• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
More than a few companies have some such similar products. Are you saying that this is what Ford will offer?

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
I mean... it's cool and all but a properly run 14-50 with a transfer switch sure seems like a better deal ;)

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Ohhh, I see it is the Delta products.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
More than a few companies have some such similar products. Are you saying that this is what Ford will offer?
Car to share one?

This product while expensive just to get back-up power from the Lightning, is pretty innovative.

- It is a 10kW solar inverter
- It DC couples solar
- It has two ~10kW DC-DC converters
- It essentially has two battery ports with DC-DC converter to unify
- Supports HV batteries (a pro and con with most market options 48V)
- EVSE port looks bidirectional even though Ford has said Lighting will not charge on the DC pins of the 80APro charge connection
- Some form of UL9540 compliance or listing for safety
- Bluetooth low energy, optional wifi, and 4G communications ( 3G already out of date)
- Support of AP Systems and Tigo rapid shutdown systems for solar

Questions remain like:

- Does this price include the MID, dark start battery, and cellular connection the Playbook described as coming with the HIS, or is this just the main component of the HIS.
- Is the "dark start battery" described in the Playbook required to be at least 5kWh like spec sheet describes for the battery connection port with no DC-DC converter (DC -grid forming voltage). That is a lot of capacity to have to buy.
- What are the MID specs/configuration. Does it include an auto transformer to get 120VAC from the 240VAC produced in off-grid mode.

OP
OP

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
The Home Integration System will arrive in 3 packages.
  1. Bidirectional Inverter
  2. Microgrid Integration Device
  3. Dark Start Battery

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Does this take the place of a solar inverter for a traditional rooftop solar install?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Car to share one?

This product while expensive just to get back-up power from the Lightning, is pretty innovative.

- It is a 10kW solar inverter
- It DC couples solar
- It has two ~10kW DC-DC converters
- It essentially has two battery ports with DC-DC converter to unify
- Supports HV batteries (a pro and con with most market options 48V)
- EVSE port looks bidirectional even though Ford has said Lighting will not charge on the DC pins of the 80APro charge connection
- Some form of UL9540 compliance or listing for safety
- Bluetooth low energy, optional wifi, and 4G communications ( 3G already out of date)
- Support of AP Systems and Tigo rapid shutdown systems for solar

Questions remain like:

- Does this price include the MID, dark start battery, and cellular connection the Playbook described as coming with the HIS, or is this just the main component of the HIS.
- Is the "dark start battery" described in the Playbook required to be at least 5kWh like spec sheet describes for the battery connection port with no DC to DC converter (DC -grid forming voltage). That is a lot of capacity to have to buy.
- What are the MID specs/configuration. Does it include an auto transformer to get 120VAC from the 240VAC produced in off-grid mode.
Am I reading the diagram correctly? First diagram shows the EVSE/HV going into the inverter. But on the block diagram it looks like the EVSE and HV lands after the inverter an on the line.

That might not matter for most folks, but if that's the case that means there's potential compatibility with existing microgrid systems (ie, SMA Sunny Island) with just the EVSE box. I can't wait to see the whole manual.

For anyone not familiar with Delta, I have a 48V DC Generator made by Delta, picked it up at a surplus auction after I found out T-Mobile/Sprint used them as backup for their cell towers. The equipment has been rock solid but the manuals and support have been terrible as they're geared towards commercial customers. So for anyone who's thinking about this as a DIY, it's possible but be prepared for limited support. Just my 2c.

Sponsored

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Well we have 15.4kw worth of panels, if this is just 10kw I wonder that works?

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Am I reading the diagram correctly? First diagram shows the EVSE/HV going into the inverter. But on the block diagram it looks like the EVSE and HV lands after the inverter an on the line.

That might not matter for most folks, but if that's the case that means there's potential compatibility with existing microgrid systems (ie, SMA Sunny Island) with just the EVSE box. I can't wait to see the whole manual.

For anyone not familiar with Delta, I have a 48V DC Generator made by Delta, picked it up at a surplus auction after I found out T-Mobile/Sprint used them as backup for their cell towers. The equipment has been rock solid but the manuals and support have been terrible as they're geared towards commercial customers. So for anyone who's thinking about this as a DIY, it's possible but be prepared for limited support. Just my 2c.
Keep in mind this is more than an inverter, which is something that converts DC to AC. Here the top right block is an inverter+rectifier because it can presumably is bidirectional and can charge battery/EVSE from grid connection.

Both the EVSE and "Battery" connect to the common DC side of the system. However, the EVSE connects through a DC-DC converter to match the voltages. The "Battery" (not Lightning battery) is essentially the master DC voltage that the EVSE and solar match up too.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Well we have 15.4kw worth of panels, if this is just 10kw I wonder that works?
If you have 15.4kW, chances are you already have them split. My 50kW is split between 5 different inverters as an example, only 2 of which land on my microgrid (SMA Sunny Island)

The electrician/installer should be able to redirect/replace one of your existing inverters with this one.

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Hrm... I also have solar but it's a leased system from Sunpower. I don't even know that I could do anything to modify it with this.