• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Great Review from Out of Spec (w/ Charging Curve Discussion)

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
Youtuber, Out of Spec Reviews, dropped a very good review this morning.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
YES, agreed - KYLE does a GREAT, GREAT job at being so 'relaxed'(not!), but yet being able to 'speak' nerd to the rest of us, with excitement, and with a LOT OF KNOWLEDGE!
The way it just rolls off his tongue from his brain is absolutely amazing - KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, Kyle!

Kyle really does have a lot of knowledge, as he can share that with you just as easily as he can simply provide some great basic overviews, if you want. He also comes across as your 'friend', and not someone that is a know-it-all and just boasting - Kyle, you keep doing what you bees doin!!

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Interesting comments on the 1 pedal driving. I hope it's not as annoying as he mentions. It is actually one of the better things about driving an EV. Nice to hear that it's quiet and its charging curve is basically flat as a board (to 80%). That said, at 80% my Model has tapered to around 30kw and its peak is really only around 120kw that I only get when I'm below 10%. I agree with him that they need some kind of kw meter on the truck. I wonder if the app will show the charging rate.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Based on what I saw from @OutofSpecKyle and @tommolog it looks like charging is at 150kW from 15% (maybe lower?) to 50% then ramps down to ~120kW from 50% and 70%, holds at ~120 to 80% then drops to ~50-60 at 80%. Assuming all goes well that should get you from 15-80 in 37 minutes, which gives you over 200 miles of range in the ER battery. Not too bad, a little better than Ford's claim of 41 minutes.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Interesting comments on the 1 pedal driving. I hope it's not as annoying as he mentions. It is actually one of the better things about driving an EV. Nice to hear that it's quiet and its charging curve is basically flat as a board (to 80%). That said, at 80% my Model has tapered to around 30kw and its peak is really only around 120kw that I only get when I'm below 10%. I agree with him that they need some kind of kw meter on the truck. I wonder if the app will show the charging rate.
It doesn't currently

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Not having the charging rate on the display in the car is a weird omission.

EDIT: you could tell Kyle was irritated 😂

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Kyle is good at testing the thermal limits of vehicles he reviews. The lightning did really well with his stress test, both while driving and while charging. It will be interesting to see how a vehicle without max tow does under sinilar conditions. The Rivian he recently tested seemed to have a bunch episodes of thermal throttling, especially after the most recent software update. The Rivian has higher peak charging speeds, but I think the charging curve is actually going to be better in the Lightning.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
it's possible that there is a one-pedal-driving adjustment setting, or regeneration setting, that we don't yet know about, since it's doubtful that most of the reviewers have had much time to get deep into the various screens for the LIGHTNING - it would be nice to be able to customize these actions according to your own driving style and comfort.
Or, we may see some OTA updates from Ford down the road, especially as they start to hear from owners.
Sponsored