• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home Charging Station recommendations?

Jetsfan17

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR, 2023 Mustang Mach E Premium
As Ford is sold out of the Connected Charge Station and I do not need a Ford Charge Station Pro since I have a whole home generator already I am looking for recommendations for what others are using. I will be direct wiring into my electrical system on a 240 line. Unless someone thinks that just adding an outside plug with 240 volts and then plugging in the Charge Station will work.

I do not have a garage so the station will be mounted on the wall of my house next to the driveway.

Thank you to all who respond.
Sponsored

Jsfrye

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat SR
I use ChargePoint 60amp and like it. I also have a slight used one for sale if you are interested.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
Over on Reddit's r/evcharging, they have a list of "proven high-quality" home chargers. For an SR Lightning, you ideally want a charger that will deliver 11.2kW, so that would be a unit that is on a 60A circuit and delivers up to 48A to the vehicle. So from the list on r/evcharging, that would be:
  • ChargePoint Home Flex (about $750)
  • Wallbox Pulsar Plus 48A (about $700)
  • Tesla J1772 Wall Connector (about $550)
  • Clipper Creek HCS-60 (about $1000)
  • Emporia EV Charger (about $400)
A few of these are available with NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 plugs, but ideally they should be hardwired to a 60A circuit. If you use a plug and receptacle connection, the charger would be limited to 40A (9.6kW), and people have reported issues with overheating receptacles.

Sponsored

cjb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat SR, 2016 Mazda CX-9
I have a ChargePoint Home Flex that is rented from my utility as part of their off-peak charging program. I had it hard wired into my garage's panel and have been generally happy with it's performance. There have been a few nights when it's been plugged in and not charged when scheduled at midnight, but I'm not sure whether that was a charger or a truck side issue (as I have my charging schedule through the truck and not the charger).

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
You didnt tell us what your circuit limitations are. In my case I was limited to 30 amps unless I wanted to spring for a new service panel in both the house and the garage. Given my driving needs of less than 150 miles a day, a 240volt 30 amp circuit allows 24 amp charging which will top me off overnight.

So for a 24 amp charger I went with an AEFA Total EV 24 amp charger with a 14-30 plug to match the receptacle I already had. $400.

spadesaspade

First Name
Spadeit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning, Hyundai Sonata
Chargepoint home flex. Bought it new open box for 400 something with a 6-50 plug. Hardwired it for 60A and it outputs 48A (80% at 240V) and installed outside (in a partially covered spot) since the truck does not fit in the garage. Did all the work myself, it was pretty straight forward. No issues so far in the last 5 months. I like that that I can control the charging schedule ( I get free 250kW/month from the supplier between 11 pm to 6 am). The quality of hardware it top notch+internet connectivity is nice to have. I wanted to stick to a company that would stay around for a while for internet connectivity purposes.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I really like my grizzl-e duo, nice full 9.6kw from 14-50 outlet. It has two hookups for a hypothetical second EV some day. If two are plugged in it will split the power 50-50

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I had the Autel 50A before my FCSP arrived, and it was good. Don't have any experience with other ones to compare it to, but it was good enough that I certainly wouldn't pay any more than that for something different.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I have the Grizzl-E Duo as well and really like it. Initially, I configured it to 24A to fit my 30A circuit. When my 50A circuit went in, I reconfigured for 40A. It charges Lightning and MME nicely. If I need a full charge on the Lightning, I leave the MME unplugged and get 40A charging, otherwise, it splits the charge then switches automatically to 32A/8A when the first one is topped up (usually the MME tops up first).

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I use ChargePoint 60amp and like it. I also have a slight used one for sale if you are interested.
Just to clarify, this is a 50amp model on a 60amp circuit, right?

dgargano

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
IT Manager
I really like my grizzl-e duo, nice full 9.6kw from 14-50 outlet. It has two hookups for a hypothetical second EV some day. If two are plugged in it will split the power 50-50
As Ford is sold out of the Connected Charge Station and I do not need a Ford Charge Station Pro since I have a whole home generator already I am looking for recommendations for what others are using. I will be direct wiring into my electrical system on a 240 line. Unless someone thinks that just adding an outside plug with 240 volts and then plugging in the Charge Station will work.

I do not have a garage so the station will be mounted on the wall of my house next to the driveway.

Thank you to all who respond.
I also use the Grizzl-e. Worked pefect for my Tesla and no problems so far with Lightning. I intentionally bought this charger because of its heavy duty cord, but that might be a drawback for some.

VTRedWingsFan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Escape
Occupation
IT delivery
My utility provided me an Emporia. hardwired for 48amp/11.6kw on dedicated 60amp circuit. Works well. May give their monitoring sensors a try at somepoint.
Sponsored