• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Hello Everyone! New Member About to Place My Order: Need Clarification on One Option Please

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Can someone please tell me what this is:

Ford Co-Pilot360™ Active 2.0 with Tow Technology Package

Information is very limited and it seems like this is required for the BlueCruise thing which appears to have some growing to do yet to be useful. Active Park Assist is also included but I don't use this on the cars we own that have it so not really a selling feature. About the only item I see that may be of use is "Phone As A Key" and I'm wondering... does this do anything more than replace the key for starting/stopping the vehicle?

On our current cars (Teslas) I can control most features from the phone app at no additional charge. We use these features a lot. Does the Lightning do this as standard as well or do I need the "Phone As A Key" option to activate them or?

No pressure but I'm literally hovering on the "order" button as I type this and just need to know if I need to add this or not. I assume that lots of these software type options can be added after delivery as well but I'd like to get the truck as close to 100% as possible before clicking submit to be sure.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Information is very limited and it seems like this is required for the BlueCruise thing which appears to have some growing to do yet to be useful. Active Park Assist is also included but I don't use this on the cars we own that have it so not really a selling feature. About the only item I see that may be of use is "Phone As A Key" and I'm wondering... does this do anything more than replace the key for starting/stopping the vehicle?

On our current cars (Teslas) I can control most features from the phone app at no additional charge. We use these features a lot. Does the Lightning do this as standard as well or do I need the "Phone As A Key" option to activate them or?

No pressure but I'm literally hovering on the "order" button as I type this and just need to know if I need to add this or not. I assume that lots of these software type options can be added after delivery as well but I'd like to get the truck as close to 100% as possible before clicking submit to be sure.

Thanks for your help!
Ok - I can give a little help.

Active 2.0 gives you adaptive cruise control and lane centering. Blue Cruise is what lets this go hands free on the highway.

Tow Technology gives you lost of towing features that are nice to haves if you tow alot. I don't tow so I am not 100% familiar with the details.

Without PAAK, you can lock/unlock and remote start the truck with the Ford app. You can also view information about it. Beyond letting you use your phone as a key, PAAK also enables additional controls, at least for the Mach-e. things like opening and closing the tailgate and frunk, lightning etc.

Sorry I can't be more specific - I don't have my Lightning yet.

OP
OP
Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok - I can give a little help.

Active 2.0 gives you adaptive cruise control and lane centering. Blue Cruise is what lets this go hands free on the highway.

Tow Technology gives you lost of towing features that are nice to haves if you tow alot. I don't tow so I am not 100% familiar with the details.

Without PAAK, you can lock/unlock and remote start the truck with the Ford app. You can also view information about it. Beyond letting you use your phone as a key, PAAK also enables additional controls, at least for the Mach-e. things like opening and closing the tailgate and frunk, lightning etc.

Sorry I can't be more specific - I don't have my Lightning yet.
No, this has been helpful. I think that the package isn't really worth the $2,200 for me as I don't anticipate towing or much of what you described. I love Autopilot on our other cars and use it almost exclusively but, at least from what I've seen, the BlueCruise doesn't offer the same functionality... at least yet anyway. It sounds like the app as standard will do most of what I like to use my phone/app for other than opening/closing the frunk/tailgate. We can do that now with the app as standard with Tesla so it's odd to me that Ford will let me heat/cool the cabin and lock/unlock the doors but I'd need this optional package to open/close the frunk. Either way, I don't think it's going to be worth over $2k for my use case.

Thanks for your quick response and your help!

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer

Thanks for your help!
To clarify... You can tow with or without the extra towing packages. The technology package adds a couple of dashboard features to make it easy to steer it when you back up. They also have a Max Tow package that beef up the cooling system to handle super heavy trailers.

The Active 2.0 is definitely a great feature and to me it should be standard equipment because it enhances safety by keeping you in your lane and can potentially help you avoid accidents.

Ford has a great video on the subject:
https://www.ford.com/support/vehicl...001?name=ford-co-pilot360-assist-20-on-f-150/

I've used BlueCruise on my Mustang Mach-E and that takes it to another level by letting you go hands free on certain roads, but frankly I'm not ready to let go of the wheel entirely, so I held on 99% of the time anyway.

I definitely NEVER like using auto-park. I'm still not comfortable giving up control when parking.

OP
OP
Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To clarify... You can tow with or without the extra towing packages. The technology package adds a couple of dashboard features to make it easy to steer it when you back up. They also have a Max Tow package that beef up the cooling system to handle super heavy trailers.

The Active 2.0 is definitely a great feature and to me it should be standard equipment because it enhances safety by keeping you in your lane and can potentially help you avoid accidents.

https://www.ford.com/support/vehicl...001?name=ford-co-pilot360-assist-20-on-f-150/

I've used BlueCruise on my Mustang Mach-E and that takes it to another level by letting you go hands free on certain roads, but frankly I'm not ready to let go of the wheel entirely, so I held on 99% of the time anyway.

