• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How dark is too dark for window tint?

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
As we are all excitedly getting closer to taking delivery of our sweet new trucks!, the time has come to prepare for some “upgrades” I as an Arizona resident not only like the look but NEED tinted windows to survive the summers! One of my dirt priorities is getting tint installed. That being said I also like the look of nice dark window contrasting my star white baby. Question for you all…

1. Are you planning to tint beyond the factory tint? (I believe OEM is approximately 18-20%)

2. Does anyone have photo examples of tint percentages on their vehicles that that wouldn’t mind posting for reference?

I’m torn over 5% all around. Personally I like the look but maybe too dark? Or 15-18% to match the factory tint.

Thanks for your input Folks!
Sponsored

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
5% for sure on the back seat windows and back cab window, 15% max on the fronts (although being in the NW don't have quite the same needs)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I live in NY so anything beyond factory tint is illegal and will get you stopped. It is also tested every year at you annual inspection.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I live in NY so anything beyond factory tint is illegal and will get you stopped. It is also tested every year at you annual inspection.
That’s unfortunate. We do have laws on tint but it’s not strictly enforced. Heck our troopers and fire departments are rolling literally blacked out

Sponsored

cag

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Police Dispatcher
Just a reminder guys that 5% is limosine levels of black. Its hard to see at night with it. I had 20% and that was pretty dark but i'd say thats a good place to start if you want tint.

Want to cruise the highway on a bright summer day and enjoy the sun? Gotta open the windows. Its one thing i missed about tinted windows. Sometimes you like the privacy sure. But i really liked enjoying the bright day with my windows up. Here in the pacific NW we dont get a lot of sun and i had to enjoy it whenever possible.

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Just a reminder guys that 5% is limosine levels of black. Its hard to see at night with it. I had 20% and that was pretty dark but i'd say thats a good place to start if you want tint.
Deep tints look cool but consider the safety of pedestrians, bicyclists and other motorists who rely on driver eye contact for safe transit. Trucks and SUVs are already very dangerous for pedestrians due to poor sightlines and overall body shape.

cag

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Police Dispatcher
Yeah on 5% you can forget about any sort of gesture communication with drivers/peds. Its jet black on a sunny day.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Now leaning towards 15-18%.
If I’m not mistaken the oem is 18-20% which i believe will appear darker when the front windows are tined.
Thank you all for your input!

also. Any photo examples would be great!

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
For a reference point, the texas limit is 25% on the front windows. That ends up noticeably lighter than the factory rear window tints. So you are on track with 15-18%. I will admit the last couple of vehicles I have left untinted, and have enjoyed the better visibility at night.

One tinted truck used to have bad reflections of the center console in the side windows, looked like headlights coming.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s 5%? Man I love the look! But I see the visual dilemma at night. However the truck has 360 cameras and lighting so maybe I’m good 🤔

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
That’s 5%? Man I love the look! But I see the visual dilemma at night. However the truck has 360 cameras and lighting so maybe I’m good 🤔
Yeah 5% and definitely a problem at night at times especially in dark areas. Not so much on well lit roads. Depends the area you drive
Sponsored