• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heater question during charging....

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Can anyone tell me why when I turn on heat full blast I'm not getting any hot air? Or has anyone experienced this? I'm at a hospital charging at a level 2. It started fogging up as it's cold in San diego. ( 53* brrrr!!! Sorry Midwest peeps. Much respect to you guys!) BUT for the life of me I cannot get this thing to get hot. I turnd the a/c off, I turn auto on and off, driver focused, defogger, back to normal but nothing... no heat. I also have random problems where the temp slider isn't really reflecting what it's putting out but it's been ok lately. I'm sure when I drive off it will go back to normal but this is strange.

Ford F-150 Lightning Heater question during charging.... 20230118_183809
Sponsored

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
I turned the truck off and on and it started working. Also my pro power warning came on. Said that charging at same time and pro power wouldt work well. I never touched it... wtf.

Overall these little gremlins are the only problems I'm having with the truck. Otherwise it's been great.

Android phone connection conflicts
Hvac temp controls are buggy
Pro power warnings for no reason ( very few but I have had 3 or so)

I just got the warning again after turning off pro power button that I never touched

Ford F-150 Lightning Heater question during charging.... 20230118_184915

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I get the same lecture about pro power frequently. Yet it won't stay off when I turn it off! Please @Ford Motor Company please give us the ability to control the default behavior of pro power (like staying off until I actually turn it on).

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
So as I sit here. The heat went off and won't come back on. I should be able to be hooked into shore power and have heat while I'm charging.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Here is a thermal image of the cold air while its set to hot. The vent is at about 60*

Ford F-150 Lightning Heater question during charging.... FLIR_20230118_070007_929

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The truck might be using the heater to warm the battery. Unplug and see if it gets hotter.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
The truck might be using the heater to warm the battery. Unplug and see if it gets hotter.
I thought the interior heat was basicly a hair dryer style electric grid no?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I thought the interior heat was basicly a hair dryer style electric grid no?
It is. But the truck only has one heater and it is shared between the cabin and battery. It you're trying to charge it might give the battery priority to the heat over the cabin.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
It is. But the truck only has one heater and it is shared between the cabin and battery. It you're trying to charge it might give the battery priority to the heat over the cabin.
I gotta see the schematic for that. I don't quite get how or understand they would use a hot wire resistance type heat element to heat the battery.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
So I hit full auto with high heat. Nothing. I'm reading through the manual. It seems like this thing is not functioning right at the moment. I'm sure when I drive off it will be fine.

It's just frustrating that this thing won't heat the cabin. What if someone is stranded and needs to charge and would freeze if they had no heat!. I'm just glad I'm I. San Diego. I'd be super pissed if I was up north.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I gotta see the schematic for that. I don't quite get how or understand they would use a hot wire resistance type heat element to heat the battery.
This post is from THIS thread.

This diagram of the Mach-E system gives us insight on how the Lightning system might work, though the Max Tow package would have 2 AC units one dedicated to battery and the other to the cabin.

I speculate, the E-heat switched off just stops the cabin blower, but possibly the PTC heater might still run and diverter valve channel red 3, sends the hot coolant to battery pump 2 circuit, through the battery, through the proportioning valve back to the diverter valve channel blue to the cabin pump and through the PTC. Possibly the PTC only heats when the battery temps are critical during DCFC, then it stops as the DCFC charging produces it's own heat.

1670024266823.png

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Ah, so it has a standard heater core and a heat exchanger type element. Got it.

Now I can see how the battery could be hogging all the heat if it is getting a signal to close the diverter to the cabin. But this seems like really bad practice. I'm pretty sure they could loop the heat to the battery then back to the cabin to get some heat during cold weather charging.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What if someone is stranded and needs to charge and would freeze if they had no heat!
Odd that you are NOT getting heat with E-heat on!!

The PTC is a water heater that super heats the coolant runs through a diverter valve to the battery pack or exclusively the cabin HVAC heater core as found on ICE trucks.

When I am at a DCFC while sub freezing, I turn my cabin heat off periodically to allow the truck to send heat to the battery pack, I think that cuts the fan off hot coolant goes through the core but does not release much heat to the cabin, the loop continues to next pump 2 the the pack, comes back through porp... valve, diverter then pump 6

You turn on your heated seats and steering wheel, takes the edge off the 25-45 minute visit.

Diverter is in cabin heat only mode, rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise moves fluid from heater core to next pump to pack

Ford F-150 Lightning Heater question during charging.... 1674102552265

Last edited:

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Ah, so it has a standard heater core and a heat exchanger type element. Got it.

Now I can see how the battery could be hogging all the heat if it is getting a signal to close the diverter to the cabin. But this seems like really bad practice. I'm pretty sure they could loop the heat to the battery then back to the cabin to get some heat during cold weather charging.
Are you turning the truck fully on (pressing the brake pedal)? The heat/AC does not work in accessory mode.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Are you turning the truck fully on (pressing the brake pedal)? The heat/AC does not work in accessory mode.
No, it was on accessory mode... if it's that simple I feel stupid. We should still be able to run heat while charging with ACC on. That seems intuitive.
Sponsored