• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Hopefully this isn’t turning into a trend. My Mega power frunk™️ has acted up a couple times now with it either failing to open or close. It will only give 4 long beeps with a message on the binnacle saying “frunk malfunction see manual”. I’ve made a service appointment but it’s not for a couple weeks. Of the 3 times this has occurred leaving it alone for a while seemed to self correct. Today while unloading it, I press the button and it gives the 4 long beeps again. Following the manual, I gently manually close it to allow it to latch shut only this time it will not fully close and is stuck on the secondary latch and will not respond to any button press. I attempted to use the “emergency release with no success. I’m now stuck at work as I can’t drive the truck with the Frunk not fully closed. Dealership is trying to figure it out but no success yet. If I can’t get it to latch I’m going to have it Towed. I know it’s a long shot but anyone out there have any experience with this?

*sorry for the long post
Sponsored

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
Bummer. No experience with this but every time I open the frunk I wonder if it will open. It’s not a smooth process after pressing the button.

Have you tried messing with the emergency lever? Maybe that’s preventing it from closing.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bummer. No experience with this but every time I open the frunk I wonder if it will open. It’s not a smooth process after pressing the button.

Have you tried messing with the emergency lever? Maybe that’s preventing it from closing.
yes, I read the manual on troubleshooting including the emergency release and no luck.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reboot the Truck. Y unplugging the 12v battery for 1 minute. Always remember "if all else fails reboot"
Trust me. I’ve thought about it but one problem. The frunk will not open OR close so I can’t access the 12v battery. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
There's a reset in the screen but I think it only resets user preferences, but I would try that.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have you tried Manually to close the frunk.
Yes and it worked the last couple times it failed. This time it captured the secondary latch but will not engage the main latch and the buttons nor the emergency release will release the secondary latch. Now I can’t get it open or closed.

Sponsored

AT193

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning - Lariat SR - Antimatter Blue
I do see that there is a "FRUNK MODULE" fuse in the fuse box inside the cab. Its a long shot, but maybe that is fried?

Page 432 & 433 of the manual.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do see that there is a "FRUNK MODULE" fuse in the fuse box inside the cab. Its a long shot, but maybe that is fried?

Page 432 & 433 of the manual.
Didn’t think of that. Thanks! I’ll check it and report back

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Grab a friend and give this a try.

Person 1 apply slight upward pressure on the frunk. Person 2, pull the manual release tab. That should release the latch and move it out of the latch lock. If it doesn’t, you have a messed up latch, either a cable that’s caught or a bad latch mechanism.

If it works, you likely have an alignment issue. If it’s not an alignment issue, then I’d guess the struts, but they don’t usually fail after light usage.

The power module itself sounds like it’s functional. I’ve installed a bunch of power modules to Tesla frunks and usually when I get an issue like this it’s because of the damn cable getting caught up. Due to installer (me) error. Either from routing or not adjusting it tight enough during installation.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grab a friend and give this a try.

Person 1 apply slight upward pressure on the frunk. Person 2, pull the manual release tab. That should release the latch and move it out of the latch lock. If it doesn’t, you have a messed up latch, either a cable that’s caught or a bad latch mechanism.

If it works, you likely have an alignment issue. If it’s not an alignment issue, then I’d guess the struts, but they don’t usually fail after light usage.

The power module itself sounds like it’s functional. I’ve installed a bunch of power modules to Tesla frunks and usually when I get an issue like this it’s because of the damn cable getting caught up. Due to installer (me) error. Either from routing or not adjusting it tight enough during installation.
I’m out on a call at the moment. I’ll give it a try when I get back to the station thanks!

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I would not reset your options, but I would try to reboot the center stack. Many commands go through there.

From page 515 of the manual:

You can reboot the center display using the controls on the steering wheel.
1. Simultaneously press and hold the seek forward and audio system power button for 10 seconds.
Sponsored