• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Help Deciding on Trim

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
With order banks opening soon, I find myself really struggling between a "loaded" ER XLT+ or an ER Lariat and I just can't make up my mind, so I am looking for input on both side to help me make sure I have considered everything. Here is how I plan to use the truck (Note, a base 2016 XLT is doing these duties now)

- Winter daily driver (~20 mile round trip commute)in the Northeast
- Hauling to support the robotics team I coach (relatively light weight but bulky stuff)
- Support Misc. home projects (lumber, tools, dump runs, etc.)
- Moving my oldest to and from College (only 2 years away!)
- Family (2 adult / 2 teens) road trip vehicle (hence the ER battery) - typically in the summer

I am thinking the Lariat would be more comfortable on the road trips due to nicer (and cooled!) seats, I love the light bar on the tail-light, but I can take or leave the larger screen. No plans to get Blue Cruise, or buy the hardware for that on the Lariat - only options would be the ER battery and A/T tires for snow performance. That said, we do just fine in our 2016 that has none of that (and a baby 4" screen for the backup camera).

Between Ford options and more time to pay down my current loan (planning on getting the truck in 2023), the Lariat comes into the affordable range with or without the tax credit. the XLT+ would actually be less than I am paying now.

All thoughts welcome.
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
XLT trim is what I would go for as I am not interested in the leather seating surfaces of the Lariat even though it has active cooling (ventilated seats).

I prefer the cloth seats out of all choices due to the hot weather and having the truck sit outside in the hot Southern California sun 10 months out of 12.

Planning on using it for daily commuting (HOV Carpool exempt) 25 miles in bumper to bumper traffic.
Sometimes will be used for fall/winter steelhead fishing trips in NorCal & PNW...

Only option I want is the Pro Pilot (lane centering, autonomous braking, 360 camera).

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
XLT trim is what I would go for as I am not interested in the leather seating surfaces of the Lariat even though it has active cooling (ventilated seats).

I prefer the cloth seats out of all choices due to the hot weather and having the truck sit outside in the hot Southern California sun 10 months out of 12.

Planning on using it for daily commuting (HOV Carpool exempt) 25 miles in bumper to bumper traffic.
Sometimes will be used for fall/winter steelhead fishing trips in NorCal & PNW...

Only option I want is the Pro Pilot (lane centering, autonomous braking, 360 camera).
Thanks - I appreciate the input. Baking in the sun isn't as big a concern in the Northeast, but I do understand. I have had leather in my Mustangs for years now and it is rare that I have an overheating issue (remote preconditioning should take care of that anyways :)).

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I have an ICE XLT and it comes with a lot of creature comforts that makes me forget it's a lower trim. Even the cloth seats are premium. If you are leasing I say go with a Lariat, if purchasing and plan on keeping I say you get the XLT.

The biggest problem with these EV's is there will come a time when Ford will stop supporting them with software updates, like phones.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have an ICE XLT and it comes with a lot of creature comforts that makes me forget it's a lower trim. Even the cloth seats are premium. If you are leasing I say go with a Lariat, if purchasing and plan on keeping I say you get the XLT.

The biggest problem with these EV's is there will come a time when Ford will stop supporting them with software updates, like phones.
Yeah - given this is a first year produce, I plan on using the Ford options plan (if you are not familiar, it is a balloon loan with a guaranteed buy back price - so like a lease, but you get to keep the tax incentive). That way it moves the risk to Ford instead of me if there are major problems and the value tanks. I tend to only keep vehicles for 3-4 years (max) anyways. It is a bad addiction.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
@sotek2345 go check out an ICE version of the F150 Lariat. That may help you decide.

I generally lean towards the Lariat for the luxury features but I'm waiting to see exactly what Ford offers with the Lightning trims before I make a decision. I generally like leather but the Lariats leather seats are kinda plain. So I may get an XLT install Katskinz leather covers.

I'm like you in that I've got got very little interest in Blue Cruise. I do want that 15" display but I don't HAVE to have it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Help Deciding on Trim 2022 f150 lightning owners mnualthumbnail (1)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
I’m going for a loaded up Lariat with the ER battery. Don’t see the need to go full Platinum as I don’t care about Blue Cruise. But it will depend how it prices out and if they let us pick our options or if we have to stick to equipment groups within the various trim packages. I definitely want the cooled seats, heated steering wheel, 9.6KW power full power output and most of the bells and whistles. Don’t care about the larger screen although I’ve been spoiled by large screens in Teslas and they’re great with navigation/ maps. The 12” screen on the base trim Pro that I got to ride in is still a great size and keeps the dash minimal. The vinyl seat in the Pro was comfortable.

