• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Prolly just going to by a chargepoint flex.

Get a rebate from the electric company that way.

All my SR can handle anyways.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
For those going down the rabbit hole for Chargers (EVSE), I've been debating what to buy and just settled on one:

Emporia Smart Level 2 EV Charger
https://www.amazon.com/Emporia-Charger-Electric-Hardwired-Charging/dp/B09BP1GM76

This is (I believe) the cheapest 48amp charger you can buy, it's $399.99

It'll charge the Standard Range in ~10 Hours, and the extended in 12 hours (if you hardwire a 60amp circuit). So, roughly overnight to full (~20-25 miles/hour)

I was going to run w/ the ChargePoint Home Flex ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNXTHNW), and it's currently sitting in my living room, but I'm returning it. One it was $300 more (basically the price of my 60Ft wiring run), and two I wanted more flexibility in with on-the-fly charge speeds (to try to match Solar). The Emporia can set charge speeds in the app, and if you use their energy monitoring, you can sync it w/ Solar.

I wasn't really considering the Emporia until I saw this video about it:

This popular DIY Solar guy on YT vouched for it. It's not UL-listed yet, but the company submitted it to be, just processing.

The chargepoint flex does have a better holster and better cord (less stiff).

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
This popular DIY Solar guy on YT vouched for it. It's not UL-listed yet, but the company submitted it to be, just processing.
This isn't a gamble I'd be willing to take unless you only carry insurance for the paper it's on.

Deleted member 9341

For those going down the rabbit hole for Chargers (EVSE), I've been debating what to buy and just settled on one:

Emporia Smart Level 2 EV Charger
https://www.amazon.com/Emporia-Charger-Electric-Hardwired-Charging/dp/B09BP1GM76

This is (I believe) the cheapest 48amp charger you can buy, it's $399.99

It'll charge the Standard Range in ~10 Hours, and the extended in 12 hours (if you hardwire a 60amp circuit). So, roughly overnight to full (~20-25 miles/hour)

I was going to run w/ the ChargePoint Home Flex ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNXTHNW), and it's currently sitting in my living room, but I'm returning it. One it was $300 more (basically the price of my 60Ft wiring run), and two I wanted more flexibility in with on-the-fly charge speeds (to try to match Solar). The Emporia can set charge speeds in the app, and if you use their energy monitoring, you can sync it w/ Solar.

I wasn't really considering the Emporia until I saw this video about it:

The chargepoint flex does have a better holster and better cord (less stiff).
My ChargePoint Flex allows me to easily adjust amperage from the app too. In fact that’s the only way to change it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
$1,310 for 80A Charge Station Pro (not the $2,500 to $3,000 some had estimated).
I can't speak for everyone but I was expecting the charger to be $1000-$1500. It's the "Home Integration System" that's still pending that I'm expecting to be another $1500-$2500.

For those that don't have an ATS and don't want to use a manual interlock to switch over, that's another $500-$1000.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
My ChargePoint Flex allows me to easily adjust amperage from the app too. In fact that’s the only way to change it.
If you have a minute can you show me the screen?

I looked at responses on Amazon q&a and it seemed like the consensus was no easy way. Can I just go into the app and select 32amp, even if I have it hard wired for 48amp?

Seemed like the only way was resetting the install.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I can't speak for everyone but I was expecting the charger to be $1000-$1500. It's the "Home Integration System" that's still pending that I'm expecting to be another $1500-$2500.

For those that don't have an ATS and don't want to use a manual interlock to switch over, that's another $500-$1000.
I'd like to know all about integration as well - Ford certainly neutered this charger/truck combo by not including a bidirectional AC onboard charger system it could have controlled.

But the author here has seen a lot of EVSE prices and predicted the much higher price. https://insideevs.com/news/566691/siemens-ford-charge-station-pro/

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

$1,500 to $2,000 would be great for the integration system (which I believe includes an ATS as it is required by code). I am worried it will be North of $5k just for the equipment.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
$1,500 to $2,000 would be great for the integration system (which I believe includes an ATS as it is required by code). I am worried it will be North of $5k just for the equipment.
I expect the inverter will be capable to be used as PV inverter as well, for a small bit of cost efficiency with new PV installations.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I don't expect that cost to include the ATS as most of the literature states with an * that it's necessary. I'm basing that just on what typical solar inverters run and they can certainly go up to $8000 in some cases so perhaps I'm being too optimistic.

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
91' Skyline GTR Sold, 16' Shelby GT350 Sold
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
Yeah, sending that email to people that can't even order a 2022, and haven't yet been asked to order a 2023, is BS.
Completely agree. Even more upsetting is the fact that I see a "Pre Approval Certificate" to finance the truck. What's the point? Finance a vehicle that I can't even order or even know what kind of pricing it will have in 2023, 2024 or 2025. Still waiting for an invitation email.

vacasity

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning 2022 XLT
A 50A circuit will only support 40A of charging. You need to derate by 20 percent for continuous load.
The 50 amp circuit was in there just for the ovens, depending on the panel, he may still have room to out in the proper breaker.
consulting a qualified electrician Would be the best way to go.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The 120V charger will come with every truck. One can order it from Ford parts but it will be expensive.

I'd still like to know more about the Pro charger as to how to connect it.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I'd consider looking at how much you expect to require in terms of power to replace typical day. Thes second is and time of use number. I have a two hour sweet spot of tos but can't really force that much power in my car so I end up with about a 4 hour recharge each day in the two best prices tos.

The car calculates how to charge in the lowest cost if you select that option. If it needs two hours then it uses the sweet spot mostly. I set it to only charge at those best price times so some days it may take until the weekend to finish. I never set it to 100% charge either.

It is likely that most people won't need to charge at 48A.
Sponsored