filming my laptop a tripod nothing that's really going to affect our test massively gorgeous interior
3:50
here in the platinum although and maybe i'll talk about this in future videos this is not the trim i would personally
3:56
go for although it all looks really nice this truck only has 1500 miles on it which is
4:02
great because it's a new truck and it's fresh and we got a brand new battery to play around with battery's only three months old i also can get all the nerdy
4:09
data off of this so i'll show you all of that but i've just seen on the combustion platinum trims like all of
4:14
these seats like this is just really squishy they don't wear very well and so for me i wouldn't go platinum i would go
4:21
probably lariat extended range or if you could find one honestly a base work truck would be awesome
4:27
so let's talk uh charging really quick right now we're at a chargepoint cpe 250
4:33
charger these are notorious for only outputting 200 amps and with really low pack voltage you can see it's only
4:40
delivering 60 kilowatts to the truck interestingly whenever i've dc fast charged an f-150 lightning so far the
4:47
fans kick on the pumps kick on to try and normalize the battery pack temperature across all of the cells so
4:53
their their cooling technology seems to be a step ahead of the mustang machi and i
5:00
still have some charging stuff to figure out i did a zero to 100 dc fast charge last
5:05
night except i didn't because yeah i couldn't actually get it to charge to 100 even when i set the one
5:12
time charging limit i'll explain that here in a bit anyway i know this is kind of rambling on but the gist here is
5:19
we're going from 100 to dead in an f-150 lightning platinum at 70 miles an hour
5:24
in literally the perfect conditions so let's see how this does so let's talk testing procedures shall we well first
5:32
off i set the tire pressures just before i came over here oh a swing by discount tire and the truck recommends 42 psi
5:39
when cold that was only a mile away from the office so i would say the tires were cold we're good to go there it is warm
5:45
today though so it's about 80 degrees right now and the sun is strong not a cloud in the sky so we are gonna close
5:51
the sun shade in the truck just because this one has the glass roof to reduce the thermal load on the ac system on the
5:57
inside uh what else should i tell you we dc fast charge every vehicle to 100
6:03
state of charge before we leave on our test the reason is of course i want the batteries warm i want them at their
6:09
optimal temperature and of course we want to leave right next to the highway where they're dc fast chargers so we're
6:15
doing that here interestingly if you roll up to any dc fast charger in an f-150 lightning on today's software it
6:22
will literally only charge to 90 and then cut off what i have done is set a one-time max charging limit to 100
6:30
and i'm hoping that will allow the dc charger to go all the way up although i have heard sort of unconfirmed rumors
6:36
that you may not be able to fully charge this on a dc charger we're going to find out here in just a few minutes i am sure
6:43
other testing procedures we run 70 miles an hour gps constant and so that's actually going to be driven at 69 miles
6:50
an hour in the truck because the speedo is off by one so you'll see the whole day today driven at 69. we do use driver
6:57
assistance systems this one does have hands-free blue crews and there are sections of the road today where we can
7:02
be hands-free specifically up i-80 uh going from cheyenne east into nebraska
7:08
so that'll be really cool and of course we always do our same route which i just alluded to from here in where are we
7:14
wellington colorado up to cheyenne over towards nebraska and around right now no
7:20
wind perfect conditions however i have been checking the wind maps they're gonna increase maybe five or eight miles
7:26
an hour at the most today but the nice thing is it's in the exact direction that we're driving so we can counteract
7:32
that with our loop style test we also do a loop style test to counteract any elevation and you know this isn't
7:38
scientific testing it's as close as we can get in the real world um but it's a great a great idea to say okay well in
7:45
these conditions the truck went this far of course i'll be running the other versions of f-150 from standard battery
7:51
pack to the different wheels that come on xlt and lariat and we got a lot of
7:56
f-150 lightning stories coming for you some insane stuff i can't wait to show you what we're doing you guys know i
8:02
just got my rivian so we're going to be doing a lot of f-150 versus rivian but we need to really benchmark this truck
8:08
first in our tests before we do the real fun stuff this episode is proudly brought to you by magna magna is a
8:14
mobility technology company that is super unique because they touch every
8:19
aspect of almost every car on the market especially a lot of electric vehicles
8:24
and they even can produce vehicles from the ground up now you may remember i shot a series just recently testing some
8:31
of their new electric vehicle powertrains so stay tuned for a lot of magna content to come we're going to be
8:37
going in depth with some really interesting topics with these guys and out of spec wants to thank magna for
8:44
sponsoring this review and tons of other videos to come right here on out of spec
8:50
we look forward to working with magna to define and find out what the future of mobility looks like
8:59
well you join us at the charger charging up we are now at 95 state of charge
9:04
we've been here for a while it's almost 11 a.m it says we have roughly 30 or 40 minutes left to go and what i wanted to
9:11
show you was this right here this is the car scanner app hooked up to a wireless obd into the obd connection just down
9:19
over here there you go and let's take a look at the data that we're going to be looking at so the first on
9:25
the top left is the high voltage battery total state of charge i believe this accounts for buffers so we're at 90
9:33
capacity of the total uh battery pack capacity essentially we're at 95.5
9:39
percent of the battery pack capacity with buffers so this is usable so we're basically yeah at 95 usable energy to
9:46
empty is a total guesstimation by the bms right now 123 kilowatt hours that could be off that could be on my guess
9:53
it's probably slightly off because ford claims again 131 usable when new and so
9:59
we just have some people coming over to look at the lightning but i'll finish this clip and answer it we're at 392
10:04
volts but again this is charging volts so it's probably a little bit higher than it would be at the moment
10:10
uh if we were unplugged so i don't think we'll actually see 400 volt when full we have about 10 kilowatts going into the
10:16
battery pack so that's the charging speed 9.6 at 96 percent uh what's
10:22
interesting is it actually drops below 20 kilowatts at 90 percent so if you have an 80 amp charging station for
10:28
example uh it will literally make no difference level 2 or dc fast charging from 90 to 100
10:34
uh charging power limit i don't really know what this is 143 kilowatts i can't figure out where that number is being
10:40
calculated maybe you guys know but it definitely wouldn't do 143 right now and so uh ev charging power that's what's
10:47
coming into the car through the port that guy is super cool he's looking at the truck he's giving us thumbs up um
10:53
high voltage battery voltage uh yeah same thing is here just a duplicate here's our battery pack temperatures 33
11:00
degrees c right in the middle that's what we want that's perfect temperatures for our test no active cooling going on
11:06
in the battery pack right now the truck's happy with it 35 degrees c is probably just ambient from the hot
11:12
pavement being cycled through the battery pack um there you go and the battery pack is only three months old
11:17
this is the amperage to the ac compressor which we know is not going to the battery pack it's going to the cabin
11:24
so nerd data for you there you go we're going to go all the way till it completes at 100 we're going to get
11:29
everything in eco mode i'll show you how we'll set it up then we're going to head out and hit the road we're doing a live
11:34
stream as well so if you happen to catch that live on out of spec motoring here's a little live stream inception for you
11:41
uh with our main video so we'll give it another 30 minutes and we should be good to go this is interesting we were
11:47
charging up at 97 about to hit 98 and then it just went to fully charged so
11:52
i've shut off all accessories i'm actually going to shut off the truck all together so we don't lose anything i'm
11:57
going to try to just reconnect it but there's two possible explanations here the first is
12:03
let's take a look at our stats here we added 50 kilowatt hours it was 30 dollars and let's see
12:11
we were here for not since 9 38 to 10 13 a.m that doesn't
12:18
make sense we're here longer than that oh yeah 9 38 to 11 17 a.m okay so what
12:24
i'm going to do is try to reconnect two possible explanations here the first is the bms may not be totally calibrated on
12:30
this this is a review truck it was on the first drive i believe it's been full charge it's been moved all around it
12:36
hasn't really seen the bottom end of the battery pack much and so it may not be totally calibrated braided
12:43
it may have just hit top pack voltage on one of the bricks so what i'm doing is just letting it sit for a minute or two
12:48
with no accessory load on maybe bleed some of the individual packs over the uh the modules in the battery pack and
12:54
we'll see if we can pull it up a little bit more get some more energy into it if not then we're just going to leave and go on our range test so
13:01
yeah we'll give it a minute or two and then i'll plug it back in see if we can stuff more energy it looks like we have just a little bit of bms confusion here
13:08
in the truck i have it powered off but 99.5 state of charge is all we can get it to interesting 125 kilowatt hour uh
13:16
usable capacity left to empty is what it's guessing maybe we can actually go below that in a hidden buffer there's
13:23
potentially maybe a five kilowatt hour hidden buffer that we can go beyond this number might be referencing the state of
13:30
charge display instead of the actual when the high voltage battery will cut off that's the only way that'll make
13:35
sense to me so let's get this unplugged because it won't we can't get any more juice in it even with the one time charge limit set
13:42
i'll get the live stream guys set up on the right tripod we're going to hit unlock and it's time
13:47
to finally head out on the range test hell yeah can't wait i have no idea what to expect almost
13:54
perfect conditions we got the sunroof shade closed i'll go through the settings and then we'll hit the road and
14:00
thanks to some viewers for stopping by that really appreciate them coming to check out the truck actually quite a few
14:06
people came over today to look at it which is amazing 320 miles of range projected that's after resetting the
14:13
ev driving history let's get everything set the way we want it so truck on we gotta reset our trip
14:19
computer right away come on trip trip one hold to reset boom
14:24
great air conditioning auto one air conditioning on we're gonna go make sure
14:29
we're on the driver focus mode we are what else we got to do make sure we're in normal mode
14:36
we are headlights auto they're not going to run anyway shifter up
14:42
temperatures looking good 33 34 degrees ish
14:47
battery temp in the middle on the display motor temps look good let's go do this thing
14:53
heading out range test baby i'll update you along the drive
15:00
so here we are pulling out of the fueling station and charging station we have 320 miles of predicted range on the
15:07
screen everything is looking great normal mode on the display we're actually going to merge up onto the highway of course all
15:14
of our merging is going to be done gently we don't want to have too much heat loss of course from pulling too much current
15:20
and yeah so amazing i'm really curious to see how this truck does i have no
15:25
idea what to expect no tinted windows so the ac is gonna have to work a little bit today being warm i think it might
15:31
actually be 88 degrees outside after stepping out there it is toasty um even though i have a almost full charge it's
15:38
still regening quite a bit and then it also blends friction brakes in one pedal drive mode almost no distinction at high
15:44
state of charge in one pedal drive between uh you know sort of a full charge or not full charge battery pack
15:51
feels pretty good we're gonna merge up onto the highway we're going to hit 70 miles an hour by the end of that on-ramp as we do in
15:58
every test and then we're going to set the cruise control at 69 miles per hour because
16:03
that is a 70 mile per hour accurate speed according to everything we have here our driving settings one pedal
16:09
drive on won't make a difference two permanent magnet motors in this particular truck with no clutch disconnect uh which means both motors
16:16
are engaged all the time not necessarily the best uh strategy for efficiency but with such a big battery pack and such a
16:23
big truck it's actually probably the correct decision also considering ford products will get run hard and to high mileage
16:30
even with a clutch disconnect and reconnect that is a wear component over time so i think they took the right
16:36
approach just having them two motors connected all the time and uh basically the same motor but a
16:42
slightly different gear ratio where the rear axle has a little bit of a low end grunt front motor can be prioritized on
16:48
the highway but you can't shut you can't really shut any of them off like you could with an induction motor all the
16:54
harley's going by let's get up to 69 miles an hour
17:00
and there we go 68 69 right at the end of the on-ramp perfect locking in the
17:06
adaptive cruise control blue cruise might become available there it is hands-free and i'll update you as
17:13
to how this thing goes along the drive but this is a cruiser such a quiet cabin
17:19
comfortable suspension and with blue crews hands-free driver assistance you can do eye
17:25
tracking with this sensor and that sensor so it knows when you're looking at the road and you actually don't even
17:30
have to touch the steering wheel according to ford and so you know i'm here just to cover it
17:36
but uh cruising along nicely and looking forward to seeing how this does in our test i have no idea what to
17:42
expect but it's definitely predicting over epa even with the 22-inch wheels on
17:48
this truck well you join us at 79 percent state of charge with 245 miles
17:54
of projected range actually slightly windy out uh we have a slight tailwind
17:59
right now as we head west we're also in a construction zone which isn't great so what is going on here uh thankfully i
18:05
don't think these construction zones last too long and according to the other side we should be good and free so
18:11
