• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Hot shower system for the frunk?

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
I want to install a hot shower system in the frunk for winter surf sessions. A demand pump like this one and an inline heater could send water from an ice chest or bladder to a shower head. Problem is I can't find an inline water heater with energy demand lower than the 2.4kW that the frunk power outlets provide. Anyone thought about doing this and found a good solution?
Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I want to install a hot shower system in the frunk for winter surf sessions. A demand pump like this one and an inline heater could send water from an ice chest or bladder to a shower head. Problem is I can't find an inline water heater with energy demand lower than the 2.4kW that the frunk power outlets provide. Anyone thought about doing this and found a good solution?
Given the limited power, it might not be feasible to heat the water enough in a single pass, so maybe something like this that takes a little time to heat a tank of water, then you use it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-M...G7x8V7E88yG8S09qvNxoCjI8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat

Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
You're going to want 2, ideally 3 gallons per minute flow rate. Assuming a winter water temp of around 50°, you're looking at needing a 50° rise. A 120 volt unit will be lucky to give you half a gallon a minute.

Your best bet is to run a cord back to the back to utilize the 240v power and pair that with a 7.2kW max heater.

Or, preheat the water and just use a small pump to pressurize it.

TLDR, it takes a huge amount of energy to heat water.

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
You're going to want 2, ideally 3 gallons per minute flow rate. Assuming a winter water temp of around 50°, you're looking at needing a 50° rise. A 120 volt unit will be lucky to give you half a gallon a minute.

Your best bet is to run a cord back to the back to utilize the 240v power and pair that with a 7.2kW max heater.

Or, preheat the water and just use a small pump to pressurize it.

TLDR, it takes a huge amount of energy to heat water.
Thanks. I am learning that. I currently throw hot bottles in an ice chest and pour them over my head when I get out of the water. Maybe I will stick with that, or buy the RinseKit with the heat stick. They told me they will be making a 120V version soon.

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks. I am learning that. I currently throw hot bottles in an ice chest and pour them over my head when I get out of the water. Maybe I will stick with that, or buy the RinseKit with the heat stick. They told me they will be making a 120V version soon.
You could hack something together, like a 5 gallon jug, a 120v immersion heater, and a dispenser pump connected to a shower head... It'd take 15 minutes to heat up (which I'm guessing is 14 minutes too long) and would be clunky.

You could also leave the truck on to keep prob power on, and add a temp controller to regulate the immersion heater. Now you basically have a full bore hot water heater in the truck. But it's gonna be more plug and pray than plug and play.

Just spitballing ideas.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
You could hack something together, like a 5 gallon jug, a 120v immersion heater, and a dispenser pump connected to a shower head... It'd take 15 minutes to heat up (which I'm guessing is 14 minutes too long) and would be clunky.

You could also leave the truck on to keep prob power on, and add a temp controller to regulate the immersion heater. Now you basically have a full bore hot water heater in the truck. But it's gonna be more plug and pray than plug and play.

Just spitballing ideas.
Yep. We have an Anova sous vide heat stick. Hang it on the side of an ice chest. Use a demand pump with a pickup hose in the ice chest. Leave the truck on while I surf. That would work!

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Starting with hot water will help a lot too. Maintaining temp is much easier than heating.

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
You should develop something and sell it! Plenty of surfers have money (at least out here in San Diego) and electric cars are more and more common. I think if you were looking for a product that would work across many vehicles you would need something to work on 120v and 1KW. As others have pointed out would push you towards a heated tank. But that is not an all bad solution. Plug it in prior to a surf session and have 5 gallons ready when you get out in an hour...
Sponsored