I definitely NEVER like using auto-park. I'm still not comfortable giving up control when parking.
That was a good video. Just to clarify, everything in that video was the option I mentioned, right? In other words, if I decide to not opt for that package I don't get the feature where the cameras read speed limit signs and adjust my cruise to be whatever -/+ I specify or adaptive cruise control, right?

I hear you about not wanting to take your hands off and I was the same with with our first Tesla. In fact, our first one didn't even have the Autopilot ability. My thought was that I didn't need that junk and I certainly wasn't going to pay for it. Now, I'm not sure I can live w/o it. I learned that it's quite competent and has become incredible to have as I've gotten used to it.

The parking thing and "come to me" features are alpha at best and I don't trust my car to do them. I can park myself and I certainly don't want to pay for those features on this vehicle.

I'm also not entirely sure how the tax credit works either. The $80k limit is before dealer fees or taxes, right? I ask because if I add this $2,200 option to how I have my truck spec'd out it puts me at like $79,400ish before any dealer fees (which I believe is $697) which is less than a hundred bucks over with it and a few hundred under w/o it factoring in. The last thing I want is to be within dollars of not qualifying for that tax rebate. I'm leaning towards not getting it just to preserve that cushion so I don't hose myself.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
The $80k limit is before dealer fees or taxes, right?
The IRS is supposed to issue rules regarding how that portion of the tax credit is going to be handled by 12/31/22. So the technical answer is that no one currently knows the answer to your question. That said, historically, these caps have not included fees/taxes.

There's a map of the current Blue Cruise progress of where it's available that I hear is accurate. It might help to find that map and see if the current places it's fully available are even relevant to your location/routes.

OP
OP
Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One other thing, has Ford historically allowed the purchase of software options after delivery is taken? If I miss something and then realize after I take delivery that I wish I had it and it's a software toggle... can I pay for that to be turn on or has Ford taken the traditional approach to car options that it can't be added after the build is processed?

I just know I'm going to leave something out and kick myself. The problem is that trim levels are selling out so I don't really have time to research to make sure I get it right before submitting, sadly.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I was able to make changes to my order up to the point my VIN was issued.

I don't think any of the options you're asking about, or that are offered on this truck, are "software options" if that helps in your decision. They all require hardware, even if it's only the chips controlling the feature, that won't be installed if you don't select the option. Some people are selecting the option and still not getting the chips...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That was a good video. Just to clarify, everything in that video was the option I mentioned, right? In other words, if I decide to not opt for that package I don't get the feature where the cameras read speed limit signs and adjust my cruise to be whatever -/+ I specify or adaptive cruise control, right?

I hear you about not wanting to take your hands off and I was the same with with our first Tesla. In fact, our first one didn't even have the Autopilot ability. My thought was that I didn't need that junk and I certainly wasn't going to pay for it. Now, I'm not sure I can live w/o it. I learned that it's quite competent and has become incredible to have as I've gotten used to it.

The parking thing and "come to me" features are alpha at best and I don't trust my car to do them. I can park myself and I certainly don't want to pay for those features on this vehicle.

I'm also not entirely sure how the tax credit works either. The $80k limit is before dealer fees or taxes, right? I ask because if I add this $2,200 option to how I have my truck spec'd out it puts me at like $79,400ish before any dealer fees (which I believe is $697) which is less than a hundred bucks over with it and a few hundred under w/o it factoring in. The last thing I want is to be within dollars of not qualifying for that tax rebate. I'm leaning towards not getting it just to preserve that cushion so I don't hose myself.
Yes, as far as we know the tax credit is based on MSRP and is not related to actually selling price (aka dealer fees and markup).

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Trust the Blue cruise - the Blue cruise is good! We have over ~3000 hands free miles on our Mach-e at this point (out of ~12.5k). It makes road trips so much nicer. When I am alone, I just set blue cruise, turn on an audio book, and glide along.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Trust the Blue cruise - the Blue cruise is good! We have over ~3000 hands free miles on our Mach-e at this point (out of ~12.5k). It makes road trips so much nicer. When I am alone, I just set blue cruise, turn on an audio book, and glide along.
Blue Cruise on the Mach-E was turned on using the same button as the regular cruise control, so I turned it on quite a bit over the past few months since they rolled out the feature. However, I'm so used to holding the wheel that I never felt a need to let go.

I've reached a point where I wouldn't buy a vehicle that doesn't have at least some sort of driver assistance that can specifically keep me in my lane and monitor my driving to proactively take steps to avoid accidents.

As the technology evolves, I can see a time in the near future where most of these features will become mandatory for new vehicles. I can also envision a point in a decade or so where human intervention will be rare and cars won't even need traditional steering wheels, but I'm still not ready to let go of the wheel.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The Blue Cruise is truly not too bad. Haven't used it much, but likely on par with what Tesla is truly delivering today with their old EAP. They have announced they are adding automatic lane change to at least future models, we aren't sure if we'll get it added via software to a '22 or not.

I've had Tesla's in the garage for 4 years and they are all about the technology. Ford is still learning how to spell it, so expect very few if any changes or add ons once you purchase the truck. They are trying and I'm truly hopeful they prove me wrong, but so far all they've proven is that they struggle to even get bug fixes sent out.