1.9 miles per kilowatt hour so far 47 minutes 35 seconds into the test we've
18:17
driven about 50 miles and we have uh well over 75 percent state of charge 79
18:23
right now so let's get out of this construction zone get it back up to 70 and uh we'll try and turn around
18:29
probably around maybe 58 to 60 state of charge just because we're gonna have a
18:36
little bit of a headwind coming back but man this is a lot longer of a construction zone that i would like and
18:42
it is something we do need to factor into the results for sure we're doing about 50 miles an hour maybe i'll bump
18:48
it up to maybe 71 or 72 miles an hour just to try and compensate a little bit
18:54
on the return but this is real world testing and now we're doing something i really hate to do because it's not
19:00
accurate we had about i don't know a couple miles of that roughly 50 mile an hour zone so for just a few minutes to
19:07
try and compensate i'm going 77 miles an hour gps just to try to
19:13
uh make up for a difference it's not extremely accurate with this range test will need an asterisk just because of
19:19
that but i think it should be at least doable manageable and let's hope let's
19:25
hope that works so i don't know if you guys can see this right here but our battery temperatures have gone just a
19:30
tick over center and our battery pack temperature maximum is 35 degrees c so
19:36
it seems to me that around 22 degrees c it was just a tick to the left so
19:41
anywhere between 22 23 and 35 degrees celsius on your battery pack temperature
19:47
is normal you know right in the center that's the range where the gauge doesn't move as soon as something hits 35
19:54
degrees celsius in the battery pack it goes a tick to the right still well within normal operational range but
20:00
something to be aware of as we start to figure out what these gauges mean well some tense moments now we're at 56 state
20:07
of charge which is right about where i want to turn around and go i don't think we're too far from the next exit but if
20:13
you take a look we're on this sort of single lane uh two-way traffic here so
20:18
let's hope the exit is not blocked because it's another seven or eight miles to the exit after which of course
20:24
we have to go round trip and we kind of need this five percent to make it back through the headwind so we're going to
20:30
be cutting it close here fingers crossed it all works out well but uh i guess we'll have to find out we're still
20:36
maintaining pretty good speed pretty much 70 miles an hour through here so it's all to the testing procedures but
20:43
uh we really need to get off the next exit asap as possible
20:48
and we are approaching our turnaround point i actually wanted it to be the previous exit but it was closed so we're
20:54
getting a little tight here 53 which means we don't actually have a crazy amount of buffer to get through
21:00
that headwind but we're gonna keep doing it we were actually able to manage uh 70 miles an hour the whole way even on the
21:07
single lane so that worked out great you can see those trucks were going right about the same speed just kicking it off
21:12
of 70 miles an hour here not going to try and regen too hard we'll just coast our way to a stop and then gently merge
21:19
back onto the highway around now to make a couple comments about the f-150 the driver assistance is really good
21:26
i've actually not been using blue crews right now just because i had the dinging uh it
21:31
sometimes doesn't track my eyes so well uh so i haven't been using blue crews for this trip but we'll have a whole
21:37
in-depth video on it coming very soon the cabin noise levels are impressively
21:43
low and the ride comfort for being a truck is uh really good i'm really
21:48
curious to see how this feels fully loaded with a trailer i actually think it might be a little floaty on the front
21:54
axle if we have too heavy of a trailer so we need to be really mindful of tongue weights on this thing uh so now
21:59
we're just going to loop around try and carry a little bit of speed through here onto the highway so
22:06
ripping it through and off we go gentle accelerations back to 70 miles an hour
22:12
and we head back to wellington colorado on the loop oops gotta kick the live
22:17
stream back on come on and if you're curious how the whole test wet you when you can of course watch the full live
22:23
stream let's duck in right behind this truck and off we go to wellington we
22:28
have reached 50 state of charge it just dipped to 49. we have traveled
22:34
134.4 miles in just about two hours two miles per kilowatt hour i'm going just a
22:40
tad over 70 right now just to try and compensate we ran a little bit under 70
22:45
during that construction zone so for about two or three minutes i'm just going over this isn't the best
22:50
scientific range test we've ever done it's not the perfect driving conditions and uh it's quite warm outside 91
22:57
degrees so take it as a baseline test for f-150 lightning but still you know within reason of what you can expect in
23:04
