• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HELP! Home Charging - 50amp breaker with NEMA 14-50 receptacle the way to go?

RedWilly11

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2021 Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge
Occupation
Higher Ed Research
My wife drives a Volvo XC60 Recharge (about 20 miles pure EV) and I plan to get the Lightning, obviously. I currently do NOT have a 240v outlet in my garage but want one for both cars. I'm having an electrician install a 240v NEMA 14-50 receptacle on its own dedicated 50amp breaker later this week so that I can plug in the include Ford 32Amp home charger. I can also use this 240v receptacle for the Volvo, which should take about an hour to get those 20 miles...

I know the Ford 32amp home charger is slow, but after having the Volvo now for a while, it's really no big deal to keep a car plugged in overnight. And since the Volvo won't take long, and I only drive about 30 miles a day, I shouldn't really need to be plugged in overnight, every night. So, I should be close to a full battery every day on a couple of hours of charge except for when I take a longer trip.

Is the 50amp breaker with NEMA 14-50 receptacle the way I need to go?

Does anyone with Mach-E experience / 32Amp home charger experience think this is sufficient?

Any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So a few thoughts.

1) If you are planning on an ER truck, you will not be able to use the home power backup with this setup and will not be able to install the 80A EVSE Ford will give you.

2) 14-50 outlets are not designed for constant plugging and unplugging and will wear out (not the end of the world but something to be aware of). If you go this route, consider leaving the mobile EVSE plugged in to the wall and adding a hanger to hold it.

3) the Mobile EVSE is only ~20 ft. long, make sure that can reach both vehicles or you will have to swap them to charge.

Edit - bonus - a 14-50 outlet really isn't rated to be in use outdoors in inclement weather. Do you have a garage, or will this be outside?

OP
OP
RedWilly11

RedWilly11

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Higher Ed Research
So a few thoughts.

1) If you are planning on an ER truck, you will not be able to use the home power backup with this setup and will not be able to install the 80A EVSE Ford will give you.

2) 14-50 outlets are not designed for constant plugging and unplugging and will wear out (not the end of the world but something to be aware of). If you go this route, consider leaving the mobile EVSE plugged in to the wall and adding a hanger to hold it.

3) the Mobile EVSE is only ~20 ft. long, make sure that can reach both vehicles or you will have to swap them to charge.

Edit - bonus - a 14-50 outlet really isn't rated to be in use outdoors in inclement weather. Do you have a garage, or will this be outside?
Thanks for the reply!

1) I'm planning on the Standard Range. I've been working from home for the past 3+ years, and really only drive to my son's school, to the gym, and to Menards all within 7 miles from home. We typically take the Volvo on weekends. I maybe drive 300 miles every two weeks.

2)Yes, as with the Volvo charger currently, I have a hanger near the receptacle so it's not just dangling there. I do plug / un-plug it, but only because that receptacle is on the same breaker as my home water filtration system and everything else in the garage and one bathroom. Leaving everything plugged in and running has resulted in the breaker tripping and one fried GFCI so far... If The 14-50 will be on its own breaker, nothing else on it. If I keep it plugged in 24/7, will it continually draw power ($$)? Should I shut off the breaker when not in use?

3)Yes, the Lightning won't fit in my garage, but will be right outside. The 240v receptacle is going right next to the garage door, about 10 feet from where the Lightning's front fender will be. That 240V will also be in range of the Volvo so I can switch them around...

Bonus) You said the 14-50 is not rated for being outside, and it won't, but will it be ok that the Lightning is outside and that plug will be out there in the elements? I assume the plug area on the Lightning is similar to the Volvo, which appears to have a water-tight seal?? Am I right about that?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
You will be fine with the outlet out side as long as you install it in an outdoor box, something with a lid......something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Miady-Weathe...W,B00004YUNO,B092242DRV,B08LH8FGJC,B00009W3AA

Or you could install it just inside the garage door and just close the door on the cord, or even put an access hole through the door to pass the cord.....just don't open the door with the cord through it.

As far as drawing power while plugged in.......I don't think so, if it does I don't believe it will be enough to notice

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Thanks for the reply!

1) I'm planning on the Standard Range. I've been working from home for the past 3+ years, and really only drive to my son's school, to the gym, and to Menards all within 7 miles from home. We typically take the Volvo on weekends. I maybe drive 300 miles every two weeks.