If you think you'll ever want the options for Blue Cruiser and to include PAAK you must include it now at order time. There will be no getting it later. Where Tesla includes all hardware in every car, it is not like that with Ford. I figure they'll see the light of day maybe with their redesign in a couple of years, but it doesn't work that way today.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
One other thing, has Ford historically allowed the purchase of software options after delivery is taken? If I miss something and then realize after I take delivery that I wish I had it and it's a software toggle... can I pay for that to be turn on or has Ford taken the traditional approach to car options that it can't be added after the build is processed?

I just know I'm going to leave something out and kick myself. The problem is that trim levels are selling out so I don't really have time to research to make sure I get it right before submitting, sadly.
Not that I'm aware of.

Ford sells hardware. Their software has ALWAYS been lacking.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Adaptive cruise control, ie Assist 2.0, seems enough to me. Blue Cruise has to see your eyes to stay on, whereas adaptive just needs a weight (your hand) hanging off the steering wheel, which seems safer to me if you must be watching the road anyway. Both are good enough to allow looky-loo stuff, like craning the neck to see something to the side for a few seconds, yet should safe you from a fender bender or worse if someone jams on the brakes ahead of you. Love it on my 2017 Honda CR-V. Tesla is trying to get to the "no driver needed" point. That promise is getting old, but must be pretty near. Tesla robot will be next for me.

OP
OP
Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Adaptive cruise control, ie Assist 2.0, seems enough to me. Blue Cruise has to see your eyes to stay on, whereas adaptive just needs a weight (your hand) hanging off the steering wheel, which seems safer to me if you must be watching the road anyway. Both are good enough to allow looky-loo stuff, like craning the neck to see something to the side for a few seconds, yet should safe you from a fender bender or worse if someone jams on the brakes ahead of you. Love it on my 2017 Honda CR-V. Tesla is trying to get to the "no driver needed" point. That promise is getting old, but must be pretty near. Tesla robot will be next for me.
I wouldn't hold your breath. I gave up on that fairy tale years ago.

I will say though that, for as much as I (and most others now) bag on the newer "FSD" and it's lack of features, the previous iteration of Autopilot (starting in 2014 with Autopilot 1 aka AP1) remains a fan favorite. It just works. Like... everywhere. As long as there are lines on the road (and sometimes even if there are not) you can activate it. I've got so used to using it over the years that I take pause when I consider buying a vehicle that doesn't have that ability.

For me, all I need is what the very first version of Tesla's Autopilot (AP1) offered: Adaptive cruise, lane keep plus the ability to manually change lanes using the turn signal stalk w/o having to take it out of Autopilot. Give me those in a package that is smooth and trustworthy and I'm all set while they work the kinks out on those more advanced systems.

No requirement to see your eyes (how does this even work during the daylight hours when most drivers wear sunglasses) and slight resistance from a hand every now and then to make sure you're still conscious. Perfect. It's damn near flawless in it's execution too which is a marvel considering it's remained largely unchanged saved for minor tweaks here and there (none for several years now) going back to 2014.

In fact, my AP1 Tesla Model S's offer a more enjoyable Autopilot experience than my AP2 cars. The AP2 cars have a lot more "quirks" that make it less reliable and less trustworthy. I use this as the litmus test for manufacturers that are struggling so mightily as we approach 2023... nearly a decade later. EV or not, there is no reason that other manufacturers shouldn't have bene working on this tech more seriously this entire time.

I don't need any of that other fancy stuff like smart summon, street light recognition, etc. that Autopilot 2 (AP2) offers and most of that stuff is untrustworthy. IMO one of the biggest mistakes Tesla (read: Elon) ever made was burning that bridge with MobileEye and thinking they would take that autopilot development for AP2 in-house. It took them until last year to make the experience similar to what MobileEye created for AP1 and, in some ways, AP1 is still superior even all of these years later. Crazy.

I digress.

It sounds a lot like the AI experience with Ford currently isn't going to get me close to what I'm used to even from nearly decade-old systems from Tesla so I doubt I'm going to invest anything in it currently. I can't see any current maps but my guess is it's highways/interstates only and it states specifically that they need to be divided. Given how few roads are actually divided my guess is that this wouldn't work on 90% of the roads I frequent even if I opt to remove my sunglasses and get blinded so the nanny can see me. That's one I have a hard time signing up for if that's indeed how it works. That's another area where I feel Tesla is far superior is it's lack of nannies whereas the larger manufacturers seem to base their entire existence on telling people what they can and can't (mostly can't) do with their vehicles.

I don't keep vehicles long enough to make it a worthwhile investment and, seeing as how many people are onto their 2nd and 3rd car after dropping $10k (now $15k... egads!) on FSD that never delivered on the promises... I'm glad I never got onboard with that. I'm keen to let others pay to beta test software where lives are literally on the line and my guess is that trend will continue onto Ford for me.
Sponsored

Last edited: