• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Getting cold feet

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Long story short, day 1 reservation holder and my Lightning XLT SR is being produced this coming week. I'm conflicted on whether to go ahead and purchase the vehicle. I currently drive a custom ordered 22 502A Lariat Powerboost with Blue cruise that I ordered last year when it looked like I wasn't going to get a Lightning any time soon (ha).

My current case use is mainly suburban driving. I pick up the kids, lots of errand hauling and we put the bed to use constantly. We do not tow. This would lend it self greatly towards the Lightning as I can charge in my garage no problem. I already have a 14-50 hookup installed when we built the house and a Emporia charger on the way purchased last week in case I end up getting the Lightning.

We do not plan to roadtrip, but once or twice a year I have to drive to work (Atlanta Hartsfield) and that trip is 193 miles one way. Halfway between is an EA fast charger site at a Walmart with 8 charging stations. There is another one about 30 miles further down the road into GA that has 4 stalls. I've been very apprehensive about it after reading all the EA charging issues. It would absolutely have to work for me or I'd be in trouble on that trip due to always having to make work by a certain time to sign in.

The cons agains the Lightning is that my powerboost has been flawless. It has more features being a 502A..granted they are niceties that aren't necessarily needed, but nice... heated/cooled leather seats, pano roof, blue cruise etc. I'm also able to road trip no issue in the powerboost and if we ever need to tow there would be zero issue. Fuel mpg is very good in town around 26-27 and combined with highway around 24. Not too bad for a full size truck.

Finally due to being able to order at a perfect time early this year, my 502A was well below invoice and I paid nearly the same as this XLT SR is going to cost (before potential tax credit which I may not qualify for in 23'.

I'm sure opinions are all over the place and its biased being an Lightning forum, but any good thoughts I'm missing? I go on the powerboost forums and they are of course tilted towards the hybrid being the best of both worlds currently.

Will I regret going EV? I drove our dealer's pro and it was a great ride, but I only drove it for 30 minutes about 4 months ago. I've wanted the Lightning for so long, but now that the time has come and my Powerboost has been so nice I'm just really torn. I'm still leaning towards getting the Lightning, but wanted some encouragement.

Thanks!
Sponsored

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I agree, keep the Powerbosst. Itā€™s a 22 gets decent mileage and no range anxiety. I traded in my 21 Platinum for my 22 Lariat and lost some features, but for me it was the right move.

Like in the previous post, give it a few more years and options and quality will most likely improve.

OP
OP

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I agree, keep the Powerbosst. Itā€™s a 22 gets decent mileage and no range anxiety. I traded in my 21 Platinum for my 22 Lariat and lost some features, but for me it was the right move.

Like in the previous post, give it a few more years and options and quality will most likely improve.
what made you move from the ice to the Lightning f150?

That is what Iā€™m curious about ..folks that owned an ICE f150 and got a āš”.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I wanted the power boost options the EV has, my Platinum didnā€™t have it. I also live close to work, 20 miles rebound trip, and donā€™t do any long haul driving or towing. I also like spending 12.00 on a charge vs. 120.00 on a full tank every few weeks.

Sponsored
OP
OP

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I wanted the power boost options the EV has, my Platinum didnā€™t have it. I also live close to work, 20 miles rebound trip, and donā€™t do any long haul driving or towing. I also like spending 12.00 on a charge vs. 120.00 on a full tank every few weeks.
that is pretty much my driving reason is the fuel costs. I rarely drive to work..maybe once a year. Otherwise Iā€™ll be charging at home.

I agree, pro power on board is a game changer. I have the 7.2kw option and itā€™s fantastic.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I went from a loaded Audi to a XLT, it's a substantial change and one that I notice sometimes. Specifically now that it has gotten cold, no heated seats is something I didn't think I'd miss as much as I do. It's my first vehicle without them in 15 years and this will be the last vehicle I have without them. The other thing I miss more than I expected is adaptive cruise, I didn't realize just how much better highway driving is with this feature.

With that said, I am still happy I made the change, because the truck drives so nice and I use the bed all the time. You will almost assuredly prefer the drive over your PB, which to me is the #1 consideration for a vehicle. Based on how irregularly you go on longer trips, I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor in your purchase.

So i ask, are amenities or drive quality your number one consideration when ranking a vehicle? That's how you should make your decision.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
a nice powerboost, or not, I'll never go back to 'gas' vehicles - 9,000 miles on my PRO and loving it - towing the camper to the N Georgia Mountains, towing it to Panama City Beach, and making numerous 800 mile trips... plus 'everyday' sales stops during work hours : )

average of $1.50 daily for 'fuel'

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
what made you move from the ice to the Lightning f150?