I know the interior isn’t final on the Lariat truck they’re showing at the tour events and they didn’t want videos of the interior, but still pictures were OK…. The black with grey leather combo on the Lariat was nice looking. Would pair well with any of the exterior colors, looked great with the Atlas Blue. I’m not usually a fan of brighter blue, but Atlas was probably the best bright blue paint I’ve seen on a truck. I thought it looked great.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Yeah - given this is a first year produce, I plan on using the Ford options plan (if you are not familiar, it is a balloon loan with a guaranteed buy back price - so like a lease, but you get to keep the tax incentive). That way it moves the risk to Ford instead of me if there are major problems and the value tanks. I tend to only keep vehicles for 3-4 years (max) anyways. It is a bad addiction.
Trust me I am right there with you! I get rid of cars every 3 years also, but I really really like my ICE XLT so even though I have a Lightning Reserved I am still on the fence. It's all going to come down to pricing. I might also do Ford Options and just get a Lariat, buy it out at the end if Ford continues improving software.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
@sotek2345 go check out an ICE version of the F150 Lariat. That may help you decide.

I generally lean towards the Lariat for the luxury features but I'm waiting to see exactly what Ford offers with the Lightning trims before I make a decision. I generally like leather but the Lariats leather seats are kinda plain. So I may get an XLT install Katskinz leather covers.

I'm like you in that I've got got very little interest in Blue Cruise. I do want that 15" display but I don't HAVE to have it.
I have tried, but they are hard to find. Local dealer (that I have the Lightning reservation with - largest in my area) only had a few XLTs in stock and they had an aftermarket package that recovered the seats with leather. No Lariats. May have to try again in a few weeks.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Don't think that's the same. Your phone will turn into a brick when the telco inevitably shuts down the network it's running on. The EV should continue to perform it's primary functions as long as the battery can be charged. The connected features are nice but not essential for moving from point A to point B.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Don't think that's the same. Your phone will turn into a brick when the telco inevitably shuts down the network it's running on. The EV should continue to perform it's primary functions as long as the battery can be charged. The connected features are nice but not essential for moving from point A to point B.
The biggest thing is battery management/efficiency and software support. Yes, it's not the same but what is the same is the support for software that runs everything in the vehicle will eventually stop or you will receive minimal updates due to the actual hardware improving as the years go by.

I had this experience with my 18 Model 3 RWD. Once that Model was discontinued and the hardware in the newer Model 3's were improved there were updates that did not affect that specific model. Yes, the primary function will continue Point A to Point B.

bulger81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f-150
Get a loaded xlt and if u want leather go get katzkin leather put on after… $1500..beats spending an extra 5 to 10 grand that u would spent on an lariat..plus an XLT could be build quicker than a lariat

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Get a loaded xlt and if u want leather go get katzkin leather put on after… $1500..beats spending an extra 5 to 10 grand that u would spent on an lariat..plus an XLT could be build quicker than a lariat
I have considered that, but the Leather isn't the big deal to me - extra adjustability (10 way vs. 8 way) and seat cooling are far more important. I would actually prefer cloth with ventilation, but that isn't an option.

As for build timing, I would actually think Lariat would be prioritized. Higher profit margins for Ford.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
The biggest thing is battery management/efficiency and software support. Yes, it's not the same but what is the same is the support for software that runs everything in the vehicle will eventually stop or you will receive minimal updates due to the actual hardware improving as the years go by.

I had this experience with my 18 Model 3 RWD. Once that Model was discontinued and the hardware in the newer Model 3's were improved there were updates that did not affect that specific model. Yes, the primary function will continue Point A to Point B.
Yes, but does your M3 still work as when you bought it? Including S/W based components, e.g. Navigation?

bulger81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f-150
I have considered that, but the Leather isn't the big deal to me - extra adjustability (10 way vs. 8 way) and seat cooling are far more important. I would actually prefer cloth with ventilation, but that isn't an option.

As for build timing, I would actually think Lariat would be prioritized. Higher profit margins for Ford.
I get that, I like the lariat headlights vs xlt high package. I can See the cooling aspect being nice, but the heated seats I rarely used even in my old car that had it.. as far as lariat vs xlt getting priority.. who knows, I waited 3 months for my xlt order to delivery this spring,. I’d rather get a tremor over the lariat.. only bc I see more value in the performance aspect rather than luxury Features.. to each his own..
Sponsored