• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GM To Adopt Tesla/NACS Charging Standard

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I wondering how the values of truck will drop due to the new standard taking hold. I highly doubt there will be some sort of retrofit kit from FMC or GM.

OP
OP
Amps

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I wondering how the values of truck will drop due to the new standard taking hold. I highly doubt there will be some sort of retrofit kit from FMC or GM.
Values may go up because everybody will be waiting in lines at Superchargers and the fully functional high-power EA stations will be empty. ;)

Seriously, there will be adapters and they've already announced the opposite of this one:

https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Freewire is a DCFC manufacturer, not a charging service provider.
Take 2:
"We expect a domino effect to take place and all other automakers and charging station companies operating in North America to announce that they will adopt NACS.

It has already started with Flo, a Quebec-based EV charging station company with over 90,000 chargers, announcing it will offer NACS on its charging stations and “supports broader use” of the standard."
https://electrek.co/2023/06/09/tesla-nacs-domino-ev-charging-companies-adopting-standard/

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Values may go up because everybody will be waiting in lines at Superchargers and the fully functional high-power EA stations will be empty. ;)

Seriously, there will be adapters and they've already announced the opposite of this one:

https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter
I know, but regular people won't see it that way. They would possibly see it as an older "outdated" connector. The same goes with chademo chargers. I highly doubt you would buy something that has a chademo connection. Yes I know, the CCS1 and NACS can have adapters, but the mindset could be like this.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Sandy gets emotional .....

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Funniest video they've ever done is the one posted in the last week (Some Assembly Required) about the Ioniq 5 center console.
Yeah that one was really good

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Freewire is a DCFC manufacturer, not a charging service provider.
I know it's not an operator, but the equipment that operators are buying are making the switch and ABB is a big one. The ball is rolling and picking up speed. Tesla will not have a monopoly and we'll have choices on where to charge, with or without an adaptor. I saw a nice comparison to gas stations having pumps that contain gas and diesel. In the future, DCFC will likely have CCS1 and NACS. It will probably take a couple decades to phase out CCS1, assuming NACS becomes an actual standard and we don't just live with having 2 options.
https://www.teslarati.com/abb-e-mobility-adds-tesla-north-american-charging-standard-nacs/

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The ball is picking up speed and size...

"June 12 (Reuters) - Electric vehicle charging equipment makers Blink Charging (BLNK.O), ChargePoint (CHPT.N) and Tritium (DCFC.O) said on Monday they will offer chargers with Tesla's connector, as the standard Combined Charging System (CCS) connector falls out of favor with automakers."
https://www.reuters.com/business/au...ger-evs-with-teslas-charging-port-2023-06-12/
That’s great, but we will end up with the same problems if these fools don’t start realizing that it isn’t about only what conector is being used smh….

What’s the point if they all change but we still show up with stations down or giving us errors, etc etc. At least myself I am excited because we will be able to use Tesla SC not because the connector is changing….that’s just me

Frankly for us it would be be better if they improved on the current CCS experience, I don’t want to use an adaptor all the time 🤣

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
May be one of those situations where you get what you pay for. Higher premium and high reliability, lower premium and sketchy reliability.

If the stations that are coming online from NEVI now include both CCS and NACS, then we ought to have both options with decent reliability and no need for an adaptor. I'm optimistic about things improving by an order of magnitude in the next 2-3 years.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I just read CharIn is creating a task force to make NACS a fully open standard. The good news just keeps coming.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Honestly--

EA could have Tesla(NACS) connections at most of their stations and they would still have 95% or more of the same problems. The problem is primarily hardware/software issues (along with crappy customer service) that will not be solved by a new connector.
Sponsored