the real world at 70 miles an hour is what we try to get to truck is expecting 142 miles of range
23:11
remaining uh which is great because we'll need most of that to get back to where we're going and not all of it of
23:17
course so i think we should be just fine but i'm expecting that two miles per kilowatt hour perhaps we'll drop down to
23:23
1918 with this headwind we'll see with a car or truck i should say with such a
23:28
huge aero profile as this wind really will affect it but we'll see what happens in our
23:34
test and we have reached 25 state of charge cruising along much better on the
23:40
return no obstructions just 70 miles an hour i think we've had a total of le well under 10 minutes of under 70 miles
23:46
an hour and of course i've cranked it a bit again i wish it was a little bit more scientific but this is real world
23:53
testing uh close enough closer than i think any other outlet's gonna get uh so
23:58
25 state of charge 66 miles projected range we've driven 195 so far two miles
24:05
per kilowatt hour we're rolling up on that three hour mark so this thing is just cruising and cruising and cruising
24:11
so silent so comfortable i wish i could run the massaging seats but it's not to our
24:17
standard testing procedure but the seats are pretty comfortable and we're gonna make it back to the charger
24:22
i think with just a couple percent but no problem at all the epa highway range for this truck is about 260 ish mile
24:31
something like that and i think we're right on track to hit the epa highway number which would be awesome so let's
24:38
see how this thing does as we come in towards the final stages and we got our first warning driving range low at 50
24:45
miles this is actually user selectable you can choose i think 50 30 or 20 or
24:50
maybe 15 miles for this warning to pop up what it does is it leaves your battery capacity in yellow and tells you
24:57
50 miles of range we also happen to be at 19 state of charge and 49 miles of
25:04
predicted range remaining we've traveled 208.1 miles we've been in the car for
25:09
just over three hours really good conditions very impressed even with these winds actually of how
25:17
accurate this estimated range figure has been throughout this drive even
25:22
considering this wind difference and so we'll see how this all plays out but really um it's it's possible that
25:29
tailwind on the way out wasn't that much of a helpful benefit because it doesn't seem like we're getting that hammered by
25:35
the headwind on the way back in and you can see the flags right here pointed straight at us we got a dead-on
25:41
straight headwind so let's see how this all plays out and you join us on i-25 where we have 27 miles of predicted
25:48
range and 28 miles to our destination uh we turned around just in time and
25:53
possibly a little bit too late now no question i can get the truck to the charging station without issue i would
26:00
just slow down a little bit however this is a 70 mile an hour test i don't want to come off 69 miles an hour there we go
26:06
sorry i was at 68 by accident for a half a second and um you know don't want to come off this
26:11
speed so what i think we're going to do is just keep driving and you can see that the battery state of charge is a
26:18
couple percent higher than what's shown and i'm just hoping that a we lose a little bit of elevation which should
26:24
help and b uh you know that we can actually go a little bit past zero if not
26:31
well that's okay we'll just uh we'll know exactly how far it goes at 70 at that point so no question we're not coming off 70
26:37
miles an hour unless it seems like a dire situation but we're just going to keep it cruising we'll see if we even
26:43
make it this is closer than we've ever made it on a range test normally i loop
26:49
around close to the charger i don't think there's going to be any of that today driving range is low no problem
26:55
we're going to keep this thing going no this is how you know it's a proper range test chargers are unreachable the
27:01
nearest charger is out of range plan to find a power outlet where you can charge how about we got one option and that's
27:08
where we're headed and this truck let's hope it can make it we are now down to eight percent state of charge with 20
27:14
miles predicted let's hope we can make it to our destination and you can see we just started to get a power limitation
27:21
uh that's this 90 right there so ford is really transparent about how much total
27:26
available power is able to be pulled out of the battery pack given different circumstances and i'm really pleased
27:32
with that i really like knowing what's going on i had it down to one percent yesterday because i was doing some
27:37
charge testing and it was still giving me 50 power at one percent so this is not a pole star volvo situation here
27:44
this thing still gives us great power great acceleration all the way down to the point of it just about running out
27:51
of juice so fingers crossed we can make it i'll let you know how this works well we are
27:56
just arriving into wellington around this corner as our exit we've made it with one percent state of charge right
28:02
now we've averaged two miles per kilowatt hour of course because we turned left to
28:07
go down south we had a crosswind instead of the headwind and uh we're pulling off the highway
28:13
here in just a moment we've driven almost four hours at 70 miles an hour so
28:19
you know the range is good and keep in mind this is the big 22 inch wheel version with all the options so it only
28:26
gets better from here with the big battery pack so i'm going to kick it off of 70 miles an hour right
28:33
now at 249.5 miles we'll call it so let's just say
28:38
250 miles at 70 miles an hour very impressive we're at one and a half
28:43
percent state of charge the truck is throwing about five percent state of charge uh left in sort of this hidden
28:50
buffer what i'm not sure is if that's usable or not or if the truck will shut off my guess is that's usable hidden
28:56
buffer and of course i intend to use up that buffer but what i'm going to do to make sure
29:02
is we're going to burn off this one and a half percent and it kind of close to the chargers just in case we do have to
29:08
push it and it pulls off if it lets me go below zero here and eat into this number
29:13
then that is exactly when we're just gonna run that all the way out to um zero which can get a little risky i
29:20
don't recommend you guys doing this in the real world but we've definitely made it here again 250 miles at 70 miles an
29:27
hour climate control on the whole time we we had a a dip under 70 miles an hour
29:32
of about five minutes and then another dip that was really close to 70 but not
29:38
quite but i also counteracted with a little bit of a faster speed but it's not a hundred percent overall good
29:44
weather conditions good test um and so you know still 75 total power available
29:50
at one and a half percent very very impressive powertrain calibration and
29:55
that leads to confidence while towing at low states of charge because um you know that could get real shady if you have a
30:01
big trailer on you're down to one percent which you're going to need all the range you can you need the juice to pull it and this for sure has the juice
30:09
to pull it so let's just keep driving on my little side roads around here and we'll go until it runs uh completely out
30:16
but essentially we uh we just need to see if we can burn off that that
30:21
into this uh hidden buffer below man what a truck what a cruiser what an
30:26
experience absolutely um thrilled with how comfortable and quiet it is in terms
30:32
of range my guess is you'd get 200 270 miles probably in the little wheel
30:39
version in the same exact test so that's not bad especially considering that the epa range for this car at 70
30:46
miles an hour or i shouldn't say at 70 but the epa highway range which is a different drive cycle than we do
30:52
is is about 264 miles i believe the numbers out there somewhere but it's right in this region so it's doing
30:59
pretty much what they said it would do on the tin we have achieved zero percent state of charge what we're gonna do is
31:06
see if we can dig into that buffer so hopefully by the time we get back to the station my guess is we will i'm also
31:13
doing a live stream some of the guys with maki's have chimed in they'll say hey you got to pull over safely uh it
31:19
might cut off the air conditioning at that point but i think we're still going to try and use up that that four percent
31:25
if we're able to then we'll plug it in and juice it back up i highly recommend if you're ever this low in an ev to not
31:31
let it sit uh you know really plug it in as soon as possible but look we're still maintaining good speed here 55 miles an
31:38
hour and man one mile of projected range remaining still 65 total power output at
31:45
zero percent in a hundred degree weather with the ac on uh we always run climate
31:51
control for our test it's it's this is impressive to me if the temperature was
31:56
30 degrees cooler we would have still been cruising on the highway i bet by a little bit depleted battery stopped
32:02
safely now and it's dinging at me but we still have juice so here we are
32:08
zero percent indicated but we're still eating into this buffer so i think we're good i think we'll just keep going
32:16
and we're doing 60 miles so let's get this negative energy out of here we don't need anyone telling us to
32:22
stop we're gonna run this thing out to true zero to get the full range test number
32:27
for you guys as we always do and the climate control just shut off right here
32:33
uh but we're still going so we're at 45 power available still seems like plenty
32:38
of life left in it we still have 3.3 percent state of charge i assume usable
32:44
at this point maybe uh that assumption will leave us stranded maybe it won't but we'll just keep
32:50
running up and down this road until we use every single little drop the f-150
32:56
has 30 power available now and but still no indication of turtle mode or anything
33:02