That is what Iā€™m curious about ..folks that owned an ICE f150 and got a āš”.
I had a 2019 Platinum, traded it when the Pro came in. Platinum had a ton more features, but the Pro is great. Frunk is a game changer in a truck IMO.

I may only keep the Pro for a year or two, but so far, it is great

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You should not buy the Lightning. Despite having two EA locations to charge from, your post screams anxiety and apprehension. What are you going to do when the truck has an issue and you are late to work?

You simply aren't of the right mindset to buy now.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have had my Lariat ER since July. It is amazing. Iā€™ll never go back to gas. I would not recommend the SR. Resale will be nothing. Realize highway driving is ~80% of rated range and you only use ~70% of that due to charging 10-80% at DC chargers. My opinion based on 6 months of ownership is any EV rated less than 300 miles will have zero resale once the next gen comes out based in the range reductions mention above in the real world. Not even factoring cold weather impacts (another ~30% reduction on top of the above reductions).
All that said if you truly have another road trip vehicle I would consider the purchase if youā€™re interested in going electric in the next 3 years. Prices will keep climbing while the factories are built out. 2026 models will start to see comparable prices to gas.

OP
OP

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
You should not buy the Lightning. Despite having two EA locations to charge from, your post screams anxiety and apprehension. What are you going to do when the truck has an issue and you are late to work?

You simply aren't of the right mindset to buy now.
ha ok. Iā€™ll figure it out not too concerned about work..Iā€™ll deal with that if and when it happens.

I would argue itā€™s hard to be in the right mindset when many of us are first time EV owners.

F150Blue

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Long story short, day 1 reservation holder and my Lightning XLT SR is being produced this coming week. I'm conflicted on whether to go ahead and purchase the vehicle. I currently drive a custom ordered 22 502A Lariat Powerboost with Blue cruise that I ordered last year when it looked like I wasn't going to get a Lightning any time soon (ha).

My current case use is mainly suburban driving. I pick up the kids, lots of errand hauling and we put the bed to use constantly. We do not tow. This would lend it self greatly towards the Lightning as I can charge in my garage no problem. I already have a 14-50 hookup installed when we built the house and a Emporia charger on the way purchased last week in case I end up getting the Lightning.

We do not plan to roadtrip, but once or twice a year I have to drive to work (Atlanta Hartsfield) and that trip is 193 miles one way. Halfway between is an EA fast charger site at a Walmart with 8 charging stations. There is another one about 30 miles further down the road into GA that has 4 stalls. I've been very apprehensive about it after reading all the EA charging issues. It would absolutely have to work for me or I'd be in trouble on that trip due to always having to make work by a certain time to sign in.

The cons agains the Lightning is that my powerboost has been flawless. It has more features being a 502A..granted they are niceties that aren't necessarily needed, but nice... heated/cooled leather seats, pano roof, blue cruise etc. I'm also able to road trip no issue in the powerboost and if we ever need to tow there would be zero issue. Fuel mpg is very good in town around 26-27 and combined with highway around 24. Not too bad for a full size truck.

Finally due to being able to order at a perfect time early this year, my 502A was well below invoice and I paid nearly the same as this XLT SR is going to cost (before potential tax credit which I may not qualify for in 23'.

I'm sure opinions are all over the place and its biased being an Lightning forum, but any good thoughts I'm missing? I go on the powerboost forums and they are of course tilted towards the hybrid being the best of both worlds currently.

Will I regret going EV? I drove our dealer's pro and it was a great ride, but I only drove it for 30 minutes about 4 months ago. I've wanted the Lightning for so long, but now that the time has come and my Powerboost has been so nice I'm just really torn. I'm still leaning towards getting the Lightning, but wanted some encouragement.

Thanks!
I would get the lightning. you'll be fine with the 190 miles work ride plus there are more chargers installed often. also if you go on a far vacation or something you could rent a vehicle once a year

F150Blue

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
ha ok. Iā€™ll figure it out not too concerned about work..Iā€™ll deal with that if and when it happens.

I would argue itā€™s hard to be in the right mindset when many of us are first time EV owners.
as for mindset after you use the car you'll have the mindset that it works or it doesn't.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT

190 miles one way??? XLT SR gets 240 in a perfect world (not at highway speeds)before cold temps. Not to mention to get max range with a buffer you'll have to charge to 100% while it's cold in the morning/nights just in case EA stations are having problems. I hate saying this but a Powerboost sounds better for you.
Sponsored