• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Hitch cover LED brakelight ? Anyone have a solid, bright idea ?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Saw some trucks with hitch covers that were plain, brand logo, and some that light up when braking.

Anyone suggest something that would look good on a Lightning ?

I wanted a reverse and brake light combo but they don't look very solid - made cheaply with ABS plastics.

Any solid well built covers that have the Ford logo or better yet the Lightning logo ?

eBay $20 brake light:

Ford F-150 Lightning Hitch cover LED brakelight ? Anyone have a solid, bright idea ? s-l1600
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The Lightning may throw an error and disable safety systems because it thinks that a trailer is connected. You may have to find an alternative way to wire it if you want it to light up.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The Lightning may throw an error and disable safety systems because it thinks that a trailer is connected. You may have to find an alternative way to wire it if you want it to light up.
Correct - been that way for years with F-150s, and the Lightning is no exception. You can't hook something like this up, or a light bar, without tapping into the circuits before the taillights.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Correct - been that way for years with F-150s, and the Lightning is no exception. You can't hook something like this up, or a light bar, without tapping into the circuits before the taillights.
Wow, I had no idea - thought it was safe to tap into the turn signals, brake and reverse on the trailer connections in the old days when it was a "dumb" analog system.

Now with new technology that can sense a load on a circuit, it makes sense that Ford uses it to detect a trailer connection.

So my big question to tow experts:

If my Lightning has no tow options (no max tow, no tow tech), will tapping in cause any issue with my Lightning in other ways ?

@vandy1981 @sotek2345 @RickLightning @F150ROD

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Wow, I had no idea - thought it was safe to tap into the turn signals, brake and reverse on the trailer connections in the old days when it was a "dumb" analog system.

Now with new technology that can sense a load on a circuit, it makes sense that Ford uses it to detect a trailer connection.

If my Lightning has no tow options (no max tow, no tow tech), will tapping in cause any issue with my Lightning in other ways ?

@vandy1981 @sotek2345 @RickLightning @F150ROD
Sorry, no idea. I don't tow, just use the bed to haul things. And the last time I had to tap power back there was on a 2010.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Your tow packages are irrelevant. It thinks a trailer is connected. You can't do it without tapping in before lights.

You have to pull a taillight at a minimum. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/hopefully-end-all-how-do-i-wire-my-fing-tailgate-lightbar-514876/
Sponsored