like that i'll keep you updated battery temperatures warm 40 degrees celsius but that's just because it's a hundred
33:08
degrees outside teetering between 99 and 100 and i think the live stream is enjoying
33:14
this so let's see what we come in at for the final tallied number
33:19
so far we have traveled 258.3 miles we have a 20 power cut right now and 2.23
33:28
remaining of that hidden buffer again we're really relying on that bms data right now to keep us from completely
33:34
running out the big problem with that is is i don't really think the bms is that calibrated so it is very possible we can
33:42
run out anytime any moment uh thankfully you can see we're kind of in the middle of nowhere it's not the end of the world
33:48
we're off the highway and you know that that would be kind of interesting but i'm taking it a little bit easier
33:54
climate control shut itself off of course and i'd really like to see this below two percent uh state of charge so i
34:01
think what we're gonna do is just go right up here to this little bridge turn around we'll loop around there and then
34:07
we'll head back to the charger and maybe keep driving i don't know we'll
34:12
see go until it feels like it's about okay it has completely died so no power at all just a tiny tiny bit
34:20
we're going 18 miles an hour this is all she's going and i the charger is in sight so hazards
34:27
on oh i just need another couple hundred feet come on
34:32
enough another couple hundred feet seriously that's all i need
34:38
oh my goodness this is the first time it's gotten this
34:43
low i'm gonna do a stop and then restart situation
34:49
let's see what happens so it's completely dying at the entrance to the charger people have plenty of room to get around
34:55
us and it's it's out right here okay so vehicle shut off depleted
35:01
battery so let's go off we're literally at the charger entrance
35:07
i can see it let's go on
35:13
okay so two kilowatt hours left i'm guessing it doesn't let you do more than two kilowatt hours
35:18
and it won't let me put it in drive okay i'm gonna let it sit for a minute shut it off lock it restart and then
35:25
we'll see if we can do this thing anthony can't thank you enough sir
35:32
viewer of the live stream came in to help me out to push this thing
35:37
we just got to get it into the parking lot so
35:42
out of breath thanks anthony thank you for driving thanks to the cop for helping us push
35:54
well that's a way to end a range test isn't it and we made it and we're charging at 50 kilowatts
36:02
never had a range test like that before thanks guys it was awesome and we got it charging
36:08
all good juice it up one mile of range about 50 kilowatt charging
36:13
still isn't letting me turn ac on or anything but what a awesome time and here are the
36:19
stats from the trip 260 miles pretty much on the nose uh about four hours in
36:25
a bit i've been charging and uh just about to finish editing the video actually two miles per kilowatt hour i
36:30
gotta say for being the heaviest f-150 for having the most equipment with these
36:36
wheels really not bad so for all you fleet customers with the pro and the big battery pack your xlt or lariat extended
36:42
range f-150s figure another 10 or 20 miles at least according to the referenced epa data on top of that i got
36:50
to say 270 280 miles out of a single charge in a vehicle that is
36:55
significantly larger than the rivien which did about 289 miles it's right in the same ballpark and um for being again
37:03
the least range spec here with the big battery that was good i'm looking forward to testing the standard battery
37:08
into the future but i would say that's impressive range for the size of this truck and for the usability capability
37:15
impressive powertrain management and a huge thanks a massive thanks to anthony
37:21
and his family for leaving their daily lives to come out literally within five minutes of me running out and helping me
37:28
push this into the charger just absolutely legendary people a legendary range test the first time we've ever run
37:35
out but i was trying to squeeze everything out for the f-150 lightning and we got that 260.1 final number 70
37:41
mile an hour highway range test now we know how far you can drive past zero again the battery state of health in
37:48
this truck was 100 so don't be trying this if you have an f-150 lightning with uh degraded health as they age over time
37:55
because we don't know how much of that buffer you'll be able to use it seems to keep two kilowatt hours at the bottom as
38:00
the hard cut off buffer hey thanks for watching another out of spec reviews video plenty of lightning content to
38:06
come over the next few weeks we'll see you on the next one bye-bye

OnTheGround

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Santa Fe, Honda Accord
Hit zero range at about 250 miles with about 5 kWh in the battery. HVAC Cut off but he kept driving to about 260 miles, slowly losing power. At about 2 kWh in the battery the truck stopped. He put it in park, turned it off, turned it back on, and it wouldn’t even shift out of Park.
Sponsored