• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk Creek and other problems

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Some of our members have reported various Frunk failure messages, and one member even had the Frunk literally open unexpectedly while driving.

I've had three problems with my Frunk.

1. Sometimes it doesn't open when I hit the button under the hood. When this happens, unlocking the whole truck seems to re-enable the button.

2. Sometimes the button on the hood won't close it. When this happens, I end up using the key fob.

3. Today, my frunk made a pretty loud crrreeek sound when I closed it. It was the kind of sound you'd expect from a horror movie when they open Dracula's coffin.

There was nothing in the Frunk at all, and definitely nothing in the path. Right after that, I re-opened it to confirm that there wasn't anything there and re-closed it. Crrrreeeek again.

The Frunk is clearly one of the best things about the Lightning, but it's also one of the things that are likely to need some tweaking.
Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Some of our members have reported various Frunk failure messages, and one member even had the Frunk literally open unexpectedly while driving.

1. Sometimes it doesn't open when I hit the button under the hood. When this happens, unlocking the whole truck seems to re-enable the button.

2. Sometimes the button on the hood won't close it. When this happens, I end up using the key fob.

3. Today, my frunk made a pretty loud crrreeek sound when I closed it. It was the kind of sound you'd expect from a horror movie when they open Dracula's coffin.

There was nothing in the Frunk at all, and definitely nothing in the path. Right after that, I re-opened it to confirm that there wasn't anything there and re-closed it. Crrrreeeek again.

The Frunk is clearly one of the best things about the Lightning, but it's also one of the things that are likely to need some tweaking.
Some thoughts based on my experience:

1. & 2. My Frunk will behave like this if I leave my truck alone for a while and it enters ā€œsleepā€ status. same behavior with the tailgate. Pushing the Frunk (tailgate) button a second time causes the Frunk (tailgate) to activate. As with some others, I have experienced my Frunk ā€œfrozenā€ in the open position after leaving it that way for a couple hoursā€¦the truck ā€œforgotā€œ the position when the truck went into ā€œdeep sleepā€. Manually closing the Frunk caused it to latch and return to normal operation.

As for your item #3, I have experienced this issueā€¦.mine just pops loudly upon openingā€¦ā€¦ā€¦šŸ˜Ž

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Donā€™t fix it before Halloween. That hunted frunk sound can come in handy.

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk Creek and other problems 1663542306406

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I have experienced item #2. I havenā€™t spent time testing it but it seems to happen when I used the FOB to open it. I think when it happened the cabin was locked. Perhaps Ford doesnā€™t have it figured out how to identify the frunk open / closed and allow the button to work when itā€™s open

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I have experienced item #2. I havenā€™t spent time testing it but it seems to happen when I used the FOB to open it. I think when it happened the cabin was locked. Perhaps Ford doesnā€™t have it figured out how to identify the frunk open / closed and allow the button to work when itā€™s open
The funny thing is I never had that problem with the Mach-E, but then again, I didn't use the Frunk as much with the Mach-E.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hello! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this frunk concern for you? Thank you!

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I'm seeing major issues with my frunk. It'll latch closed maybe 50% of the time. It either pops and then doesn't actually go up. A second click fixes this.

The big issues is closing though. I've had numerous times now where it won't close and requires a few attempts. Today at the grocery store I was stuck there for 15 minutes in a panic trying to get the thing to latch. I have zero faith in the frunk right now and won't use it until after I get it checked out. I'm assuming it's an alignment issue.

The frunk is a massive selling point, but it's obvious it wasn't Built For Tough as Ford likes to say.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I'm seeing major issues with my frunk. It'll latch closed maybe 50% of the time. It either pops and then doesn't actually go up. A second click fixes this.

The big issues is closing though. I've had numerous times now where it won't close and requires a few attempts. Today at the grocery store I was stuck there for 15 minutes in a panic trying to get the thing to latch. I have zero faith in the frunk right now and won't use it until after I get it checked out. I'm assuming it's an alignment issue.

The frunk is a massive selling point, but it's obvious it wasn't Built For Tough as Ford likes to say.
It's definitely one of the biggest selling points. Theoretically, it shouldn't be any different from the reliability of a rear hatchback, but time will tell if they need to tweak it a bit. If they find a pattern, I'm sure they'll do some sort of recall, but since there's only a handful of us on the road, it will take a while before they find a pattern.

Thankfully, Ford listens to us directly and via forums like this, so I'm sure it won't take long until we can fully use and show off our frunks. Just about every person I see asks to see the frunk. It's clearly the best.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? Iā€™d like to look into this concern on my end.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
I've had the same issue with #2, the frunk when closing using the button on the hood, even with multiple attempts. The key fob seems to work when that happens.

Sponsored

hihosilver

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat - SR - Oxford White - MaxTow
So my frunk opens about 50 % of the time. It will do the initial release and then bounce a bit but not open. I have to push it closed and then repeat the opening and it will usually go after that. Also has anybody else noticed the rough looking plastic on the under side of the frunk closest to the grill area? It looks like its been left in a salt water bath for a month! My detailer tried to clean it up with no success.

halo36

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Glad to know I am not the only one seeing an issue. Mine is relatively minor, but my cab button works every time (even though I rarely use it), my key fob works every time, and the button in the frunk rarely works (maybe 30% of the time). Obviously it is only used for closing it, but that is the most convenient way to close it and it doesn't work more times than not. It has an icon next to it that looks like an owners manual icon, leading me to believe that this was meant to be configurable, however I can't find anything that would allow me to configure it. There is also no rhyme or reason as to when it will work or won't (I have tried it with doors locked, unlocked, etc.), so it leads me to believe it is another issue.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Glad to know I am not the only one seeing an issue. Mine is relatively minor, but my cab button works every time (even though I rarely use it), my key fob works every time, and the button in the frunk rarely works (maybe 30% of the time). Obviously it is only used for closing it, but that is the most convenient way to close it and it doesn't work more times than not. It has an icon next to it that looks like an owners manual icon, leading me to believe that this was meant to be configurable, however I can't find anything that would allow me to configure it. There is also no rhyme or reason as to when it will work or won't (I have tried it with doors locked, unlocked, etc.), so it leads me to believe it is another issue.
It seems like a non-responsive button is the most common issue, and the most likely reason is that the software that listens for that button essentially goes to sleep, but since the fob and the in-cabin buttons always work 100%, those methods never go to sleep.

It does seem odd that a physical button wouldn't work 100% of the time, yet the fob always works.

My theory is that perhaps when the frunk opens, the proximity sensor that detects the fob is in the (now open) hood, so after a short time it turns off the button for security reasons, and since it's raised, the proximity sensor can't detect the fob, but the button of the fob can reach a longer distance so that's the only way to close it.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So my frunk opens about 50 % of the time. It will do the initial release and then bounce a bit but not open. I have to push it closed and then repeat the opening and it will usually go after that. Also has anybody else noticed the rough looking plastic on the under side of the frunk closest to the grill area? It looks like its been left in a salt water bath for a month! My detailer tried to clean it up with no success.
Hello, Len! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. Iā€™d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this frunk concern. Thanks!

Chezwick619

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lightning
Occupation
Landscape Contractor
Same problem as number 11. No matter which button I use the frunk will pop open and not go any farther. I need to hit the button a second time to get it to release. The hood actuators already broke. I ordered new ones from Ford will be here next week. Poor design. This morning my hood popped, the latch didnā€™t let go and it wouldnā€™t relatch. I had to use the emergency red pull string under the dash to get it open. Definitely some kinks with the frunk Ford needs to work out.
Sponsored