• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Or maybe to have a cable so I can manually release the Frunk.
There is a manual release inside where the hood release usually is. (P. 334 Owner's Manual) Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have been able to free the latch for the OP.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
UPDATE!!
Hey all. So I got my truck back from the Dealer yesterday, here’s the skinny…
Ford had An engineer came to the dealership with parts to get the Frunk going again. Both struts and the locking assembly were replace as well as a hood realignment. On initial inspection I was told that water intrusion in the components as well as a hood misalignment were the source of the failure. The engineer has taken all the effected parts back to the mothership for analysis and to expect a recall/update once a fix is found. I was also advised to avoid any pressurized water ( pressure washer/drive thru car washes) around the hood area until a fix can be sent out to all vehicles.

Additionally
I was advised that if the frunk gives the “4 beeps of failure” press the frunk closure button, once it starts beeping give gentle pressure on the hood and it should close and latch.

Thank you all again for your input to get me out of my pickle and thank you @fordmotorcompany for quickly handling my issue

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
UPDATE!!
Ford had An engineer came to the dealership with parts to get the Frunk going again. Both struts and the locking assembly were replace as well as a hood realignment. On initial inspection I was told that water intrusion in the components as well as a hood misalignment were the source of the failure. The engineer has taken all the effected parts back to the mothership for analysis and to expect a recall/update once a fix is found. I was also advised to avoid any pressurized water ( pressure washer/drive thru car washes) around the hood area until a fix can be sent out to all vehicles.

Additionally
I was advised that if the frunk gives the “4 beeps of failure” press the frunk closure button, once it starts beeping give gentle pressure on the hood and it should close and latch.

Thank you all again for your input to get me out of my pickle and thank you @fordmotorcompany for quickly handling my issue
Thanks for sharing and really good info on how to close it after the 4 beeps of fail.

I can't be the only one pondering that water intrusion comment they made.. with the fact there were pictures of many Lightnings w/ their hoods open all the time (on Ford lots) back a few weeks ago. Was there latch issues they knew about then, did yours slip thru the cracks and wasn't fixed, or was something else they were working on caused them to leave the hood open.. which caused this water intrusion issue. /shrug the conspiracy continues (lol).

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the update.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
UPDATE!!

Additionally

So maybe due to the hood misalignment, water got into places it shouldn't have which caused it to error out. Did you notice any fitment or gap issues when you picked up the vehicle?

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So maybe due to the hood misalignment, water got into places it shouldn't have which caused it to error out. Did you notice any fitment or gap issues when you picked up the vehicle?
It honestly wasn’t enough for me to notice, that being said. It used to click as it was opening as if it was almost catching on the latch which it is no longer doing. I was told by the service director at my ford Dealer that the engineer did find enough signs of water in connections that should have never been there that they took all my old parts for a *fix*.

jredondox

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The frunk malfunction message?
I have not seen the message but i get a few beeps, opens the latch and it stops. For closing it just beeps and it stays up.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have not seen the message but i get a few beeps, opens the latch and it stops. For closing it just beeps and it stays up.
For what it’s worth, my dealer did tell me that the Ford engineers were going to likely recall the parts once they come up with a fix. Hopefully sooner than later

Sponsored

Citizen0

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Anti-Matter Blue
Occupation
CTO
I was camping over the weekend and my frunk actually stated “Frunk Malfunction” or some such. It no longer opens or closes completely, though it will usually unlock enough for me to open it and close it. I had to use the frunk as I didn’t have enough space for everything I had for the trip.

I will take it in to my dealer this week. As it stands now I manually open and close it. If you push down on it [fairly] hard it will lock just like a traditional hood.

It was also quite embarrassing as I was running “Movie night” in a field entirely from the Truck. Everyone kept coming over to see the truck and asked how I liked it. I mean I love my truck, but I wasn’t going to tell them it was a miracle machine when the frunk literally wouldn’t work properly.

Also the other poster was correct. My Lightning didn’t care at all that the frunk was completely open. It gave a warning message on the instrument panel, but let me drive the truck as much as I wanted. It won’t let me move (without intervention) if the door is open and heaven help you if you don’t have your seatbelts on, but the frunk? Nah, go for it!!! ???

I’ll post what my dealer says once I get it by there. I’ll also let them know about the misalignment and possible water intrusion your dealership noted.

I am very, very happy with Sparky (Lariat ER) and fully expect some problems. This is basically a gen1 truck retrofitted on a traditional platform. There are going to be problems. The most important thing is how the problems are handled. All I expect is for Ford to fix issues as they arise in a reasonable time and way.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I am very, very happy with Sparky (Lariat ER) and fully expect some problems.
I named mine Sparky as well. I have Rusty (2007 F-250, but fits pretty much any Ford ever made except AL bodies), Boxy (2002 E-350 Motorhome), and Sparky (2022 F-150 Lightning). Just a happy side coincidence.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I was camping over the weekend and my frunk actually stated “Frunk Malfunction” or some such. It no longer opens or closes completely, though it will usually unlock enough for me to open it and close it. I had to use the frunk as I didn’t have enough space for everything I had for the trip.

I will take it in to my dealer this week. As it stands now I manually open and close it. If you push down on it [fairly] hard it will lock just like a traditional hood.

It was also quite embarrassing as I was running “Movie night” in a field entirely from the Truck. Everyone kept coming over to see the truck and asked how I liked it. I mean I love my truck, but I wasn’t going to tell them it was a miracle machine when the frunk literally wouldn’t work properly.

Also the other poster was correct. My Lightning didn’t care at all that the frunk was completely open. It gave a warning message on the instrument panel, but let me drive the truck as much as I wanted. It won’t let me move (without intervention) if the door is open and heaven help you if you don’t have your seatbelts on, but the frunk? Nah, go for it!!! ???

I’ll post what my dealer says once I get it by there. I’ll also let them know about the misalignment and possible water intrusion your dealership noted.

I am very, very happy with Sparky (Lariat ER) and fully expect some problems. This is basically a gen1 truck retrofitted on a traditional platform. There are going to be problems. The most important thing is how the problems are handled. All I expect is for Ford to fix issues as they arise in a reasonable time and way.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
mine started with the the same issue this am SMH!
It could be Jealous you don't it's picture as your Avatar on this forum. It thinks you like the GT500 more!
;)
(Dream garage BTW)
Sponsored