• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Has anyone road tripped in an SR yet?

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
I've seen a lot of road trip reviews for really long trips, but all seem to be ER models.

I am getting ready to take my SR on a 700 mile round trip from STL to Cincinnati, and just curious if anyone has used their SR for long trips and if they've encountered any issues. Only area that looks tough will be between Indianapolis and Cincinnati, where there aren't any rapid chargers at all.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
850 miles so far, since last Thursday...with my camper. Staying at a different campground, rv park, or one of my son's campers each night. Charging at CloudlandCanyon state park in far NW Georgia now, and powering the camper from the truck. Averaging 1.3 to 1.4 m/pkwh while towing the 3,000lb camper.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
We are planning on a So Calif to Missouri river, MT fishing trip and will be using DCFC along the 15 freeway and L2 at hotel stays.

My SR has way more range than I need for a long trip because I can't drive long distances. I have to stop after 2 hours and rest so DCFC will be perfect to top off. After driving about 6 hours, I am done and will need to sleep so a hotel's L2 overnight charging will be perfect.
Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone road tripped in an SR yet? Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 7.50.22 AM

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
Metroshot, just wondering on this trip how did it do in the Mountains such as the Cajon Pass and in Utah? I drive up to our place in Arrowhead and from the flatlands, up to our place (elevation 5,200ft) its about 12 miles but I experience about a 25% more power requirement on the uphill and only a 10% power gain (regen) on the downhill. This has been the case in 4 of the various EVs I travel in up to our place. but I haven't done any long mountain driving with the lightning yet. Thanks for any tips you have.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Metroshot, just wondering on this trip how did it do in the Mountains such as the Cajon Pass and in Utah? I drive up to our place in Arrowhead and from the flatlands, up to our place (elevation 5,200ft) its about 12 miles but I experience about a 25% more power requirement on the uphill and only a 10% power gain (regen) on the downhill. This has been the case in 4 of the various EVs I travel in up to our place. but I haven't done any long mountain driving with the lightning yet. Thanks for any tips you have.
The biggest draw to range I found out with the elevation changes and hills is the speed that you maintain.

I drive primarily in the truck slow lanes on the right.

Don't care if other cars and 18 wheelers pass me on the left - I enjoy the safer and slower speeds under 60 MPH.

By keeping speeds low, I can maintain a very good range and recoup some energies on the downhill.

Not using climate controls was a huge energy saver for me - turned off the A/C and used seat ventilation and windows to regulate temps.

Looking at your drive to the local mountains is difficult as highways 18 and 138 are very narrow and single lanes.

Much more twisty & curvy to say the least and speeds are dependent on others.

I don't like the drive from the south approach - I prefer to drive into the Big Bear / Arrowhead mountains using back side northern desert routes.

My next trip will be to Mammoth Mountain for the early opening ski season...

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I am on a short trip now, I gotta say, the nav sucks. It will show you your state of charge on arrival once, and then that info is never shown again. Also, there doesn't seem to an an ETA either, wtaf.

Otherwise , my SR has outperformed any estimate I ran prior via abrp. It IS quite warm this week, but I gotta say I am no longer worried about the shorter range.

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Property Mgmt
The biggest draw to range I found out with the elevation changes and hills is the speed that you maintain.

I drive primarily in the truck slow lanes on the right.

Don't care if other cars and 18 wheelers pass me on the left - I enjoy the safer and slower speeds under 60 MPH.

By keeping speeds low, I can maintain a very good range and recoup some energies on the downhill.

Not using climate controls was a huge energy saver for me - turned off the A/C and used seat ventilation and windows to regulate temps.

Looking at your drive to the local mountains is difficult as highways 18 and 138 are very narrow and single lanes.

Much more twisty & curvy to say the least and speeds are dependent on others.

I don't like the drive from the south approach - I prefer to drive into the Big Bear / Arrowhead mountains using back side northern desert routes.

My next trip will be to Mammoth Mountain for the early opening ski season...
Thanks for the info, Mammoth just opened today with man made snow, we are planning Incline village in December. We will take the long route instead of 395 since charging above June can be an issue with broken charge points. The 99 has more options and is flatter.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Thanks for the info, Mammoth just opened today with man made snow, we are planning Incline village in December. We will take the long route instead of 395 since charging above June can be an issue with broken charge points. The 99 has more options and is flatter.
Are you going to cut across Hwy 80 or 50 ?

Don't even know of charger situation on those roads - haven't travelled there in years.

My destination charging is in Bishop, usually my stop point as the altitude bothers me sometimes at Mammoth base.

If the roads are too snowy, I stay in Bishop and fish for trout in the Owens river & tributaries..

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Property Mgmt
Are you going to cut across Hwy 80 or 50 ?

Don't even know of charger situation on those roads - haven't travelled there in years.

My destination charging is in Bishop, usually my stop point as the altitude bothers me sometimes at Mammoth base.

If the roads are too snowy, I stay in Bishop and fish for trout in the Owens river & tributaries..
If you ever tow a trailer to comvict lake let me know how it goes, My buddy tows a 35 footer their at every spring, he uses a f250 though.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
If you ever tow a trailer to comvict lake let me know how it goes, My buddy tows a 35 footer their at every spring, he uses a f250 though.
Unfortunately I never tow and don't have a boat.

My LIghtning lacks any tow options - it can do only 5000lbs but scared of boats in general...

I am deathly afraid of boats and the closest I will get into one is in a guide's drift boat down a river which is used to transport me to spots where I get out and walk / wade fish...

Saul Goodman

First Name
Saul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Formerly Mach-E FE, 2022 F150L Lariat in transit
I've seen a lot of road trip reviews for really long trips, but all seem to be ER models.

I am getting ready to take my SR on a 700 mile round trip from STL to Cincinnati, and just curious if anyone has used their SR for long trips and if they've encountered any issues. Only area that looks tough will be between Indianapolis and Cincinnati, where there aren't any rapid chargers at all.
It’s about a 90-mile stretch between SE Indianapolis EA and the west end of the Cincinnati metro. You’re all good if you top up there. Just a rough estimate based on my SR range so far and general EV road tripping experience, I’d aim for about Terre Haute, then that EA on the SE corner of Indy.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Just drove my newly-purchased Pro-SR from the dealer near South Bend, IN to the Twin Cities, MN. Being new to EV's we planned a very conservative set of charging stops. In the cold and even with the headwind on Saturday, driving about 68-70 mph most of the way, we averaged 1.7 mi / kwh according to the truck's trip meter.
Minor annoyance in that several charging stations along the route were out of order. One key is to get the EVGo and Electrify America apps because a common malfunction was the credit card reader being inoperative on many charging units. Using the app, we could still initiate charging on those units (and the price was lower as well).

NoCharge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting Pro Iconic Silver
Just drove my newly-purchased Pro-SR from the dealer near South Bend, IN to the Twin Cities, MN. Being new to EV's we planned a very conservative set of charging stops. In the cold and even with the headwind on Saturday, driving about 68-70 mph most of the way, we averaged 1.7 mi / kwh according to the truck's trip meter.
Minor annoyance in that several charging stations along the route were out of order. One key is to get the EVGo and Electrify America apps because a common malfunction was the credit card reader being inoperative on many charging units. Using the app, we could still initiate charging on those units (and the price was lower as well).
Let me guess. Madison EA had maybe 2 of the 4 working and Tomah still had 1 working? I drove to Milwaukee last week and the Madison EA is a joke. Very hard to get in and out and only 2 stations working.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Let me guess. Madison EA had maybe 2 of the 4 working and Tomah still had 1 working? I drove to Milwaukee last week and the Madison EA is a joke. Very hard to get in and out and only 2 stations working.
Depends on how you count "working". Several of the credit card readers were broken in both locations, but people were able to charge using the app.
Madison had 2 of 4 working. Tomah had at least 1 working and 2 definitely broken. Did not check the 4th one - the screen seemed OK.

In regards to hard to get in and out of, yes, the locations with narrow stalls with the machines and bollards tight to the sides are not so convenient for parking a full sized pickup truck and getting your door open.
The locations with the chargers lined up along the edge of the lot are much easer. Especially with the F150L with the charge port near the front.
Sponsored