2)Yes, as with the Volvo charger currently, I have a hanger near the receptacle so it's not just dangling there. I do plug / un-plug it, but only because that receptacle is on the same breaker as my home water filtration system and everything else in the garage and one bathroom. Leaving everything plugged in and running has resulted in the breaker tripping and one fried GFCI so far... If The 14-50 will be on its own breaker, nothing else on it. If I keep it plugged in 24/7, will it continually draw power ($$)? Should I shut off the breaker when not in use?

3)Yes, the Lightning won't fit in my garage, but will be right outside. The 240v receptacle is going right next to the garage door, about 10 feet from where the Lightning's front fender will be. That 240V will also be in range of the Volvo so I can switch them around...

Bonus) You said the 14-50 is not rated for being outside, and it won't, but will it be ok that the Lightning is outside and that plug will be out there in the elements? I assume the plug area on the Lightning is similar to the Volvo, which appears to have a water-tight seal?? Am I right about that?
From what I have read, the EVSE pulls a minimal amount of power when not plugged into a vehicle, on the order of a few cents worth per month

Should be fine with the Lightning outside - the EVSE is weatherproof, the plug itself is the concern.

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Your plan is perfect. Charge your truck all night after it gets down to 20% and charge the other car on off days.
Can you get an adapter, if required, to charge the Volvo with the Ford charger? EVSE equipment is universal across makes except for Tesla.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Is the 50amp breaker with NEMA 14-50 receptacle the way I need to go?

Does anyone with Mach-E experience / 32Amp home charger experience think this is sufficient?

Any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated!
This is plenty. And you can also upgrade to a 40A charger later, if it's needed. Most plug-in chargers come with a 14-50 plug.

OP
OP
RedWilly11

RedWilly11

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Higher Ed Research
Your plan is perfect. Charge your truck all night after it gets down to 20% and charge the other car on off days.
Can you get an adapter, if required, to charge the Volvo with the Ford charger? EVSE equipment is universal across makes except for Tesla.
Cool, glad that you guys are confirming that I'm on the right track.

I think, but am not sure, that the plug for the Volvo is the same that goes into the Lightning. They are both Type 1, correct?

I included a picture of my Volvo plug and port, along with the Lightning port from Motortrend.com (https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-charging-generator-power/).
The picture of the plug types is from https://wallbox.com/en_us/faqs-plug-types.

Ford F-150 Lightning HELP! Home Charging - 50amp breaker with NEMA 14-50 receptacle the way to go? Lightning Port

Ford F-150 Lightning HELP! Home Charging - 50amp breaker with NEMA 14-50 receptacle the way to go? Plug types.PNG

Ford F-150 Lightning HELP! Home Charging - 50amp breaker with NEMA 14-50 receptacle the way to go? Volvo Plu

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Another option might be to use a 120V outlet level 1 for one vehicle and the 240 level 2 for the other to avoid having to swap. Doesn't sound like you will use much battery capacity on a daily basis.

OP
OP
RedWilly11

RedWilly11

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Higher Ed Research
Another option might be to use a 120V outlet level 1 for one vehicle and the 240 level 2 for the other to avoid having to swap. Doesn't sound like you will use much battery capacity on a daily basis.
Yes, I likely will do that. When the electrician comes to install the 240v, he's going to add a 120v that's closer to where we park the Volvo, and it'll be on it's own breaker as well so it doesn't trip the breaker or fry the receptacle. I'll likely use the 120v for the Volvo 90% of the time, but it's nice to have the 240v option to get my wife a quick 20 miles.

Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost, 2017 Ram 1500
I think if I was to go through the expense of having an electrician add outlets and breakers, I would have them set it up for the home power option with the grid disconnect. Still add the extra 120v outlet for the Volvo

OP
OP
RedWilly11

RedWilly11

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Higher Ed Research
I think if I was to go through the expense of having an electrician add outlets and breakers, I would have them set it up for the home power option with the grid disconnect. Still add the extra 120v outlet for the Volvo
Can you explain a bit? The home power option - is that for the extended range version giving power back to the house when we lose power? I'm not planning for the extended range, so it wasn't on my radar. I haven't really been paying close attention to this, so do you have any idea what goes into that, and the cost?

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry.. I didn't know that the home power option was only on the longer range. If that is the case, disregard my rambling.. ;P

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know exactly what it requires... I didn't want to wait for the lightning, and bought a powerboost recently. I tried a quick google search, but didn't find any details; might have to call a dealer and ask

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Sorry.. I didn't know that the home power option was only on the longer range. If that is the case, disregard my rambling.. ;P
I think you can get home power with Standard range, but the Pro charger isn't included, so that would be an added expense.
Sponsored