• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home Integration System - Does Sunrun need to coordinate with the local Utility?

Broonarmy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, Smoked Quartz
Sorry to hear about your problems. My system was installed a few weeks ago and does work. I had my YouTube sponsor, Qmerit do the installation, and while we needed to contact Ford with some questions, it worked the first time we powered it up.
I'll be posting a video on the installation in a couple of weeks.
Are Qmerit offically allowed to install FCSP with Fords support either with or without HIS? i.e. can Sun Run be offically avoided for installation (I assume they will remain the only providers of equipment) without lots of hassel in getting things up and running and registered in Ford Pass app?

SunRun already proved to me that they are not on top of their game. I had my truck a couple of weeks but no FCSP. I called SunRun yesterday to enquire where it was and they told me the truck was not marked as sold so they would not trigger sending the charger. Only the dealer could make this happen. I called my dealer (Fremont Ford, who honestly have been excellent throughout my delivery saga) and they said they did everything required on the day I picked up the Truck so were completely confused.

I decided I didn't have time to chase down the issue yesterday left it as a problem for another day as I already have a level 2 charger. Today the FCSP showed up??? I was getting FedEx notification for a package since Tuesday so actually the thing had shipped even when Sun Run were telling me the truck wasn't registered as sold. (I thought the FEDEX notifications were for the front license plate mounting bracket I ordered!) SunRun have no clue what is going on. (Sorry that's a bit of a long story for what most here already knew)

I really hope QMerit are certified by Ford and can do the job! @tommolog please let us know. (and keep up with the great videos, I felt like I knew my truck weeks before it arrived :) )
Sponsored

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
Are Qmerit offically allowed to install FCSP with Fords support either with or without HIS? i.e. can Sun Run be offically avoided for installation (I assume they will remain the only providers of equipment) without lots of hassel in getting things up and running and registered in Ford Pass app?

SunRun already proved to me that they are not on top of their game. I had my truck a couple of weeks but no FCSP. I called SunRun yesterday to enquire where it was and they told me the truck was not marked as sold so they would not trigger sending the charger. Only the dealer could make this happen. I called my dealer (Fremont Ford, who honestly have been excellent throughout my delivery saga) and they said they did everything required on the day I picked up the Truck so were completely confused.

I decided I didn't have time to chase down the issue yesterday left it as a problem for another day as I already have a level 2 charger. Today the FCSP showed up??? I was getting FedEx notification for a package since Tuesday so actually the thing had shipped even when Sun Run were telling me the truck wasn't registered as sold. (I thought the FEDEX notifications were for the front license plate mounting bracket I ordered!) SunRun have no clue what is going on. (Sorry that's a bit of a long story for what most here already knew)

I really hope QMerit are certified by Ford and can do the job! @tommolog please let us know. (and keep up with the great videos, I felt like I knew my truck weeks before it arrived :) )
I'm not 100% clear on what your definition of "officially" is, but let me clear up a few things:
1) Sunrun is Ford's selected and recommended partner to provide and install IBP.

2) Ford has already stated publicly (multiple times on my podcast) that ANYONE is allowed to install the system and that Ford will provide the necessary support to assist the installation for its customers if needed. They do however caution against hiring someone that isn't qualified because this isn't a simple installation.

3) Currently, only Sunrun can initiate the connection between IBP and your FordPass app but Ford told me that by the end of this month, that will be corrected and any installer will be able to link the system to the FordPass app.

4) Since I had Qmerit install my system, it's currently not linked to my FordPass app. It works perfectly, but I cannot control the system through the app yet. Therefore, I have the system set to automatic operation, so it turns on automatically if the power is out and will run until the battery percentage hits the shutoff point I have set in the Lightning (50 miles of remaining range)

5) For me, the app access will be good to have, but it's not necessary because I would always have the system set to automatically turn on. In any event, Ford told me on the two phone calls we had that they are very close to releasing the update that will allow any installer to link the system. I will probably be the first person to test it out and will post it here once I have the update.

6) Personally, I don't like that Sunrun is tasked with shipping FPCS to the customer. It should be in the frunk of the Lightning when you take delivery or you should get it a few weeks before delivery from your dealer so you can have it installed and ready to charge your Lightning on day one. But I don't think we can blame SunRun for that, it's most likely that Ford just pushed the task off to them.

I hope that helped. My IBP video will be going up on my YouTube channel this week.

Broonarmy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, Smoked Quartz
I'm not 100% clear on what your definition of "officially" is, but let me clear up a few things:
1) Sunrun is Ford's selected and recommended partner to provide and install IBP.

2) Ford has already stated publicly (multiple times on my podcast) that ANYONE is allowed to install the system and that Ford will provide the necessary support to assist the installation for its customers if needed. They do however caution against hiring someone that isn't qualified because this isn't a simple installation.

3) Currently, only Sunrun can initiate the connection between IBP and your FordPass app but Ford told me that by the end of this month, that will be corrected and any installer will be able to link the system to the FordPass app.

4) Since I had Qmerit install my system, it's currently not linked to my FordPass app. It works perfectly, but I cannot control the system through the app yet. Therefore, I have the system set to automatic operation, so it turns on automatically if the power is out and will run until the battery percentage hits the shutoff point I have set in the Lightning (50 miles of remaining range)

5) For me, the app access will be good to have, but it's not necessary because I would always have the system set to automatically turn on. In any event, Ford told me on the two phone calls we had that they are very close to releasing the update that will allow any installer to link the system. I will probably be the first person to test it out and will post it here once I have the update.

6) Personally, I don't like that Sunrun is tasked with shipping FPCS to the customer. It should be in the frunk of the Lightning when you take delivery or you should get it a few weeks before delivery from your dealer so you can have it installed and ready to charge your Lightning on day one. But I don't think we can blame SunRun for that, it's most likely that Ford just pushed the task off to them.

I hope that helped. My IBP video will be going up on my YouTube channel this week.
Your thoroughness of response is fantastic thank you so much. (I’m not sure exactly what I meant by ‘officially’ either so you had no chance 😂)

Given the info you provided, I’m going to give QMerit a shot.

Only thing I have to consider now is to install back up or just a simple charge station install. When we had the driveway laid I had 1”conduit run under it to a position I could put a charger on a pedestal away from the house. (Way before lightning and backup was a thing) But this won’t be big enough to run AC and DC wiring so the position can’t be used if I go for backup. 😖

For backup install I will have to shift back to putting FCSP on outside of garage wall near the main panel and solar inverter which is not ideal placement.

1st world problems but thanks again for the detailed info.

smax64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09 F250 FX4
Occupation
Firefighter
As several others have noted, it's been quite the experience working with Sunrun to have the Home Integration System installed. At some point I'll write up the entire experience to assist others going this route but for now I have a question for anyone that has gone through this with Sunrun. Does Sunrun need to coordinate with the local utility to complete the installation? We had most, if not all of the equipment installed by Sunrun a couple months ago but it is not fully operational. Sunrun is claiming that they are waiting on the local utility. Has anyone else run across this?
Yes, in New York at least

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
Sorry to hear about your problems. My system was installed a few weeks ago and does work. I had my YouTube sponsor, Qmerit do the installation, and while we needed to contact Ford with some questions, it worked the first time we powered it up.
I'll be posting a video on the installation in a couple of weeks.
What number did you use to get help from ford?
Sponsored