• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How many Ford Lightnings do we have in Europe?

bquist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning PRO 2022
Occupation
Electronics Technician
Hi folks! I am curious to know how many on this forum come from Europe and have already imported Lightning to EU. Would be interesting to know if you found a way to connect your truck to the ford app? I dont seem to get any connectivity, not even though my car is connected to Wifi it still does not show up in the app... In the app it is still at its last location in USA (but it is now located in Iceland)
Sponsored

OP
OP

bquist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Technician
nobody? :rolleyes:

OP
OP

bquist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Technician
The truck requires cell phone service to work
Do you know if I can swap out the sim card to get cell phone service working? Or is there no physical sim card?

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Hi folks! I am curious to know how many on this forum come from Europe and have already imported Lightning to EU. Would be interesting to know if you found a way to connect your truck to the ford app? I dont seem to get any connectivity, not even though my car is connected to Wifi it still does not show up in the app... In the app it is still at its last location in USA (but it is now located in Iceland)
I am selling my '22 Lightning.
You can export it to your country but good luck with OTA updates...

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/22-lariat-sr-lightning-6k-miles-73k.14068/

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
There are a couple Lightnings that have made it to the UAE... Of course, that's not the EU... No physical SIM card for cellular access to swap out, but that's not the real issue. The eSIM appears to carrier-locked to AT&T. If it were open, it could presumably be easily connected to any network we choose.

Cell service is not required to operate the truck, but none of the navigation, FordPass or any connected features work without it. Updates can still happen when connected via WiFi... I don't know if updates are sent to areas that identify outside North America.... Not to mention all the other services. The truck does maintain some WiFi presence. I can check mine via FordPass in my garage, where I have absolutely zero cell service, but WiFi is present and connected.

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
I don't know if there are many ford dealerships in Iceland, but I would start by reaching out to them. They may have encountered something similar and have a workaround. Maybe reach out to Ford corporate as well, explain your situation, and see if they can somehow remotely unlock the esim (maybe via wifi) for you.

Many other U.S. Ford models use a similar setup and im sure they've been exported to other countries, so im sure you're not the only one that encountered this problem. You may want to check some European Ford forums as well to see if anyone found a solution.

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
I let some visiting Norwegian co-workers drive my Lightning last fall. One really loved it and asked his Ford dealer about availability. The dealer told him Ford was planning to introduce it there in about 24 months. I can't verify that and would have thought Ford would be more inclined to export their smaller, EV follow-on truck to Europe.

OP
OP

bquist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Technician
There are a couple Lightnings that have made it to the UAE... Of course, that's not the EU... No physical SIM card for cellular access to swap out, but that's not the real issue. The eSIM appears to carrier-locked to AT&T. If it were open, it could presumably be easily connected to any network we choose.

Cell service is not required to operate the truck, but none of the navigation, FordPass or any connected features work without it. Updates can still happen when connected via WiFi... I don't know if updates are sent to areas that identify outside North America.... Not to mention all the other services. The truck does maintain some WiFi presence. I can check mine via FordPass in my garage, where I have absolutely zero cell service, but WiFi is present and connected.
Thanks Monkey, Im interested to see if you can connect to the car through Ford Pass app with no cellular and only using WiFi. maybe you are correct that updates will not be sent to areas outside of NA, and maybe the car simply wont even connect to ford pass when it is outside of NA, no matter if it has cellular connectivity or not...

Sponsored
OP
OP

bquist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Technician

did you get a chance to try it in your garage without cellular and only using wifi? :)

Kman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I also exported my Lightning and have the same issue. No navigation or Fordpass app, and the last update was when it was in the USA. Im not surprised, but thought it would update when connected to Wi-Fi, but it doesnā€™t. Very disappointing.
Are you sure its not possible to change the SIM card? I mean, there are millions of Fords vehicles outside the USA, surely some have navigation and Ford-pass connectivity.
Appreciate any feedback or advise you can offer.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
I also exported my Lightning and have the same issue. No navigation or Fordpass app, and the last update was when it was in the USA. Im not surprised, but thought it would update when connected to Wi-Fi, but it doesnā€™t. Very disappointing.
Are you sure its not possible to change the SIM card? I mean, there are millions of Fords vehicles outside the USA, surely some have navigation and Ford-pass connectivity.
Appreciate any feedback or advise you can offer.
Interesting, since the EU has lots of Mach E running around and they get updates.

Probably a code change needed ?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Interesting, since the EU has lots of Mach E running around and they get updates.

Probably a code change needed ?
The Mach has a design specifically for Europe. There are several differences. Charging is a big one.

The Lightning was designed exclusIvely for North America. Iā€™m not sure how youā€˜d even charge one in Europe unless there is a CCS2 to CCS1 adapter available. You certainly wonā€™t find any J1772 level 2s there.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
The Mach has a design specifically for Europe. There are several differences. Charging is a big one.

The Lightning was designed exclusIvely for North America. Iā€™m not sure how youā€˜d even charge one in Europe unless there is a CCS2 to CCS1 adapter available. You certainly wonā€™t find any J1772 level 2s there.
When I was in Paris a few years ago, I thought I saw street parking meters with J1772 chargers ?

Lots of Parisian taxis were plugged into them all up and down the streets in all the districts...
Sponsored